Performance and need ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys and gals I'm starting to look into performance parts and I'm looking for any suggestions on what to do first right now I got my eyes on a superchips flash pack and I'm also looking into some performance cams and thoughts all ideas welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havix00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
right now I got my eyes on a superchips flash pack and I'm also looking into some performance cams and thoughts all ideas welcome

I'd shelf the cam idea until you get some supporting mods installed. Do a search on these forums first. You'll see the suggested starter mods are cold air intake, throttle body, muffler or cat-back exhaust, 180* thermostat w/ efan, and especially a tuner. After these come the more advanced mods like headers, cams, superchargers, etc.

There are a few threads on here dedicated to cam installs. So far only a handful that attempted were successful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_2914

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already did the muffler delete was sort of looking into a flow master but they don't make a header back and I'm trying to get a hold of long tube headers

OP
OP
Chris_2914

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll shelf the cam idea until you get some supporting mods installed. Do a search on these forums first. You'll see the suggested starter mods are cold air intake, throttle body, muffler or cat-back exhaust, 180* thermostat w/ efan, and especially a tuner. After these come the more advanced mods like headers, cams, superchargers, etc.

There are a few threads on here dedicated to cam installs. So far only a handful that attempted were successful.

Alright thanks man that's a big help I'll go search through

OP
OP
Chris_2914

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll shelf the cam idea until you get some supporting mods installed. Do a search on these forums first. You'll see the suggested starter mods are cold air intake, throttle body, muffler or cat-back exhaust, 180* thermostat w/ efan, and especially a tuner. After these come the more advanced mods like headers, cams, superchargers, etc.

I'm also trying to shy away from a cold air intake unless it's enclosed because I do mud the truck and last thing I need is a big gulp of water

Havix00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe s&b make a closed cai not 100% sure

Indeed they do: S&B CAI. It works exceptionally well. In an oversized box with two intakes: wheel well and mid-engine bay (which can be plugged, if needed).

Last edited:

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had an 06 I would do a cam swap. Check out Moes Performance or Inertia Motorsports. Forget the CAI, not worth the money for 5 hp. People do efans and cai on the newer trucks because the cam swap tuning isnt there yet but on an 06 I would cam!!

http://www.moes-performance.com/Cam_Shafts_s/1845.htm

Last edited:

2013 4DW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I already did the muffler delete was sort of looking into a flow master but they don't make a header back and I'm trying to get a hold of long tube headers

Check out the JBA Long Tubes as they are very nice and not priced to kill your wallet.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Definately an XFI 273 cam on an 06 coupled with a k&n drop in and TB. It sounds like you have the exhaust covered already??? Longtubes would be awesome there too!

OP
OP
Chris_2914

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya I'll deff look into the cams not 100% but I'm looked I'm gonna do the t-stat and prob a bigger throttle body and cai

OP
OP
Chris_2914

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long tubes I found so pace setter painted ones for $300 and just build my own custom tru duals

OP
OP
Chris_2914

Chris_2914

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No no I didn't lol thx for that

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the S&B with the bottom intake slot plugged so nothing goes up it. Works like a charm when i splash around in the mud puddles. Id recommend it. Even though Jerseymike said they arent worth the 5 hp, theyll be almost necessary with the larger throttle body and cam because the stock intake would suck those mods dry from restriction. I 100% recommend diablosport intune. Just got it and makes a world of difference

Redhemi03

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 and 2013
Engine
5.7 in both
I'd shelf the cam idea until you get some supporting mods installed. Do a search on these forums first. You'll see the suggested starter mods are cold air intake, throttle body, muffler or cat-back exhaust, 180* thermostat w/ efan, and especially a tuner. After these come the more advanced mods like headers, cams, superchargers, etc.

Oh must remember that you are in the 3rd gen section where cams are the normal performance mod. The non seccessful can swaps are in the 4th gens that are vvt motors. I know more ppl that have cams than not in the 3 gen trucks . The fastest hemi qc in the nation is a sidewinder cammed . Believe me when I say that cams are very doable in a 3rd gen 03-08

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my cam with just having a superchips an 4.56s. It did perform quite a bit better than stock cam but if I were to do it again I'd have all my supporting mods done first. I had full stock exhaust minus the muffler at first with the 260 an stock converter than one Sunday did both to my truck an it was a beast on the butt dyno