Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silvertabb3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey i own a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 cummins with 265000 miles and i wanted to know if my gas calculator is correct or not, I'm seeing numbers like 25-27 driving on the highway and like higher than 22-23 in city on a tank.. this seems to be odd to me but i have not owned this truck but for a week. I have fallen in love with it it runs like a champ and has been very well taken care of all miles are highway miles i know because it was a family truck and have thought about selling it but with those types of miles and it being paid for... it might be worth keeping.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Don't count on it being accurate. They were designed to be adaptive and give you a current, snapshot in time, miles per gallon measurement, not a cumulative measurement.

The best way to calculate your mileage is the old fashioned way...do the math...miles driven divided by gallons consumed.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
That is NOT accurate. Those things are well known for being quite a few mpgs off. You might be getting decent mileage, but sorry to tell ya, not that good. Hand calculate it on your next fill up and it will give you a better idea. My overhead avgs about 2-3 mpgs off

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya just hand calculate, sometimes there pretty accurate sometimes their off. the couple times ive checked mine, its only been about .3-.4 mpg off

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I used to fill up every week, but I stopped driving so aggressively (driving the sun gets you a lot of attention, and I was beginning to get concerned) and now I run at least a week and a half to a tank. Overhead is saying I'm getting 2 mpg better, but that cannot be the case. I keep forgetting to hand calculate, but this next tank will be done that way.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
filled up today, mine udercalculated:D said 12.8, i got by the old fashioned way 13.9:D, but i think that has something to do with the cutting of the muffler off yesterday lol