P0731 and P0734 codes? 1st and 3rd gear incorrect gear ratios?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

Check engine light came on and gave codes P0731,P0734 incorrect gear ratios. Transmission started shifting hard which makes sense to me if these codes are accurate but has anyone else had issues with thier 4th gen transmissions? I only have 40k on her as of right now and only have put 11k on myself from 29k-40k. Will be taking her in to get diagnostics and checked my fluid which was good. Anyone that can give me insight on potential problems, fixes, cost estimates.. etc.. I don't wanna get rid of her already but if necessarry I guess..

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shouldn't it still be under 5/100 power train warranty? Take it to the dealer. The gear ratio error can be caused by slippage or just a speed sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
BIGHUBZ

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a firm believer it's still under warranty, factory is expired and I bought it used so I'm not 100% on either but I'm out to do some mountain driving in the appalachians in about a month so I want to get it squared away asap. I'm hoping its the speed sensor(s).

OP
OP
BIGHUBZ

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update

Took it to stealership and they hooked up to diagnostics and reprogrammed it and couldn't recreate the slippage that caused the light to come on. Still seems sluggish and got stuck in fourth gear tonight on way to work? Any ideas?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Take it back. It sounds like is some kind of solenoid or something electronic. If the fluid smells good and it's not over heated I don't suspect major damage just technolgy confusing it's self.

OP
OP
BIGHUBZ

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be taking her back in this weekend.

OP
OP
BIGHUBZ

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update St. *****'s Day

Still in shop, they have confirmed dropping the transmission and said something mechanical is the culprit but I'm assuming that they still don't have a clue, however I should have a Iron Clad idea in a few days.

OP
OP
BIGHUBZ

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update bad drum creates mess in transmission.

So I talked to dealer today and she's still up on the lift, the drum was all over in the transmission apparently total hard part failure.

OP
OP
BIGHUBZ

BIGHUBZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update

After the bad news, the good... totally rebuilt trans and its going good thus far.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did they warranty it??