What is making this hellish noise??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 Ram 1500 4.7, I discovered this sound several hours ago. It is a high pitched loud shrieking sound that occurs above 60 mph. I have done many trips in the past driving 80-85 mph and have never seen this issue before today.

• I initially thought it was wind noise, and when I passed a large stadium that would have blocked a crosswind, it stopped, and resumed after passing it. However, it was so consistent later that I don't think it was dependent on wind direction.
  • It is not related to engine speed, only road speed. I can accelerate and not hear any issues until I reach the speed.
  • I cant pinpoint where it is coming from because the sound fills the cabin. I initially thought it was coming from the dash. I have a lightbar on the roof, but it has never made noise and it doesn't sound like its coming from there.

Here is a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/cKpItJ1rXdA

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good god that is loud. Sounds like high speed metal on metal contact... but I have no idea other than that.. hopefully it's not too big of an issue! Good lunch

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Does it disappear or sound change with the radio on? Sounds electronic to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
triple111

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I heard it with both the radio on and off, that's what I initially thought but how could the sound come out of the speakers with the radio off?

Also I should mention, I didn't feel any strange car handling or vibrations when this is happening.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
It kinda reminds me of high powered magnets. Which are on the speakers but the speed doesn't really make sense for that problem.
It is kinda strange but for curiosity sake besides the lift bar what all is done to the truck like sound system lift kit all of it.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Cursed.

Time to burn it.

But seriously, this is news to me. I've never heard anything like this before.

OP
OP
triple111

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It kinda reminds me of high powered magnets. Which are on the speakers but the speed doesn't really make sense for that problem.
It is kinda strange but for curiosity sake besides the lift bar what all is done to the truck like sound system lift kit all of it.

The truck is completely stock aside from the light bar.

OP
OP
triple111

triple111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy **** guys I figured it out. I got a buddy to ride with me so he could move around the cabin to better find the noise. Turns out, my lightbar became angled and the wind was blowing over the cooling vanes and creating some kind of resonance like a whistle, it was hard to determine the noise location until his head was sticking out of the cabin. Thanks for the help guys, I feel like and idiot but what can I do!

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
We all ruled that out cause you said it wasn't it haha