13' Ram vs. 14' Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove a '14 to Vegas and back, great gas mileage, great interior, no noise, just didnt like the 5.3 power.....seemed to always be looking for MPG, where a 4 door truck, needs power too....

The transmission is definitely tuned for mpg's, and the throttle has a soft tip in all for the CAFE BS. My Ram felt like a hot rod, the new truck feels like a Cadillac. Nice thing about GM's is the computer isn't encrypted, HP tuners or EFI live and a laptop is all you need. Diablo and someone like Hemifever isn't needed for tuning. Once my daughters born and things stabilize here I need to get a car to play with. Thinking about an LS swap fox body, lol.

Last edited:

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.08 rear in a truck !!!!! jesus, I shake my head at 3.55's :(.

thats insane, its a truck, not a prius.

If you have the 65rfe or 545rfe, the GM trans (6L80E) with 3.08 gears has a mechanical advantage in 1st through 4th over your truck with 3.55 gears, plus it has a real 3rd gear, not 2nd'. I did the math since my Ram had 3.55's. Insert the available 3.42's or 3.73's and this really changes things. The 8spd has similar lower gears to the 6L80E.

Ram 65rfe/545rfe with 3.55's
trans gear final ratio
1st 3.00 10.65
2nd 1.67 5.92
3rd 1.50 5.33 <---downshift gear, Ram skips over this in upshifts
4th 1.00 3.55
5th .75 2.66
6th .67 2.38

GM 6L80E with 3.08's
trans gear final ratio
1st 4.027 12.40
2nd 2.364 7.28
3rd 1.532 4.72
4th 1.152 3.55
5th .852 2.62
6th .667 2.05

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lulz^
I agree fully. The fenders are too square. They feel underpowered. Cheaply made. No new innovations in the past 20 years. The same radio and all. The only good thing about them, replacement parts are cheap. :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

8" touchscreen with Pandora and other apps. Large HD color customizable DIC. They changed things up for 2014. You're talking to someone that had 3 Ram's in a row.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Coming from a GM guy who bought a RAM. everything before the 4th gen and 2013+ with the new dash and infotainment made the difference and interior quality.

before 2013's to me, RAM trucks were ugly and cheap.

I drove a 2014 Silverado and Sierra. Ride was quiet and smooth. I did not like the interior at all though. The guage lay out was identical to F150 with cheap graphics and a list for options selection.

Price was a big downer for the new GM trucks. They wanted 42k for a plain TX edition with cloth seats 2wd

Got my loaded Sport 4x4 crew RAM for 37k.

Only thing I dislike about the RAM is the price for performance upgrades (Trinity tuner) and lack of ease of upgrading the performance on it. AND for being a 395HP truck it doesn't lay the power down like my old 08 Sierra.

Last edited:

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I could do a silverado if it was 4wd.

Noved

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the Chevy Camaro 6.2L V8 motor and as far as the trucks go the 14 5.3 compared to my 12 5.7L power wise the 5.3L seemed to lack comparison. The 5.3L truck had 3.73s also and I am guessing programming and torque management had something to do with it. GM loves torque management apparantly. Hemi just feels like it has a ton more to go IMO compared to the 5.3L. I am sure with the 8 speeds 4.71 first gear it would be a no competition comparison at this point.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the Chevy Camaro 6.2L V8 motor and as far as the trucks go the 14 5.3 compared to my 12 5.7L power wise the 5.3L seemed to lack comparison. The 5.3L truck had 3.73s also and I am guessing programming and torque management had something to do with it. GM loves torque management apparantly. Hemi just feels like it has a ton more to go IMO compared to the 5.3L. I am sure with the 8 speeds 4.71 first gear it would be a no competition comparison at this point.

The Hemi does have more go than the new 5.3. It feels like the computer is really holding it back with TM and MPG's as the priority. The last gen 5.3's run like a ***** ape with a tune and some simple mods.

WinterSoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a '14 GMC Sierra crew cab 2wd in July, and it was a fantastic truck. The mpg is real, I was averaging over 19 in city and 22 highway (I drive like a paw paw though). My wife and I took it to the mountains back in October and averaged 21.4 mpg for the entire trip and we hauled my motorcycle. The interior material is updated and refined, and the cab is super quiet. The new 8" infotainment is really nice, and its standard on regular trims. I had the 3.42 rearend and it did fine. I never felt like it needed more power. I only sold it because I thought I could do without 4wd and I was wrong. Looked at getting into the same truck with 4wd but I could get a better deal on a slightly used '13 RAM 4x4. The Sierra was, at that time, my favorite truck ever. Heres where things changed....

