04 1500 SLT Hemi, Sway abr bushings Stock or Poly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For my 1500 SLT 4X4 should I replace the sway bar bushings and end links with stock or Poly? Where there different Size bar's offered or was there only 1 size? Not sure if I need to measure them or not before I order.

Thanks

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are 2 size bar. Can't remember off the top of my head but I believe it is based on 4x4 vs 2WD. Best to measure before ordering.

Also, depending on how long you intend to keep your truck and what you do with it will dictate whether you want/prefer the poly vs std rubber.

Poly will be more durable, but are a little stiffer. Rubber is softer. However the sway bar bushing don't have that much of a influence on the rides harshness so it is up to you.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my track car's I use Poly or solid depending on location and application. I was just wondering in the truck world what you guy's were using as this is not a track truck just a occasional driver.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I replaced teh link with a Moog kit and used Energy Suspension Bushings, I have to use the kit for a 2 wd which came with a 34 mm bushing compared to the 4 WD kit which used a 36 MM, The 36 MM seemed a bit loose and I tried my best to Measure the factory one and it appeared to be a 34 MM.

The Moog and the factory manual said to tighten the small top nut to 27 FT pounds, this seemed way to tight and seemed to compress the bushing to much, So I backed it off a bit, I think I may need to replace those bushings again as they dont seem to have quite returned to there shape.

How tight is to tight? Thanks

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would assume that would be okay. You don't want play in there, so snug is good. I'd tighten it back down.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just seems that the 27 FT really squished them down, I read you want to tighten just intill they start to compress and that you dont want them bulging.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Per oriellys website, the 06 4wd uses 32mm ones. Weird. Would have thought it to be the 36mm

Gale Hawkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Ok, I replaced teh link with a Moog kit and used Energy Suspension Bushings, I have to use the kit for a 2 wd which came with a 34 mm bushing compared to the 4 WD kit which used a 36 MM, The 36 MM seemed a bit loose and I tried my best to Measure the factory one and it appeared to be a 34 MM.

The Moog and the factory manual said to tighten the small top nut to 27 FT pounds, this seemed way to tight and seemed to compress the bushing to much, So I backed it off a bit, I think I may need to replace those bushings again as they dont seem to have quite returned to there shape.

How tight is to tight? Thanks

Our 2002 2WD measured 34mm and went with the blue Moog bushings and Master Pro stabilizer link bars that has grease fitting in each one. One link bar had separated and the sound it generated was awful. Since we replaced the dead at 111K miles OEM shocks with all KYB MonoMax at the same time all I can say the ride now is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertDenmon