Drove an 8 sod ram yesterday...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is it like the chargers and journeys with the tube but no dipstick, go buy the dipstick at the dealer and a scan tool to see the trans temp so you can correlate that with the mm on the stick and a graph that you print out off alldata lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Hemi395 -----

The 6 speed is also sealed. ;)

Umm, mine has dipstick and I've already changed..

A lot of new trannys are sealed these days, which I don't like.

I thought I read somewhere that 8 speed trans fluid doesnt need to be changed. It last a lifetime...
Since its SEALED

Last edited:

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
Hey, you like what you like. I love my v6 with the 8 speed. To me it feels like I'm driving a semi because of all the gears. They are really smooth. Can't wait to swap that trans oil with some synthetic and see the difference.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, you like what you like. I love my v6 with the 8 speed. To me it feels like I'm driving a semi because of all the gears. They are really smooth. Can't wait to swap that trans oil with some synthetic and see the difference.

It already has synthetic in it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Even if it didn't already come with synthetic in it how much difference is it really going to make? It's like changing your engine oil to synthetic, it makes you all warm and fuzzy but you never notice a difference. (yes I know some hemi engines do tick and switching helps, I was more referring to his v6).

BULL55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI 8 SPEED 4X4 3.21 GEAR
Pushing 1300 miles on my 5.7 8 speed now,with a 3.21 gearing in the rear. It is smooth as silk shifting and the power band good at any speed. I am really happy so far!

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
x2

Don't worry, just let them keep thinking they have a 6 speed..
haaha

Always degenerates into a ******' contest if given enough time! :crazy: Pretty soon, we're going to have a Mack driver with an 18 speed come on and tell us all to kiss his dipstick. :naughty:

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I just hope they don't put those nissan-type transmissions in these vehicles..ever.

drove this chick home in her maxima once, i was like why isnt this getting outta first gear? why am i still in first gear?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just hope they don't put those nissan-type transmissions in these vehicles..ever.

drove this chick home in her maxima once, i was like why isnt this getting outta first gear? why am i still in first gear?

Are you referring to a cvt?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Are you referring to a cvt?

Yes, that would be a CVT..

Pretty wild driving one, kept waiting for it to shift. lol
But I don't know what would cost more the replace though. A CVT or the 8 Speed??

Last edited:

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't feel shifts in a CVT? I've never been in a car with one.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Cvt. one long constantly varying gear. Had a buddy with a five year old Audi a4 that blew one as part of a bottom out collision and the insurance totaled the car rather than replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife's Altima has a CVT
It's pretty cool
You can be accelerating and stay at the same rpm as your speed rises

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Cvt. one long constantly varying gear. Had a buddy with a five year old Audi a4 that blew one as part of a bottom out collision and the insurance totaled the car rather than replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any idea what the belts run? i know it's like $400 on my ATV so i'm guessing between there and $1000 if not more

i wouldn't want a CVT on a car tho, never know when that belt is gonna go and if they get wet you're not going anywhere

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think they use some sort of a chain on some and conical gears on others...