Ram really knocked it out of the park with the '13 updates. The full console with bucket seats in the RAM is a better layout than the GMC full console. The 8.4" screen in the RAM has MUCH better graphics and more inputs. Its not even close. The instrument panel info screen in the RAM is bigger and has a better interface as well. While chevy and GMC have more soft-touch material, the Ram did a better job with its design. Everyone that has been in both of my trucks agree that the RAM's interior is nicer and seems larger and more impressive than the GMC.

As for the feel of the motor, the RAM again seems better. I have the 5.7L with 3.55s and 6speed trans (my GMC was the 5.3L with 3.42s and 6speed). I can't tell you specific numbers, but the seat-of-the-pants meter is clearly in RAM's favor. My wife was completely suprised with the pull and feel of the RAM compaired to the GMC. They both are very smooth riding vehicles.

Outside looks are what they are. Personal preference determines that. I personally love the '14 GMC/Chevys, square wheel wells and all. But the RAM just seems to be a more imposing visual image coming down the road. I have been thoroughly impressed with it. I was a little worried that going from a newly designed truck like the Sierra to a newer used truck would give me buyers remorse, but that has not been the case. In fact its been the exact opposite.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the GMC. If I had purchased a 4x4 from the start, I would still be in that truck and completely happy. But I truely feel that my RAM is a better truck than the Sierra, and I'm glad that circumstances introduced me to this truck. FWIW

(I know I just wrote a book lol, but I figured not too many people have actually owned a '13+ RAM and '14 GMC/Chevy. Also, my experienced is based off a well equiped GMC SLE CC Z71 vs. Sport CC 4x4)

Tuffguy707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
from what I've seen of the 14 chevy i think motor trend hit the nail on the head when they said chevy just caught up (with the ram).
my dealership sells both chevy and ram and after test driving the chevy I'm not impressed compared to the rams.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad has a Chevy and it is an ok truck. It does what he needs and does not complain. One thing I will say is that a comparable Chevy is about 6-8k more expensive than my sport in my area for a few reasons.

1. If you want 20" wheels, you have to step up to the 6.2 liter as they are not available on the 5.3.
2. Towing package from the factory (hitch and 3.92) again requires you to get the 6.2
3. Interior options are more expensive (Navi, XM option, Park Assist) on the Chevy vs the Ram.

Even if you opt out or the larger engine and stick with the 5.3, you are still paying more. I won't even talk about the Ford and their prices. Wow!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the same thing when I was truck shopping.
I drove the Ford, Chevy, and Ram and didn't decide what to get until after I'd driven them all and got their best price.
For me, at least at this point in time, the Ram was the truck.
In a different year I may have made a different decision.
I wasn't pre-disposed to getting any particular truck.
I felt I got the best truck for the money at that time, although any of the other trucks would have served me fine too.

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove the Ford, Chevy, and Ram and didn't decide what to get until after I'd driven them all and got their best price.
For me, at least at this point in time, the Ram was the truck.
I wasn't pre-disposed to getting any particular truck.
I felt I got the best truck for the money at that time, although any of the other trucks would have served me fine too.

My exact thoughts. Out of the big three I felt I got the most for the money, in terms of looks, performance, and functionality.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In Nov. I hit a deer doing about 60mph with my 97 Ram w/250,000 miles on it , I loved that truck !
I've been saying for the last 5-6 years that I'm gonna buy me a brand new Chevy 4×4 , when I called my wife and told her about hitting the deer she said " well I guess you're gonna finally get your chevy " with the truck confirmed still drivable I gutted the deer ,put him in the back of the truck ,took em to the butcher and went home and cleaned everything out of my beloved beast of the last 16 years and went straight to my local Chevrolet dealer ! ( I've never considered myself a BRAND SPECIFIC type guy , I've owned all over the years ) well the 1rst Chevy I test drove took about 10 mins , I took it back to get another one , I told the salesman to have his techs take a look at it due to the lack of pwr , almost felt like the parking break was stuck . I actually pulled over during the test drive to make sure the break wasn't stuck ! After driving 3 Chevy 4×4 s 1/2 ton trucks with the largest avail Eng. package I was so disappointed , the ride feel , the power , everything was disappointing to me ! All I had in recent memory to compare was my 2500,000 mile 17 year old Dodge 4×4 extended cad w/ 360 and 33" tires . I was afraid all new trucks we're gonna be like this , Boy was I wrong !!
I've never even considered purchasing a ford but there was a dealer across the street and the Dodge dealer was a 20 min drive away so I went to ford WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE from the chevies I just drove ! I drove two more same same . I liked everything about the fords but they are ugly to me , I ran out of time that day so the next morning I was at the Dodge dealer waiting for them to open the door LOL I parked front and center at the BIG FANCY glass doors my front end tore all to hell still having blood and hair everywhere and the radiator starting to leak a little LOL. After I drove my 1rst RAM I told my salesman to get someone working on my heap of a trade in because I'm Not driving my old truck home today !!!!!
Honestly Ford was a close second place , performance and feel wise , but overall drive ability , comfort , power out the ass , aesthetics , dash electronics and a standard 100k mile drive train warranty , not to mention the mean n tough sexy looking front to back !

