14" Magnaflow with Kids?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying ro decide on size of Magnaflow muffler. I have read numerous posts and watched endless video clips. I have a 5 year old and a 2 month old so I'm trying to figure out if a 14" will be too loud in the cab for them. I would appreciate some feedback from people who have this muffler or the 18". If u have kids that would help as well with my decision. Much appreciated as always :D

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have long tube headers, ory pipe, cutout and maggy 18" glasspack. My boy was 4 months old when i did all that and it didnt bother him, even with cutout open and wot. Lol but a 14 should be good. I had one before my son and liked it just wasnt quite loud enough for me.

Camo Ram

m.truitt527

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 18" Magnaflow and resonators still on. It's very quiet for the most part in the cab. Only if you WOT it, you will hear a little bit inside. I have a 13 RCSB.

jay c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 QCSB with JBAs, Y-pipe and the 14" Maggie. I think the sound is pretty mellow until you stomp on it .

Sent from my EVO

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think with either, if you're driving responsibly, as you should be with chidlren, you won't have any issue. I'd go with the 14" only because 90% of the time with the 18" I wish I had gone with the 14".

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So long as you keep the resonators, 14" should be fine. I could see it being bothersome droning on the highway, w/o res.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
So long as you keep the resonators, 14" should be fine. I could see it being bothersome droning on the highway, w/o res.

Not to derail but would an 18" without resonator sounds descent on the highway?

Interested in this myself though my girlfriends daughters are 6 and 8 and love when I go fast in the truck but I think get tired of the noise from the K&N CAI I have under the hood at WOT.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think with either, if you're driving responsibly, as you should be with chidlren, you won't have any issue. I'd go with the 14" only because 90% of the time with the 18" I wish I had gone with the 14".

I decided to get the 14". Thats what I wanted to know. How it would sound under normal driving conditions. Thanks everyone for the input. I am buying it locally for 100 $ and the muffler shop said they would put it in for 40 $.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I decided to get the 14". Thats what I wanted to know. How it would sound under normal driving conditions. Thanks everyone for the input. I am buying it locally for 100 $ and the muffler shop said they would put it in for 40 $.
Don't forget to come back with an AAR. (After Action Report)

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not to derail but would an 18" without resonator sounds descent on the highway?

Interested in this myself though my girlfriends daughters are 6 and 8 and love when I go fast in the truck but I think get tired of the noise from the K&N CAI I have under the hood at WOT.
We have an 18" Magnaflow with the stock resonators and it sounds great.
Very throaty during acceleration.

but the drone can get a little tiring on a long distance road trip down the interstate with the MDS kicking in.

and we only have a K&N drop-in. :)

Last edited:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
We have an 18" Magnaflow with the stock resonators and it sounds great.
Very throaty during acceleration.

but the drone can get a little tiring on a long distance road trip down the interstate with the MDS kicking in.

and we only have a K&N drop-in. :)

Thanks for that, I am looking to get long tube headers to a maggie y pipe to a cutout and finally the 14, 18 or 24 maggie muffler 3" SI/ 2.5" DO with the pipes under my bumper and change my K&N CAI to a S&B CAI.

Now if only that money tree I planted grew faster... :anitoof:

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After doing more research I'm right back where I started sigh........I am worried that the 14" will be too loud combined with my S&B. I am also worried drone will be annoying on the freeway. With that being said I am also worried the 18" won't be much different from the stock exhaust already on my sport. So far this is turning out to be the hardest decision yet for my truck..........frustrated to say the least. I wish I knew somebody close by with either of these so I could hear in person.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have a 24" and it's much different than stock. People know I have a muffler on it. Oh, and I have a 9 month old and a 3 year old. Idle is deep and throaty, and under acceleration, it sounds mean without being annoying or blappy. I HATE blappy exhaust.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

Last edited:

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
After doing more research I'm right back where I started sigh........I am worried that the 14" will be too loud combined with my S&B. I am also worried drone will be annoying on the freeway. With that being said I am also worried the 18" won't be much different from the stock exhaust already on my sport. So far this is turning out to be the hardest decision yet for my truck..........frustrated to say the least. I wish I knew somebody close by with either of these so I could hear in person.
I am not sure where you are located.

We don't have any small children that ride with us on a regular basis, the grandkids have not been in the truck yet.

If it was me trying to make up my mind,
I would probably put on the 18" and then if I was really unhappy with the results, install the 14" and either:

sell the 18" (even if I only recoup half my money)
-or-
put it on my garage wall (to remind me not to listen to internet people :) )
-or-
just to have for later use if I decide that I want quiet things down a bit.

Hope this helps a little.

ETA: and if it turns out the 18" is too loud, you can always swap out to the 22"
also keep in mind women have better hearing than men. (mother hearing, or something like that :) )

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW my 22" is quite a bit different than stock from OUTSIDE the truck. From inside it sounds stock unless you have the windows open at WOT. I'm very impressed, and have ZERO drone at highway speed, when MDS kicks in or around the city. And it's not annoying even when bouncing off the front of out trailer with the back window open which I was pleasantly surprised about.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the 18" and it's a huge improvement over stock. Oh my god when you crank the truck it sounds so good. I have people turn their heads all the time when I start up the truck. Not sure if they think, "man that sounds good or wtf." I'm absolutely, absolutely, absolutely, did I say absolutely, glad I didn't go with the 14." I would have had to change it out. There's drone on the freeway with the 18 and I imagine if I tow it will get on my nerves. You'll notice when you cut into 4cyclinder mode too. 60 to 65 mph seems to be the worse spot for drone......

Maybe find out if you live close to someone and take a ride with them?

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
How many of you guys are keeping the res on? Before or after the muffler that you are swapping out.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
My resonators are on... I have ZERO drone and I know drone... I can barely here the MDS kick in as well.