2025 1500 RamCharger. Is it an EV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not sure what category this one falls into. PHEV I think would be closest. Zero interest for me, but an interesting concept.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Frankly, it's the only truck they offer that would get me to trade off my PW...
I wonder what my 6.4L will be worth when they aren't available anymore?
Mabey they'll just keep getting more expensive like the 12valve Cummins..

Wire4money

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This truck is making a big splash on the Ford truck forums. Lots of good comments.

If I was younger and needing a new truck, I would seriously consider a second year production model of one.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They call it an EV, but it has a gas generator to recharge the battery. I know of at least one other vehicle that does this and it's clearly called a hybrid.

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They call it an EV, but it has a gas generator to recharge the battery. I know of at least one other vehicle that does this and it's clearly called a hybrid.

What car is that? I thought Hybrid meant the gas motor would power the powertrain, not just charge the battery.

TravelinMan66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not really reinventing the wheel so much as finding a never before used use for that wheel.

This does peak my interest because of the fact that it is still rated to tow a full 14,000 pounds, granted at a greatly reduced range but what entirely gas powered truck doesn't lose range when towing at max load.

Tony Ansley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Yes, this is what is called a "serial hybrid" in that the ICE is not directly connected to the drive train...it is only there to charge the battery.

Tony Ansley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
What car is that? I thought Hybrid meant the gas motor would power the powertrain, not just charge the battery.
What you describe is a "parallel hybrid" in that either the battery or the ICE can directly drive the power train.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know the (now defunct) Chevy Volt?

Think of it as something similar to that. You can plug it in and run pure electric for short trips. For longer trips a gasoline "range extender" engine kicks in to keep the batteries charged. So if you go on a long trip you don't need to worry so much about finding a charging station.

IMO still a waste. If you only drive short trips why carry the weight of the gas engine and associated equipment around? If you drive longer trips why lug around a battery? It's a halfway house vehicle that, ultimately, satisfies nobody. Reason GM no longer makes the Volt. The concept was tried a decade ago and failed.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
0-60 in 4.4sec?? Sign me up!
My wife's Grand Cherokee 4XE is 1 sec quicker 0-60 than the 5.7 Hemi version and it is no joke on the highway...
I usually find a reason to pass someone every morning on my commute home and hit triple digits in the time it takes to pass a semi...
I'm the last person to embrace new ideas.. ( I just got my first smart phone last summer)
but her 4XE made me a believer...
Plus I can drive it to work all week on the same fuel my PW uses in a day...

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
90 kW battery means this is a legit pure EV for most commuters towing a hurricane around just in case. Brace for MSRP shock. Lot going on there.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton it'd be at the top of my list. 663 HP, 615 ft/lbs of torque, 690 mile range, up to 2620 lbs of payload with 12,000 lb towing capacity.

Now, that's all on paper. I'll still wait for the real world testing results. Specifically towing range. Like, how far can it tow a 8000# travel trailer before it's dead dead. EV efficiency drops significantly under load.

bballr4567

Reaction score
If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton it'd be at the top of my list. 663 HP, 615 ft/lbs of torque, 690 mile range, up to 2620 lbs of payload with 12,000 lb towing capacity.

Now, that's all on paper. I'll still wait for the real world testing results. Specifically towing range. Like, how far can it tow a 8000# travel trailer before it's dead dead. EV efficiency drops significantly under load.
Why would it go dead dead? I think you are thinking this is an EV. It is not. It has a generator that will forever charge the batteries as long as you don't run out of gasoline.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Why would it go dead dead? I think you are thinking this is an EV. It is not. It has a generator that will forever charge the batteries as long as you don't run out of gasoline.
It's a range extender, not a drive forever generator. It doesn't put out enough amps to stay ahead of the battery drain, hence why it has a 690 mile range. Otherwise, why have a battery at all? Yeah, sure you could pull over and stop to allow the generator to recharge the battery. But you will eventually drain the battery. Even faster when under a tow/haul load.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca