08 ram, tuner opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike49321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey, so I just bought my first Dodge Ram half ton a few weeks ago. 5.7 in it. So far, for the most part, I have no complaints. Awesome truck, lots of power, and just feels all around well built

Now, I do not care for the MDS system, I can feel it somewhat kick in and out. I think. Either way, I’ve tried tow haul mode, I don’t like the feel of mds lol. Another thing I don’t care for is the way the trans seems to be programmed. Shift points seem odd

so, I’m contemplating buying a tuner. Mainly to turn off mds, and because I think it would be fun to play around with. I’ve heard a tuner on these hemis is pretty slick

what’s everyone’s thoughts. Thanks.

and I understand I can turn tow haul on to disable mds. I’ve read people saying that a lot. I don’t want to drive in tow haul

thanks everyone!

I’ll upload a pic of it also ...

C7A91B4F-8E6D-49B6-A38D-F2B426D91702.jpeg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The Diablosport Trinity T2 #9345-D works well as it is a tuner + monitor in one package. It will accept custom tunes written by a CMR Dealer too.

Also, the Diablosport inTune I3 #8345 is a solid choice and has the ability to do custom tunes as well.

The SCT BDX is another choice that comes with pre-installed tunes and had the option for custom tunes.

The SCT X4 unit is a custom tune ONLY programmer. It does NOT come with any tunes. It is the gateway for you to have custom tunes written so you can install them.

If you are more on the self tuning side, HP Tuners would be the way to go with the MPVI2 and the VCM Suite. This way you can make all of the adjustments yourself and if you don't like the way it runs or performs you can change it almost instantly.

These are just a few that are available for your 2008 DR.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as a FYI, not only does Tow/Haul turn MDS off, it changes the shift points for the transmission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you're not cracking the engine open or camming it, get a Superchips. Besides turning off MDS, this gives you the ability to retune the transmission without having to pay for custom tuning.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're not cracking the engine open or camming it, get a Superchips. Besides turning off MDS, this gives you the ability to retune the transmission without having to pay for custom tuning.
Ahh, good idea. I've always disliked the shift points on my truck, they have never felt quite right to me.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ahh, good idea. I've always disliked the shift points on my truck, they have never felt quite right to me.
I've never been able to take advantage of it (******* 03's lol) but I've heard too many people rave about how it's worth it just for the trans tuning and how much it changes the nature of the truck. Hell, back in the day we stacked Diablo with Superchips to have trans tuning with custom tunes.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I've never been able to take advantage of it (******* 03's lol) but I've heard too many people rave about how it's worth it just for the trans tuning and how much it changes the nature of the truck. Hell, back in the day we stacked Diablo with Superchips to have trans tuning with custom tunes.
Is the superchips really worth it for just normal driving and towing?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It gives it a little more pep, but with 04 and newer you can actually alter your shift schedule. You could make a performance file and a towing one if you wanted to. Any improvement to the factory trans tuning is a win.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
When I put a tune on way back when, I went from 10.4mpg to 12.2 average
I'm averaging around 14 or better since I put new o2 sensors in last year. Maybe the superchips will net me more mpg's.