Engine oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's been discussions here and there about the bypass valves in oil filters. Some are base mounted and some are some end mounted. Is there an advantage to one or the other or is it just a cost advantage with the manufacturer? I notice some what you to use OE filters because of the base end bypass valve.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Others will have better answer. I use Mopar filters because they are fine for my OCI. I f I go with extended oci, I would use a royal purple filter.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'm actually VERY interested in oil filters and their connection to the Hemi. I just did my 3rd oil change and went with the Fram Ultra for the first time. The factory fill was the Mopar, the first change was done at the dealership at 1000 miles because my truck was a year old leftover, with Pennzoil conventional 5w20 and a Mopar filter. Then I did the second myself with the Mopar and conventional Pennzoil 5w20.

For the 3rd, my thinking was to use 6 months intervals and since I have no garage, I'd use late Sept/Oct and April. I went with the Fram synthetic filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic oil because it's Chrysler approved.

My concern is FLOW. I realize the factory filter is less efficient and therefore would naturally have better flow.

I've also read that the SRT filter is even LESS efficient for the sole purpose of flow.

I just wonder how many Hemi's with lifter/cam issues were using Mopar filters, or if there is any connection.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used PP 5w20 Full Synthetic today with a Purlator Boss Filter. So far the 15miles I've driven have been uneventful, whiis good. I needed an oil wrench to get the factory filter off. It was really on there. Speaking of filters I would like to publically thank the engineers from the bottom of my heart for placing such an important item in such a ****** spot. I only had 1500mi on the truck. I looked at the build date and it was October of 2016. So the oil was sitting in there for a year. It didn't look bad but I wanted to get some fresh stuff in there. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything changing early. The only other thing I noticed today was the break fluid was so full it was overflowing. I took about 50cc out to get it back down to the max level mark.

For the filter I looked and looked through this site, got on YouTube and looked at people cut them open and rate all sorts of stuff. I'm not sure why I settled on the Purlator Boss but I did. It has a good flow rate, seems heavy duty, has a silicon back-flow to help prevent dry starts, and had some good reviews. Like I said if I think it sucks I will probably go Mobil 1 or Royal Purple, but I like consistency. I will definitely switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I could not find the stuff anywhere. It was disappointing I could not find it.

I will change everything out again in 5000mi, then do every 7000-7500mi after that. You will get a lot of opinions about oil here but my opinion is get something with moly in it.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This would be strictly a guess but I would venture to say they were using aftermarket filters. I had cold start tic when I used the FU, not saying you will, that was just my experience, went back to Mopar filter, no tic. For me it took about 1000 miles for tic to develope and then you could only hear it if you were outside by the fender, couldn't hear it in the cab. Currently I'm running PP 5/30 with OE Mopar filter and no tic, it's only been a couple of hundred miles since oil change so we'll see what happens. Never had any noise when engine was warm.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that cold start tic would contribute to the eventual cam failure but I'm sure it wouldn't help the situation.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work part time at a parts store and almost exclusively the filters we deliver to the garages, tire shops, and oil change places are the cheap ones. About the only time there is a request for a premium filter is if their customer requests it or its their own vehicle. Even walk-in customers at the store migrate to the cheap filters. I will say that alot of the ford guys do want their motorcraft filters.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just wonder how many Hemi's with lifter/cam issues were using Mopar filters, or if there is any connection.

I think us hemi owners really should look at both things, oil and filter, and maybe even gas additives like an upper cylinder lube/ cleaner. I don't think there is a perfect filter yet. Seams like pick and choose. Maybe the srt filter would fit the bill, I need to take another look. Someone here posted a cut out I believe. I inquire with most of the guys with cam lifter fails, seams like they weren't paying much attention to any of these things, for those who replied. We need to accept these are special needs engines, as they require a little love here and there.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Special needs engine. Burla, I like that.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One company makes 95% of all oil filters. They just manufacture them to the company's spec. I run the RP 10-48 I belive it is. As far as upper cylinder lubrication- I'm hopping to be able to convince my self to spring for some aces 5 and give it a test - it's just expensive is all, bit for what it claims to do and the way a lot of the mopar community speaks of it - it may be worth it. If I ever convince my self to try it out I will definetly post about it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only use Wix filters. 6000 mile oil changes. Any name brand 5-20 synthetic that is cheapest. I have mixed up to 4 brands of oil in one oil change. 232xxx miles and doesn't leak or use a drop of oil. I use Lucas fuel treatment at 3 to 4 times the label......8 ounces to a tank. Burn thru a gallon in a couple weeks. Oil changes are about every 6 weeks.