Ram 1500 EV is questionable if it makes it to market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After the disaster with Ford 150 Lightning, Ford is basically putting the brakes on all of their EV line, GM's Mary Bara has changed the release of their Silverado/Sierra 3 times in 60 days, and now GM says its going to be 2025 maybe?, their 1500 line was supposed to be released last September 2023, the Lake Orion Assembly Plant will be mothballed till some time 2025 where the 1500 EV is to be built, Ford is getting ready to write down billions of dollars again, GM and Stellantis have been dragging their feet on their 1500's and for good reasons, nobody whats to buy an EV pickup truck along with other EV's. Rivian has dropped their production over 50% since 2022, and they dont make that many in the first place, not to mention their ugly as hell, they are loosing over 32K per unit, their stock is tanking, and to top it off, many of their trucks that have been on the road for a while are having tons of problems, and many of these problems they don't know how to fix, good luck Rivian.

Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares hates EV's, but he puts up with them because of government cash and mandates, Tavares was told by government "if you don't sell EV's, you die", Tavares has way more brains than any government leaders, so Tavares dragged his feet, Ford announced they are doubling their ICE units, GM announced they are increasing ICE production because their running out of money, and to make money you have to make vehicles people want. To top things off people aren't buying the climate emergency crap enviro whacks have been screaming, and thats coming back to roost on these politicians and special interest, there is an eniro whacks in my area who screams climate emergency and we all need EV's, yet he bought a new ICE Ridgeline to haul his crap to his cabin cruiser with twin 502 marine Chevy engines, he said he needed that truck, yes these special interest people are hypocrites.

Last edited by a moderator:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
There are quite a few people who want to buy an EV pick up…. But nobody wants to spend six figures… at 6% interest.

The local Ford dealer has 9 Lightnings collecting dust in the showroom. Hard pass at those prices.IMG_3911.png

If you want a Hemi truck, the local Dodge dealer has one for half the price of the EV.
IMG_3912.png

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are quite a few people who want to buy an EV pick up…. But nobody wants to spend six figures… at 6% interest.

The local Ford dealer has 9 Lightnings collecting dust in the showroom. Hard pass at those prices.View attachment 531029

If you want a Hemi truck, the local Dodge dealer has one for half the price of the EV.
View attachment 531030

Half the price and 10 times the utility.

For a new truck buyer these days, the Ram classic is still the best value around.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
half the price but the cost of maintenance is 1000x what is is for an ev. my wifes Tesla cost $15 for maintenance in 2023,not including insurance.it may be a little more next year because it will need new wiper blades. she's on the list for a cybertruck.if we're on a road trip it cost about $17 for a full recharge which goes on my oldest sons account.my powerwagon cost about $200 to fill.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
half the price but the cost of maintenance is 1000x what is is for an ev. my wifes Tesla cost $15 for maintenance in 2023,not including insurance.it may be a little more next year because it will need new wiper blades. she's on the list for a cybertruck.if we're on a road trip it cost about $17 for a full recharge which goes on my oldest sons account.my powerwagon cost about $200 to fill.

Wait until it comes time to replace that battery my friend.

Tesla's also have interiors that are more suitable in a geo prizm. Guess we all value different things in our purchases, for me it's not just the cost but like 99% of my pushback against electric trucks is due to range and how impractical it is to work with.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t think the full toll of the recent strikes and new contracts on EV production have been made public yet. On top of all the EV red ink and buyer resistance, the new labor costs and restrictions on plant closings and shuffling are probably going to result in multi-year delays, if not a second death null for USA EVs that may rival the one in the 1920s.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Tesla's also have interiors that are more suitable in a geo prizm. Guess we all value different things in our purchases, for me it's not just the cost but like 99% of my pushback against electric trucks is due to range and how impractical it is to work with.
And before the battery totally craps out, it will begin a slow decline in capacity that affects all lithium batteries after repeated charging and discharging. Before long your 200 mile range will be down to 180, then 160, then 150, etc.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can't help but think the people and politicians pushing the EV agenda have a naive and parochial view of American life.

We don't all have 50 mile (or less) commutes. We don't all live in densely populated areas of the US.

