Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Royal Purple media, the left is the media and the right is the test patch after going through the RP media. Yeah, it doesn't get much better.

301218_30um_small.jpg

Some others fram toughguard.
tg5_30um_small.jpg

Wix
51060_30um.jpg

Motorcraft.
fl12a_30um_small.jpg

Amsoil
eao24_30um_small.jpg

K&N

hp3002_30um_small.jpg

fram extended guard

xg5_30um_small.jpg

Listen up all you Jack Wagons, if after reading that website you aren't getting RP or Amsoil ae filters, you are just plain wrong. Look at every test paper on the right, that is what goes through your engine. Royal Purple filters, aint nothing getting by the original filter. Sometimes we give good advice up here in this modest oil thread even before land breaking tests. These tests were 30ppm, they had to scrap the 5ppm testing, but a couple of filters including rp did get that tested. There is no way to judge filters against filters of they didn't complete that test, but at 30ppm, there is zero better then RP filters.

The biggest thing to take away from this, the synthetic filters actually filter better out of the gate then fresh paper filters, wow?? We know they were better long term, but now we know they kill it from the jump.

Adrian my second favorite person in the world today, close second behind all of the first responders who helped so many in the fires. After this, only a ******* would use paper filters, wth else do you need? Before now you had reason or beliefs that are acceptable, but now look at the writing on the wall.

So you are saying I am running the WORLDS BEST OIL AND THE WORLDS BEST FILTER !! :crazy:

Man I treat my truck to good.. :favorites13:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Whether an engine looks "spotless" using a paper filter isn't really the gauge or shouldn't be. Even if you had no filter it would likely look clean is the PCV is working correctly. The difference is the micro pitting you will get having a larger micron contamination rolling around that engine. It's a fact, the TG (below) will have 30mg contamination rolling around if you believe that test, m1 would be a better choice. Tough guard below. Bringing back guys with DI engines, can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything but royal purple there.

It shouldn't be that complicated, we all should be saying wow this is awesome, just like when hemi's stop ticking because someone ran redline.

tg5_30um_small.jpg

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is from the Green Bottle QSUD according to the original post and I added that info to my original post. Thanks!

NP.

I think its a decent VOA....it seems the key to the Hemi engine is moly in the oil and that looks like a somewhat decent moly level. There are different TYPES of moly, though, and I think that makes a difference too. Some synthetics dont have a lot of moly listed but it could be because of the different types not requiring as much.

PYB seems to have about 200ppm of moly, which seems pretty decent especially for a "dino" oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OH btw, 30 micron = 400 grit sand paper. Go getcha some 400 grit sandpaper and remove the sand, poke a hole in your filter, and go ahead and dump it in the crankcase. Because that is what you are doing if you choose a paper filter over Royal Purple. And what about larger then 30 microns, we don't know what paper would let through, at least 30 microns. We know RP would not let larger particles through.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What i missed since 2:30 today. Wow

This filter test is DEFINITELY One of the top five post On this thread.

Even makes me want to throw away my last fram ultra and just get royal purple because that's what cool kids would do .

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
U&A: I will take ALL your FU!
I will run it for 2 OCI with superior results & my UOA will prove it!

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what about the Pentastars? They have the cartridge filters that only a few companies make and they're all paper elements...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what about the Pentastars? They have the cartridge filters that only a few companies make and they're all paper elements...
I believe FA makes a penstar filter, not sure of the exact content of filter media though. I think it's synthetic.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FU ,not FA

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I couldn't find the FU filter for the 3.6 just the regular one...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last time I was at Walmart our local store had them. They also had the K&N for the penstar which is hard to find.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
OH btw, 30 micron = 400 grit sand paper. Go getcha some 400 grit sandpaper and remove the sand, poke a hole in your filter, and go ahead and dump it in the crankcase. Because that is what you are doing if you choose a paper filter over Royal Purple. And what about larger then 30 microns, we don't know what paper would let through, at least 30 microns. We know RP would not let larger particles through.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but this is very exaggerated. To put it into perspective, 50µ-70µ or more is the diameter of a human hair. 30µ is very close to one particle minus it's adhesive on a 600 grit piece of sandpaper. Each "bump" on that sandpaper is comprised of a clump of many 30µ particles to arrive at that size. Household dust is about 40µ. A single white blood cell is 25µ. I worked in an ISO Class 2 semiconductor "clean room" manufacturing facility. Air samples were performed very frequently using mobile particle counters, while also being continually monitored by stationary counters.

A single 30µ particle is only visible to the naked eye under the very best of conditions. On top of this, not all of those particles are as hard nor as abrasive as sand. Many are soft, similar to dust. Rather than cause wear, those particles contribute to varnish and the "gunk" you find in your catch cans. In some cases, they can polish and even fill in imperfections in the cylinder walls. So, while it is generally best to filter down to the smallest micron possible while still allowing for optimal flow, finite particles are not nearly as destructive in most cases as the OP described above.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I couldn't find the FU filter for the 3.6 just the regular one...

I think the XG might have one? 1/2 spun microglass better then zero percent microglass as the test shows. I looked up 2015 and they say they have Ultra and XG.

This even shows Ultra?

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thing I hate about Walmart is they won't carry a full line of something, even if you're lucky enough to find what you need or want probably within a year they won't stock it anymore.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Royal Purple shows Pep Boys as a filter supplier. I have a couple stores within range of me, I might go check them tomorrow.

Their filter catalog shows 10-48 as the size for my '17 5.7. Is there a different (perhaps larger and/or more commonly stocked) size filter that would also apply?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Royal Purple shows Pep Boys as a filter supplier. I have a couple stores within range of me, I might go check them tomorrow.

Their filter catalog shows 10-48 as the size for my '17 5.7. Is there a different (perhaps larger and/or more commonly stocked) size filter that would also apply?

Try 20-820

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try 20-820

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Pep Boys website actually shows it available at my local store. And they are running a 25% off code, so it comes down to 12.79+tax.

Considering Ill probably end up doing 2 oil changes per year, 13 bux a filter isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things.