Air bags and Air shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I've read through lots of good info on 'lifting' the front end and such but what I'm looking for is a way to add a little payload capacity to the rear of my 2010 Laramie 1500 4x4. I frequently put a tongue weight of 1000 lbs or so and although the truck rides smooth and straight, the back end sags, as you can imagine. I tried the Firestone air bags inside the coil springs but so far, I've had them fail, twice. They actually cracked and blew the bottom of the bag. It didn't seem like it was from the weight but just fatigue. I'm thinking of an adjustable air shock but I think the whole ABS braking thing makes air shocks an unacceptable issue.

So, I'm looking for shocks it seems. Any suggestions on how I provide a little relief for the suspension on this truck?

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Really, I have the Firestone airbags on my truck for almost a year and use it to level the rear up and I constantly haul a four wheeler and on weekends a 24ft poonton boat and they always level me out and they are still running great with no leaks since day one. But I believe we don't have the same product, you have air shocks?

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
They do warranty there product, I haven't had any problem with my but then again I'm not putting that much weight on it.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've read through lots of good info on 'lifting' the front end and such but what I'm looking for is a way to add a little payload capacity to the rear of my 2010 Laramie 1500 4x4. I frequently put a tongue weight of 1000 lbs or so and although the truck rides smooth and straight, the back end sags, as you can imagine. I tried the Firestone air bags inside the coil springs but so far, I've had them fail, twice. They actually cracked and blew the bottom of the bag. It didn't seem like it was from the weight but just fatigue. I'm thinking of an adjustable air shock but I think the whole ABS braking thing makes air shocks an unacceptable issue.

So, I'm looking for shocks it seems. Any suggestions on how I provide a little relief for the suspension on this truck?

I did the Airlift brand myself so far so good.
I tried the Firestone Work Rite and they were terrible IMO as they were basically long bump stops that caused ride issues even with small load.