Wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wetsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
2001 3500 diesel 5 speed..power windows won't work..changed out the pdc ..changed door switches...replaced blower motor resistor... Checked the whole harness headlight to tail lights..as much as possible.. Had dash basically 1/2 apart...found a few places that has been tapped to install burgular alarm.. Removed and repaired...I can jump the red and the tan wire on the passenger side switch..windows and blower works..once then not...I have now power on the interior fuse panel on #3, #5,and #7...any ideas where to look next ????

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
when you had the dash apart for whatever reason you had to unhook connectors, I had this same issue, you have a connector not fully connected.

Check and recheck all of your connections and grounds. This was the problem for me even after checking I thought everything was hooked up. Had my buddy check the connectors and one wasn't pulling pressed in.

BOOM everything worked again.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As DodgeTx said, first check the connectors to make sure they are all plugged in, if not then you will want to light it on fire trying to diagnose an electrical problem that isnt really a problem.

If everything comes back good and tight, what are you mentioning a blower motor resistor panel for? Does your blower motor also not work?

Before I pour over the service manual to help, you've got to do me two things, provided the already proposed solution doesnt work.

1. List the problems
2. What diagnostic steps have you taken

I'm happy to help, but there is so much that I dont know, i'd feel like i'm back in high school typing out all the possibilities.

OP
OP
W

Wetsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
OK dudeman 2009..u asked for it...to start off the truck was wrecked in the right side bed and sat for nearly 3 years before I got a hold of it...I was told the Windows the blower motor radio just quit one day..the truck was used to haul hay on the farm after the wreck for awhile.. I got it and pulled the bed..and replaced driver's switch.. Got door locks no window..so I replace right side...same..soi checked all fuses..and replaced all the relays and breaker... Talk about dollars..but figured why not remove all questions. Still nadda so test lighted the wires at both switches and found no power to the window part of them..that's when I jumped the lock power to window side and all worked..blower came on but at one speed.. Radio and so on. So I replaced blower resistor it was corroded and swelled...why not right ?? Then no difference... I stood back and said " ******* go back to basics "" I test lighted the ground at the batteries had a short...pulled fuses till It went out..it was the I.o.d. so that's when I pulled out all the added in stuff c/b ,brake box, burgular alarm.. Repaired all they're connections . again why not..still the same ...so I pulled apart the PDC..cleaned re_assembled.. No difference... So traced every wire I could find..found a chewed connection under the cab..Walla ...nope just gained fuel gauge workes..so still looking for the short.. Im at the part you said..." Burn baby burn " ..oh and somewhere over the last two weeks I found fuses #3 #5 #7 inside dead on the power side kinda odd in the same row and odd number.. I think that's when I went to the PDC.....

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
OK dudeman 2009..u asked for it...to start off the truck was wrecked in the right side bed and sat for nearly 3 years before I got a hold of it...I was told the Windows the blower motor radio just quit one day..the truck was used to haul hay on the farm after the wreck for awhile.. I got it and pulled the bed..and replaced driver's switch.. Got door locks no window..so I replace right side...same..soi checked all fuses..and replaced all the relays and breaker... Talk about dollars..but figured why not remove all questions. Still nadda so test lighted the wires at both switches and found no power to the window part of them..that's when I jumped the lock power to window side and all worked..blower came on but at one speed.. Radio and so on. So I replaced blower resistor it was corroded and swelled...why not right ?? Then no difference... I stood back and said " ******* go back to basics "" I test lighted the ground at the batteries had a short...pulled fuses till It went out..it was the I.o.d. so that's when I pulled out all the added in stuff c/b ,brake box, burgular alarm.. Repaired all they're connections . again why not..still the same ...so I pulled apart the PDC..cleaned re_assembled.. No difference... So traced every wire I could find..found a chewed connection under the cab..Walla ...nope just gained fuel gauge workes..so still looking for the short.. Im at the part you said..." Burn baby burn " ..oh and somewhere over the last two weeks I found fuses #3 #5 #7 inside dead on the power side kinda odd in the same row and odd number.. I think that's when I went to the PDC.....

I wish the work orders were this specific when I was working in the field. If what i'm gathering is right, the power locks work, but the blower, windows and radio dont work.

The windows are powered via a different breaker than the locks, on the driver side door pin 5 is always hot, passenger side pin 11. If there is no power at either of these points (they are spliced together so they should read the same) move on. They are connected to a 20A circuit breaker in the passenger compartment fuse block, its the closest one to the front of the vehicle. You can bridge that out with a piece of wire, however I recommend using a fused jumper. If that doesnt cause the windows to work with the ignition in the on position, and there is power to the fuse panel, replace the wire to the door switches. If there is no power to the fuse panel for the window circuit breaker move on.

In order to test if there is power coming from the ignition to the interior PDC, pull circuit breaker 1, 20A, this powers the windows. The top blade connection in the PDC should read battery voltage with the key in the run position as this is battery feed from the ignition switch. If there is no power here, there is an open between this pin and the Ignition, move to the blower motor section for other things powered from the ignition.

As for your blower, What speed was running? The blower motor relay is spliced into the same power feed as the power windows. Providing power to the windows must have back-fed through the circuit breaker and to the blower motor relay. In the internal PDC fuse 2, 10A, provides power to the blower motor relay as well as the heated mirror switch, and heated seat controls. On fuse 2, the lower pin is battery from the ignition, it should read battery voltage with the key in the run position. If there is power on this pin and a fused jumper wire doesnt fix the problem, there is an open between the fuse and blower motor relay. If there is no power, there is an open between the ignition and this fuse.

Based on what you have done, I would suspect the wire coming into the internal PDC from the ignition. The power locks are always powered, so jumping them in will bypass any problem with the ignition wiring. The radio is tied into a slightly different system so it can run in the ACC key position as well, the windows only work in the run position. Running a new power wire from the ignition may be needed.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've spent almost 50 minutes looking this all over and tracing my way through this ****** service manual.

OP
OP
W

Wetsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Dudeman thanks you have sheded some light but unfortunately I have to head to work so it'll be tomorrow before I get to it...thanks I'll keep u up to date

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Dudeman thanks you have sheded some light but unfortunately I have to head to work so it'll be tomorrow before I get to it...thanks I'll keep u up to date

Not a problem, I actually got back from work when I wrote my reply :)

OP
OP
W

Wetsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Well dudeman did a lot of digging and ended up. Replacing the inside PDC I couldn't determine which wire supplied the power so I tore the old one apart and determined which wire supplied the power. But unfortunately I couldn't trace its end. And know the engine bay PDC is good..I'm thinking it's PCM issue sooo I installed a fused 10 amp jumper from the spare #16 to the downstream side of #7..and whalla all works.. And during all of this I also replaced the uper dashboard and let me tell ya. Replacing the cab PDC and the dashboard is one crazy hard job...hopefully once I get it all buttoned up I'll find the passion to find the problem later

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Well dudeman did a lot of digging and ended up. Replacing the inside PDC I couldn't determine which wire supplied the power so I tore the old one apart and determined which wire supplied the power. But unfortunately I couldn't trace its end. And know the engine bay PDC is good..I'm thinking it's PCM issue sooo I installed a fused 10 amp jumper from the spare #16 to the downstream side of #7..and whalla all works.. And during all of this I also replaced the uper dashboard and let me tell ya. Replacing the cab PDC and the dashboard is one crazy hard job...hopefully once I get it all buttoned up I'll find the passion to find the problem later

Whatever gets it working now so you can rebuild the energy to fight with it later.