Drove an 8 sod ram yesterday...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 6spd will adapt to my driving? How long does that take? I have 2700 miles on the truck

It took about 8k miles before I became happy with my 6 speed. I'm not sure if that was the tranny learning me, or just me getting used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It took about 8k miles before I became happy with my 6 speed. I'm not sure if that was the tranny learning me, or just me getting used to it.

Mine was about the same
No. They are sealed and unserviceable units.

Now I'm definitely glad I have the 6 speed. I wonder how these 8 speeds will be doing when they hit 100k...

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't like transmissions in a truck without a dipstick....

Yeah, I gotta admit that part spooks me a little. You should see the **** show to even check the levels, nevermind add. It's a dealer job for sure.

I guess the oil dipstick and the dipstick in my drivers seat are all my truck needs now :naughty:

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
As an owner of previous trucks (an 03 silverado, 06 f150 and now a 14' RAM), I can say, based on my experience, that I really like my 8 speed.

At first, when I test drove the truck, the shift points and quick shifting was a suprise. I did not know what to think at first. It was different but I kept an open mind. I test drove the f150 ecoboost, 5.0 f150, 6.2 f150, 5.3 silverado and 5.7 tundra. All nice trucks. No doubt about it. The RAM, in my opinion, felt quicker off the line (check out my thread "ate my first ecoboost" and it was super smooth.

I find in my previous trucks, the transmission would exhaust a gear and shift. The 8-speed, is like a pro boxer, it shifts and down shifts quick and is on point. Stays right in the power band. You have to be open minded and let the trucks performance speak for itself.

I got the 3.92 gearing and I love it. A fast and capable truck. If the 8 speed is not for you, for whatever reason, buy your truck now cuz the 6 speeds are in their way out. Bye bye.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the 8 speed doesn't have a dipstip? so what happens long term if it's low, or needs to be change? Only the dealer can do it? I bet it's not cheap.

Also what is the next time you service the 8 speed tranny? Oil can't stay in there forever

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So the 8 speed doesn't have a dipstip? so what happens long term if it's low, or needs to be change? Only the dealer can do it? I bet it's not cheap.

Also what is the next time you service the 8 speed tranny? Oil can't stay in there forever
Well, according to them- it can stay in forever. I don't agree with that either.

If what I was reading online is correct, the filler is behind the torque convertor. Drop transmission, stand upright on tail, fill accordingly. Can't check the level either. The sealed for life units on some (like the F150) still had a way of checking fluid without dropping the tranny. Hell, even volkswagen has a rudimentary way of doing their sealed units.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's ********. I would never believe any kind of oil will last forever. It's loses viscosity and it breaks down even if it's sealed with no air. I mean just the seasons alone can beat a transmission up. Jumping from the summer head to the winter cold has an effect. And I haven't event talked about the towing aspect.

OP
OP
L

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn I can't service my transmission? That's crappy imo.

Sure you can hang out!

mmwaggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Must be a 2014 thing because mine definitely has a dipstick. I pulled it out just the other day...

You have the 6 speed. I think it's only the 8 that is perma sealed.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a dip stick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members