Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, it's the exact same as his harnesses. Just to be clear, I'm not selling anything or plan to, I just have all the info and ability to do it now that I found a vendor for the pins.

I don't have enough cable currently to make one, but if you really want that setup, I can make one if you cover cost of parts. It's cheap fun for me.

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk
I like the disclaimer my friend !

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Yes, it's the exact same as his harnesses. Just to be clear, I'm not selling anything or plan to, I just have all the info and ability to do it now that I found a vendor for the pins.

I don't have enough cable currently to make one, but if you really want that setup, I can make one if you cover cost of parts. It's cheap fun for me.

Whoa. Sorry, No sales intent was implied in my previous question. Should have worded better. I had read in past when you were attempting to match jeepguy setup just missed the update that you were successful. That's awesome. I just may have to get with you about helping me with that part of the wire setup.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I had read in past when you were attempting to match jeepguy setup just missed the update that you were successful. That's awesome. I just may have to get with you about helping me with that part of the wire setup.
I'm glad to help. You will need to physically check to verify what wiring you do or don't have at the 4 connector locations.
Like Loveracing1988, MTGTS, and DannyMk2 you may not be missing the entire harness and just need a segment. Or you could get lucky like cptwing and just need the stuff in the tailgate.

And like you, I actually preferred jeepguy's setup (what's in my truck) over the Mopar kit.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone try to help me understand where this

ba779c26e78f478d389d16f8cb2a138a.jpg

Is being installed ?

No tapping into the BCM C-5 ? Do you have the Active gridlines with this harness ?

I'm assuming you still need to install the camera , handle , tailgate harness , long body harness and tap into power @ the PDC ...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Someone try to help me understand where this is being installed ?

No tapping into the BCM C-5 ? Do you have the Active gridlines with this harness ?

I'm assuming you still need to install the camera , handle , tailgate harness , long body harness and tap into power @ the PDC ...

Here's a different style of schematic from MTGTS and LoveRacing1988's truck that may help...
2014 Ram 2500 MTGTS Existing Camera Wiring - Partial for Forum.png

DannyMk2 has the wires from the i550 tailgate to the c322 at the Left Frt Wheel, see post 694.

He instead has the opposite scenario of LoveRacing1988 where he is missing the last segment from the Inline-Body/IP near the brake (old i315) to the back of the radio.

Since Danny has crawled under his truck a few times, posted good pictures of all the connectors and ohmed out the harness segments he has, it looks like he just needs...
- the 3 wire harness to the radio I made
- camera/tailgate handle
- camera/ lock jumper harness in the tailgate.

The existing wiring should already be pulling in the power, CBC3, etc for the i550 connector at the tailgate (spare tire).

Last edited:

solk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 RAM 1500, OEM backup camera with aftermarket radio?

All,
two week lurker and first time poster here. I've been browsing all neat tips and tricks on backup cameras but found nothing on the 2012 models. I have the bone stock RES head unit, no navi, no cam. Looking to fit the OEM backup camera and replace the head unit with an aftermarket one. Was told by Crutchfield that there is no adapter that works with oem camera and non-oem radio.
-Anyone that knows of someone who has made this work on a 2012 MY?
-If installing non-oem head unit with navi, where do you put the antenna?

Much obliged Y'all //solk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
All,
two week lurker and first time poster here. I've been browsing all neat tips and tricks on backup cameras but found nothing on the 2012 models. I have the bone stock RES head unit, no navi, no cam. Looking to fit the OEM backup camera and replace the head unit with an aftermarket one. Was told by Crutchfield that there is no adapter that works with oem camera and non-oem radio.
-Anyone that knows of someone who has made this work on a 2012 MY?
-If installing non-oem head unit with navi, where do you put the antenna?

Much obliged Y'all //solk
To keep from going off track with this thread (2013+ oem radio/oem camera), please create a separate thread so you can get specific feedback on all the available radio/camera options that I'm sure folks have already done with their 2019-2012 4th gen trucks (the electrical is different from 2013+).

A quick few things that may help so you don't feel kicked to the curb here...

There is an official dodge Ram tailgate camera kit for the factory radio you have. See www.allmoparparts.com or contact them via the vendor section within RamForum (Benny).

If you go with an aftermarket radio, you might as well get one of the aftermarket tailgate handle kits with an RCA/composite video feed that will be more compatible with an aftermarket radio.

There may be an interface solution from Crux that will help with your aftermarket radio interface to the truck's controls (or from PAC, Scosche, etc), but again you will get better feedback from a dedicated thread for your particular goals.

solk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To keep from going off track with this thread (2013+ oem radio/oem camera), please create a separate thread so you can get specific feedback on all the available radio/camera options that I'm sure folks have already done with their 2019-2012 4th gen trucks (the electrical is different from 2013+).

