Upgrading to Longtubes with a Cam swap: how will it effect my exhaust note?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJ6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to begin, I currently have an S&B CAI, 87mm TB, JBA shorties, custom Y, and muffler delete with resonators and 5" tips. Initially I had a 14" magnaflow (and it sounded good), but I wanted more. Now with the delete in its place, the truck sounds great. But let's be honest: who really stops there?
In mid Oct I'm scheduled to have ARH longtubes with cats and y-pipe installed, as well as Moe's HPT cam as an added bonus. As I mentioned, the truck sounds great right now, but too much louder and my neighbors may have a coronary.
My question is how much louder do you think the headers and cam will really make it? I know the cats will absorb a little resonance, so it won't be as big a difference as going catless, but I also don't want to have to sleep on the sofa because the neighbors complained to my wife for the 17th time. Sure I could have the magnaflow welded back in if it is, but I'd like some opinions first if you have them.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I had headers, y pipe and a spintech 9000. It was pretty loud but bearable. When I put my comp 260 in the sound has quite a bit louder. You could barely talk outside the vehicle over it. So the cam does make a difference

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
So to begin, I currently have an S&B CAI, 87mm TB, JBA shorties, custom Y, and muffler delete with resonators and 5" tips. Initially I had a 14" magnaflow (and it sounded good), but I wanted more. Now with the delete in its place, the truck sounds great. But let's be honest: who really stops there?
In mid Oct I'm scheduled to have ARH longtubes with cats and y-pipe installed, as well as Moe's HPT cam as an added bonus. As I mentioned, the truck sounds great right now, but too much louder and my neighbors may have a coronary.
My question is how much louder do you think the headers and cam will really make it? I know the cats will absorb a little resonance, so it won't be as big a difference as going catless, but I also don't want to have to sleep on the sofa because the neighbors complained to my wife for the 17th time. Sure I could have the magnaflow welded back in if it is, but I'd like some opinions first if you have them.

LT Headers will make it 10x as loud as you think it will. Trust me, been there, done that. I have a feeling your going to put a magnaflow on it, I did.

OP
OP
MJ6

MJ6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Roger that. I was leaning in that direction, but confirmation really helps.
What size magnaflow did you end up going with after the LT's if you don't mind my asking? And I know it's pretty subjective, but how did it sound afterwards: slightly beefier than expected, not quite beefy enough?
Thanks for the insight.