Replace factory strut components when installing Bilstein?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After a short stint with the Rancho Quicklift's I have elected to go back to Bilstein 5100's.

While I still have all my factory components, I am wondering if I should build my new Bilstein's with a new top plate. The last time I had Bilstein's installed and set at 2.1 I had a new unwanted front end noise at low speeds, and this time around I want to try and eliminate that!

I could never pinpoint what was causing the noise, and when I first installed the Bils I of course installed the washer in the wrong place. I did not drive the truck long (not even a full day) before switching it to the right position. But I fear even in that short time I could have done some damage to the top plate.

So my question for all of you! When should a guy replace the factory components when building out the Bilstein's? What brand replacement parts do you suggest one uses when they do? I see Monroe has a replacement top plate.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question

Does anyone have the OEM p/n's for the strut parts?

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have mine set at 2.8 and no noises and issues as of yet.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What issues are you having with the ranchos that make you want to switch?

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
The only addition I made was mevotech UCAs. I had a minor squeak but I think I underfilled my ball joint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What issues are you having with the ranchos that make you want to switch?

My only frustration with the Rancho Quicklift's is that I only get 1.25" of lift, despite their advertised 2. I had previsously had my Bils installed at 2.1 and loved the look, and I measured around 40" up front. With the Rancho's I am measuring around 39". The ride is great, the noise is gone, but the rake that still exists might as well be the factory one IMO.