Back up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scuba Steve 1765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 express quad cab with the 5" display. Today I called the dealer I bought it from to see how much it would cost to get the camera installed. He told me that my truck isn't compatible with a back up camera but I have seen express' with the same 5" screen that have the cameras. So my question is why is my truck not compatible with it when others are or did the guy at the dealer just not know what he was talking about?

urbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have the same truck and I installed a backup camera. Call him back and ask why it's not compatible.

OP
OP
S

Scuba Steve 1765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you install the factory tailgate handle camera? If so how hard waa install and I have read that once you install it you have to bring it to the dealer for some programing? Did you do that?

urbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did install the camera in the tailgate handle. I used jeepguy's (RIP) harnesses and instructions which involved a dealer flash to wake up the camera.

OP
OP
S

Scuba Steve 1765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are those harnesses and instructions still available? Did you buy the camera from the dealer or online somewhere?

OP
OP
S

Scuba Steve 1765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Darn. Hopefully I can figure out a different way to make it work.

jabrams00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought all the parts and made my own harness. Followed JeepGuys (RIP) instructions and figured it out using his write up. Yes you have to take to the dealer to wake up the camera. I have the all black edition express and mine works like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone7++

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the hardest problem is finding a dealer that can (will) add the XAC sales code to your truck. some dealers will do it will no problems, some with look at you like what are you talking about. i experienced both when i installed mine.

on a side note ANY aftermarket camera will work. "jeepguys" harness would let you do it wtih only factory parts.

once the feature is activated in your truck all you have to do is hook up the video leads to the radio harness. its probably about a 50/50 as to who used jeepguys harness and who just used a aftermarket camera like me.

OP
OP
S

Scuba Steve 1765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help guys. I still don't understand why the same truck from the factory can have it but you need an adapter or different wiring harness to add the camera later.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help guys. I still don't understand why the same truck from the factory can have it but you need an adapter or different wiring harness to add the camera later.

because all the necessary wiring is not there. it can easily be added but you need to do some wiring. factories dont put in extra wires if not needed.