And then too, which isn't mentioned nearly often enough, the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the US power grid, which at present, wouldn't be able to handle the additional load of charging all these EV's.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It will take a lot of gas purchases and maintenance to make up the $50k difference in price.

There is still the question as to if the EVs will still be able to operate after 15-20 years of use like petrol trucks do on a regular basis.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just watched an older video where a guy with a Ford Lighting towed an aluminum trailer 40 miles to get a Ford Model A truck, and back the same distance, and was happy he made it. Yeah, not work for me. I am rural it is a 10 mile round trip to get milk, 100 mile trip for a Big store beyond Walmart, no TY, MY 19 does well, LOL.

ADDED: I would not wanna even think how far I would get hooking up my 2150 lb trailer and getting a load of hay, lmao.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just watched an older video where a guy with a Ford Lighting towed an aluminum trailer 40 miles to get a Ford Model A truck, and back the same distance, and was happy he made it. Yeah, not work for me. I am rural it is a 10 mile round trip to get milk, 100 mile trip for a Big store beyond Walmart, no TY, MY 19 does well, LOL.

ADDED: I would not wanna even think how far I would get hooking up my 2150 lb trailer and getting a load of hay, lmao.

I've seen that video. He wasn't near as happy with his truck when he got home as he was when he left.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

The local Ford dealer has 9 Lightnings collecting dust in the showroom. Hard pass at those prices.View attachment 531029

View attachment 531030

In fairness, you're comparing a Lariat (fairly high trim) to a Gen 4 Express (one gen old and a low trim). The spread isn't quite so dramatic here, though I get Canada pricing is likely different. In a 50 mile radius of me, the cheapest is an XLT at $55k and the most expensive is a Lariat at $80k. The cheapest Ram 1500 Classic is a Tradesman at $32k but it's a regular cab. A more apples to apples comparison is still about a $20k USD difference between a similarly optioned XLT Lightning and 1500 Classic.

The XLT has a range of 240 miles. That's pretty useless for me, even if it was the same price.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi

lol.by the time i have to replace the car how much will you have spent on yours in gas,oil,tuneups,etc.last time i changed plugs in a hemi it cost me a friggin fortune.lets not forget the slow decline in compression,burned out coil packs and trans wear ,and lets not forget the hemi tick and the manifold fiasco and the long idle problems.and then there's the worn out diff and all the components that are involved in 4wd. i've been there already,i'm on my 8th truck and they cost to repair and they always need repair,especially in the drivetrain. not buying your arguement. i'll sacrifice a shorter distance/charge to the cost of running an ice any day.i drive a powerwagon and my mileage is atrocious.and if you charge your ev properly and condition the batteries when needed they will last.read an owners manual.there's a procedure to properly charge a Tesla.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
lol.by the time i have to replace the car how much will you have spent on yours in gas,oil,tuneups,etc.last time i changed plugs in a hemi it cost me a friggin fortune.lets not forget the slow decline in compression,burned out coil packs and trans wear ,and lets not forget the hemi tick and the manifold fiasco and the long idle problems.and then there's the worn out diff and all the components that are involved in 4wd. i've been there already,i'm on my 8th truck and they cost to repair and they always need repair,especially in the drivetrain. not buying your arguement. i'll sacrifice a shorter distance/charge to the cost of running an ice any day.i drive a powerwagon and my mileage is atrocious.and if you charge your ev properly and condition the batteries when needed they will last.read an owners manual.there's a procedure to properly charge a Tesla.

Nah man, the electric truck costs $20k more at minimum. Compare chevy's ev wt vs ice wt. Then after 10 years your battery is probably done (because it's a truck that works hard and tows and is not a garage queen) and costs another $20k or you just lost the value of your truck. Not to mention the massive depreciation hit, your resale percentage will be far lower than a gas truck just like diesels keep their value far more than gassers do.