Ram was an easy pick after driving 11 new vehicles from the big 3 and 4 low mileage used over two days !
I went with a 2014 4×4 QC 5.7 Red on red !

I SHOT IT WITH MY P.S.E. EVO MAX !!!!

13Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was a die hard GM guy all my life. I owned 2 Silverados (an 03 1500HD CC 4x4 and a 09 1500 extcab 4x4 LTZ). At the time that these trucks were introduced they were IMO, the best in class. Dodge at that point had not reached the quality and styling that would push me to change manufactures. I waited for the 14 GM trucks to be introduced as it was time for a new truck. The biggest turn off for me was the styling. Many guys out there might not agree, but I think GM got the styling wrong big time (GMC looks better than Chevy) When I drove the comparable 14 in comparison to my 09, there was no major change in interior quality, ride and power (5.3). The other issue too was the $$$. Now maybe it was my local dealer, but for 14 EC LT 4x4 with the standard 18" wheels and cloth, they wanted almost $39k on the road.

After leaving in disgust, I went to my Ram dealer and drove the 13 ram express quad cab, 4x4 with the 20x9 wheels. Needless to say I was thoroughly impressed with the hemi, the interior (even though i have an express) was much more impressive than my 09 LTZ. The biggest thing besides the price (on the road $28k) was the styling. The ram has more of tough, smooth refined look over the Chevy. I love this truck and am really happy with my decision.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should note also that I didn't really compare available options. I wasn't looking for a fully loaded truck, just a nicely appointed one. My last truck was a fully loaded Rubicon, so I knew what I did and didn't need.

Wasn't looking for leather, heated seats, nav. Just mainly compared suspension, drivability, economy vs power. Wanted good A/C and heat, decent sounding radio.

Ended up with more features than I would have expected like auto headlights, heated mirrors, voice command, EVIC gauges, 20" wheels, Hemi w/duals, sport hood, fog lights, painted bumpers/facia/grill.

After market Nav's have come a long way, and I'm plenty happy with a Tom Tom that I take with me on vacations for use in rental cars.

So, people looking at the whistles and bells may make a different decision, not sure.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I always been a GM fan, still am really. I love my Grand Prix.
GM quality has gotten better, but still not up to par to everybody else in my opinion. Everything is just cheap. The 14s weren't out when I was truck shopping but I still would have got a RAM. I just wanted a HEMI and love it.

Now I've never biased towards any other brands. They all have there + and -.
Fords recent cars/trucks are really nice. Would love a Mustang GT no matter how common they are.

One think I do like about GMs is its so easy to tune them like Hemi Joe said. I could tune 1000 different Grand Prixs if I wanted. Thats the only sucky thing about Mopar..

It wasn't really that big of a deal with my truck though. Not like I'm throwing on heads, cam, blower and trying to run 11s or something..lol

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad has a Chevy and it is an ok truck. It does what he needs and does not complain. One thing I will say is that a comparable Chevy is about 6-8k more expensive than my sport in my area for a few reasons.

1. If you want 20" wheels, you have to step up to the 6.2 liter as they are not available on the 5.3.
2. Towing package from the factory (hitch and 3.92) again requires you to get the 6.2
3. Interior options are more expensive (Navi, XM option, Park Assist) on the Chevy vs the Ram.

Even if you opt out or the larger engine and stick with the 5.3, you are still paying more. I won't even talk about the Ford and their prices. Wow!

Points 1 and 2 are absolutely incorrect. You have a choice of 18, 20, or 22 inch wheels with any engine combo. You can get the max trailering package with the 5.3 or 6.2 in 2014. As for price, yeah, they're expensive. I get a GM supplier discount from my job, and I don't get any discount for Ford or Ram, so the price was the same.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always been a GM fan, still am really. I love my Grand Prix.
GM quality has gotten better, but still not up to par to everybody else in my opinion. Everything is just cheap. The 14s weren't out when I was truck shopping but I still would have got a RAM. I just wanted a HEMI and love it.

Now I've never biased towards any other brands. They all have there + and -.
Fords recent cars/trucks are really nice. Would love a Mustang GT no matter how common they are.