Thanks Mpgrimm, I'll line up the ducks and find the right thread. Sorry, didn't see the 2013+ delimitation. Appreciate the input!
//solk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does anybody know what the OR/DB wire from the BCM goes to? It looks like it goes to SP4649 and then to I220. I know I don't need the I220 connection because that goes to the factory backup cam (I'm installing the kit). I'm wondering what is on the other side of that splice, though. Getting the connector out and apart was hassle enough. Tapping the existing wire is going to be a nightmare, so I'd prefer to just replace it if it doesn't go to anything I need.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anybody know what the OR/DB wire from the BCM goes to? It looks like it goes to SP4649 and then to I220. I know I don't need the I220 connection because that goes to the factory backup cam (I'm installing the kit). I'm wondering what is on the other side of that splice, though. Getting the connector out and apart was hassle enough. Tapping the existing wire is going to be a nightmare, so I'd prefer to just replace it if it doesn't go to anything I need.
I've wondered this myself ...
I know this only provides the active gridlines because I ran my oem BU Cam kit for a while without the BCM c-5-45 or/DB wire connected at all .
The camera worked great just no gridlines.

With this said I'm thinking it is connected to the clockspring to provide the active gridlines?

I believe you sir have replaced your clockspring for the heated wheel ?
Did you notice any wires that you wer unsure of their operations then ?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The clockspring reports the steering angle to the truck at all times on the CAN bus. The wire to the camera is a LIN bus that provides certain information like whether the truck is in reverse along with the steering angle info for the grid lines. I just don't know what other modules are daisy chained off that same bus connection. Seeing as my truck is pretty light option-wise and it sounds like some don't even have that pin populated, I'm probably OK to just tape it back. I'm not sure how confident I am in that, though.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It also goes to the chmsl camera (3rd brake light).
Here's the quote/link from past 51. See the schematic...

I was able to pull up 70chall440's TechAuthority backup camera schematic from his vin posted earlier which shows the wiring at radio pins 31,32,33 coming from the CHMSL cargo cam (center high mount stop light/3rd brake Lt).

NOTE: 2500's & up may have the wiring in those pins for the optional 3rd Brake light cargo cam (CHMSL).
See: 2014 V8 2500 Factory Cam in Mirror w CHMSL Cam in Radio Diagram

@70chall440,
You don't have a Cargo Camera Option do you?
If not that is why those pins get insulated and tapped out of the way. ( They can actually be moved to another video input pin set with a Customtronix RAX jailbreak (maybe pins 24,25 & ??) but I would have to dig through Jeepguy's Adding CHMSL camera thread to locate the correct pins for all 3 camera options. EDIT see below:

______ (Sig / Sig Rtn / Shld)
Backup Cam: 31 / 32 / 33
CHMSL Cam: 21 / 22 / 23
Front Cam: . 24 / 25 / 26

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Guess what I started on ... the chassis segment of the factory camera harness like Jeepguy would have made.
C322 (Left Frt Wheelwell end)
22dd4eeec2f1fdf5fa4438d1d28cadd9.jpg

Alas my pn info on the schematic was not correct and I have to re-order the correct pins (I hope) for the i550 end .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guess what I started on ... the chassis segment of the factory camera harness like Jeepguy would have made.

Alas my pn info on the schematic was not correct and I have to re-order the correct pins (I hope) for the i550 end .

Awesome ! Jeepguy Lives on !

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Finished it. Crimped, soldered, sealing plugs, wire loom, and wrapped in 3m Electrical tape.

bc95302fdfffdd0fc6c7ede0b2f8bb86.jpg

I'll hold on to this for the next person that's only missing this segment of the factory harness.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Finished it. Crimped, soldered, sealing plugs, wire loom, and wrapped in 3m Electrical tape.

bc95302fdfffdd0fc6c7ede0b2f8bb86.jpg

I'll hold on to this for the next person that's only missing this segment of the factory harness.

Sweet! I was hoping I was only missing that, but I had nothing between the tailgate connector and the radio.

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Looks like its time for me to crawl under and see what I've got

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Hey Grimm, just looked and I only have 2 wires @ my body harness at the bottom of tailgate. I think I need this

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey Grimm, just looked and I only have 2 wires @ my body harness at the bottom of tailgate. I think I need this
See posts 228-231, you need to check all 4 connectors
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1085524

Also for see post 694-670 or so (more of the same)
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1273045

PS: If you want, pm me and we can talk via phone sometime this weekend (I work 3rd shift EST) to clear up any questions so you can better decide what you want to do and know what to check.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jherrick88

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Problem, After cutting the Orange and Dark Blue wire I've lost the connector some how. Any idea how I can remedy this issue?

What happens if I try to drive the vehicle without that connector hooked up?

Thanks in advance!