2015 Pre-buy inspection: what should I be looking for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kodoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey all, I've been in Toyotas for 25+ years, but will be looking at a 2015 Ram Tradesman 6.4L Hemi 4x4 with 130k miles. The Toyotas just don't do what I need them to: we're putting a flatbed camper on and driving south for a few years.

I don't know anything about 3/4 ton trucks, or Rams. It'll be used from a private party, 2nd owner.
  • What should I be looking for on the pre-buy inspection? Like, specific problems that this model year might be running into.
  • What maintenance should I definitely check to be sure has been done (I'm not talking oil changes--more like timing belts)
  • Are there things that are likely to come up in a Ram this age...again, major things, transmission problems, head gaskets, parts that rust away?
  • I know the truck was in a serious rear end wreck that damaged the bed beyond repair...still waiting for what work was done following that wreck.
We won't be towing, and the payload for the 2500 will easily handle the camper, people, and dog.
Thanks in advance for your help.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No timing belt to worry about. Really there are no major gotcha's. Pretty sure the 6.4 is still susceptible to The Tick, so listen for a loud ticking when the engine's running. It doesn't happen to every engine but if there's one defining flaw in the modern Hemi, it's that. If it ticks (ongoing, while running not just the first 2 seconds on cold start) and you can't verify that it's just an exhaust manifold bolt you will want to completely rule out lifter failure before entering contract to buy that truck.

The HD trucks, if they had limited slip it's a helical unit which is desirable. Half tons had a clutch type LSD.

At 5ish years if you really aim to get some life out of the vehicle it's a good idea to change out the coolant, its rust inhibitors are sacrificial and 5 years is kinda the right time to replace them. Also check that the transmission fluid has been changed - it's not a weak transmission by any measure but any conventional automatic you plan to run a long time shouldn't swim in its own sauce more than 60k miles.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@kodoz is this a salvage vehicle? You really need to know how much damage was on this truck from the rear end collision. Best advice is run a Carfax on it you, never know if there's more than one accident tied to that VIN. A full vehicle Report with Collision / mechanical / warranty history would be worth its weight in gold.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah.... I would keep looking.....gotta be other great deals out there other than one that's been wrecked!!

OP
OP
K

kodoz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good advice on the rebuilt title. It's in Oklahoma (which sounds like they have some decent laws on rebuilt titles), and the owner is sending photos of the damage, repairs, and inspection reports. I wouldn't give it consideration (because there are good Rams out there with clean histories) but it has a camper buildout that we are interested in. I'm moving slow and careful on it to figure out if the rebuilt title is going to be a problem for me. The owner is forthcoming, so I'm expecting to get full info on that.

As far as the mechanical on the truck, what I'm hearing from you guys is making me feel pretty good about it. Thanks.