One think I do like about GMs is its so easy to tune them like Hemi Joe said. I could tune 1000 different Grand Prixs if I wanted. Thats the only sucky thing about Mopar..

It wasn't really that big of a deal with my truck though. Not like I'm throwing on heads, cam, blower and trying to run 11s or something..lol

I'm not really brand biased, but I worked at a Ford dealer and owned some Ford's that were giant POS's. I felt like I was making weekly trips to the service department. As for trucks, give me a pushrod V8 like Ram and GM, I don't want a twin turbo V6, can't imagine the reliabilty will be good 5-10 years down the road. I also hate the styling of their new vehicles with the rip off Aston Martin grille. Right now I'll buy anything Mopar or GM, depending on my needs and what I like the best.

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a '14 GMC Sierra crew cab 2wd in July, and it was a fantastic truck. The mpg is real, I was averaging over 19 in city and 22 highway (I drive like a paw paw though). My wife and I took it to the mountains back in October and averaged 21.4 mpg for the entire trip and we hauled my motorcycle. The interior material is updated and refined, and the cab is super quiet. The new 8" infotainment is really nice, and its standard on regular trims. I had the 3.42 rearend and it did fine. I never felt like it needed more power. I only sold it because I thought I could do without 4wd and I was wrong. Looked at getting into the same truck with 4wd but I could get a better deal on a slightly used '13 RAM 4x4. The Sierra was, at that time, my favorite truck ever. Heres where things changed....

Ram really knocked it out of the park with the '13 updates. The full console with bucket seats in the RAM is a better layout than the GMC full console. The 8.4" screen in the RAM has MUCH better graphics and more inputs. Its not even close. The instrument panel info screen in the RAM is bigger and has a better interface as well. While chevy and GMC have more soft-touch material, the Ram did a better job with its design. Everyone that has been in both of my trucks agree that the RAM's interior is nicer and seems larger and more impressive than the GMC.

As for the feel of the motor, the RAM again seems better. I have the 5.7L with 3.55s and 6speed trans (my GMC was the 5.3L with 3.42s and 6speed). I can't tell you specific numbers, but the seat-of-the-pants meter is clearly in RAM's favor. My wife was completely suprised with the pull and feel of the RAM compaired to the GMC. They both are very smooth riding vehicles.

Outside looks are what they are. Personal preference determines that. I personally love the '14 GMC/Chevys, square wheel wells and all. But the RAM just seems to be a more imposing visual image coming down the road. I have been thoroughly impressed with it. I was a little worried that going from a newly designed truck like the Sierra to a newer used truck would give me buyers remorse, but that has not been the case. In fact its been the exact opposite.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the GMC. If I had purchased a 4x4 from the start, I would still be in that truck and completely happy. But I truely feel that my RAM is a better truck than the Sierra, and I'm glad that circumstances introduced me to this truck. FWIW

(I know I just wrote a book lol, but I figured not too many people have actually owned a '13+ RAM and '14 GMC/Chevy. Also, my experienced is based off a well equiped GMC SLE CC Z71 vs. Sport CC 4x4)

I couldn't agree more. When I traded in my loved and venerable 03 Duramax I tried both Chevy and Ram, never liked the Fords except the way the Raptor looked but the inside was cheesy on those. While the 14 GM wasn't out yet I compared the Ram Sport to a loaded GMC with the 6.2. I feel the interior, where you spend the most time far superior, and refined in the Ram. As for power, my 5.7 felt much stronger than the GM 6.2 as well. I had wondered if I made the wrong choice since the 14's were due out but I couldn't wait as I needed a truck and after they did feel confident I made the right choice after all.

ottoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was holding out for a long time for a new Sierra...

some of the reasons:

1.)where I live GM has much better resale then the Ford/Dodge counter parts
2.)you get a "new truck" which is more future proof for at least 5yrs vs a "face lift"

but with the RAM, it was much better bang for the buck, more unique, and the aforementioned aspects like the drivetrain..

one thing that really shocked me driving the new Sierra...

forward visibilty was horrible... in my 04 2500 I couldn't even see the hood... in my 13 theres a "power bulge" other wise it's the same as my 3rd Gen.

in the sierra it's like having a picnic table infront of me! :S

the ram feels much "smaller" around me and easier to place on the road and in the parking lot... and I found the Coil suspension much more comfortable vs the leaf.

the Uconnect is one of the best handsfree BT systems I've ever used...

I truely believe the Fiat DNA has really helped improve chrysler vehicles accross the board..

I bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee recently, and by FAAR it was the best bang for the buck. no comparison