EV trucks are not going to save you money, and they have very bad range and long charge times. About the only benefit is "instant acceleration". I can do without that, I don't see the point in relocating my kitchen to the rear wall every trip out.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The EV pickup truck for the Big 3 was Elon Musk shoving them under the bus. If they were such a great idea why wasn't the Cybertruck out years ago? People are more likely to buy an EV car/SUV than a truck.
Musk knows that even with the head start he has with Tesla any of the major auto manufacturers would eat him alive going head to head on with cars/SUVs. The established auto companies didn't have to learn how to build cars(something Musk is still trying to figure out), they have many years of knowledge and resources to build cars faster and less expensive. Where the ICE car companies lacked in EV R&D they can fast track that with $$$, something they can get with backing from the ICE vehicles they build.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen that video. He wasn't near as happy with his truck when he got home as he was when he left.
YEAH, he was an unhappy camper, but did say to fact great torque on take off, which is true.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Nah man, the electric truck costs $20k more at minimum. Compare chevy's ev wt vs ice wt. Then after 10 years your battery is probably done (because it's a truck that works hard and tows and is not a garage queen) and costs another $20k or you just lost the value of your truck. Not to mention the massive depreciation hit, your resale percentage will be far lower than a gas truck just like diesels keep their value far more than gassers do.

EV trucks are not going to save you money, and they have very bad range and long charge times. About the only benefit is "instant acceleration". I can do without that, I don't see the point in relocating my kitchen to the rear wall every trip out.
ev trucks will never save anybody money,but the fact is that ICE trucks will be legislated out,so either buy someones clapped out truck in the next decade or go electric.ask a Californian about small engines.it's coming whether we like it or not.and i paid 100k for my ram back in'21 and i will never see that back.i either keep it or take a bath on it. as for longevity,research ev batteries.i have a Ram and an EV. real world experience, not something i read on the net.and an ev truck will not depreciated faster /more than an ICE truck for the simple reason that an EV truck has fewer wear parts.my ev motors will be running looong after your ICE engine has crapped out.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ev trucks will never save anybody money,but the fact is that ICE trucks will be legislated out,so either buy someones clapped out truck in the next decade or go electric.ask a Californian about small engines.it's coming whether we like it or not.and i paid 100k for my ram back in'21 and i will never see that back. as for longevity,research ev batteries.i have a Ram and an EV. real world experience, not something i read on the net.and an evtruck will not depreciated faster /more than an ICE truck for the simple reason that an EV truck has fewer wear parts.

Ford still has a v8, GM just doubled down on them earlier this year by committing to making a new generation v8 for use in trucks and suv's. They're not gone in trucks yet, and while there is a v8 in a truck I will by that first. If there is no v8, I'll take a gas powered whizzer. If I have no choice, yeah of course I'm buying an ev but that date is decades in the future. It could be 10 years yet before the last v8 is gone, and another 10-15 of owning that truck etc could be 25 to 30+ years before I'm forced into one. Heck I could get hit by a bus, I see no point in buying an ev now just because at some point in the very sketchy/distant future that could be the only choice.

As for depreciation, it's all supply and demand. Nobody wants a used ev just like they don't want a hole in their head. Double for trucks because they're useless for many people when used as trucks; therefore, every person that would never buy an EV while a gasser exists, that demand for your ev is gone. Couple that with a deteriorated battery and I think we see the writing on the wall here.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
The EV pickup truck for the Big 3 was Elon Musk shoving them under the bus. If they were such a great idea why wasn't the Cybertruck out years ago? People are more likely to buy an EV car/SUV than a truck.
Musk knows that even with the head start he has with Tesla any of the major auto manufacturers would eat him alive going head to head on with cars/SUVs. The established auto companies didn't have to learn how to build cars(something Musk is still trying to figure out), they have many years of knowledge and resources to build cars faster and less expensive. Where the ICE car companies lacked in EV R&D they can fast track that with

Ford still has a v8, GM just doubled down on them earlier this year by committing to making a new generation v8 for use in trucks and suv's. They're not gone in trucks yet, and while there is a v8 in a truck I will by that first. If there is no v8, I'll take a gas powered whizzer. If I have no choice, yeah of course I'm buying an ev but that date is decades in the future. It could be 10 years yet before the last v8 is gone, and another 10-15 of owning that truck etc could be 25 to 30+ years before I'm forced into one. Heck I could get hit by a bus, I see no point in buying an ev now just because at some point in the very sketchy/distant future that could be the only choice.

As for depreciation, it's all supply and demand. Nobody wants a used ev just like they don't want a hole in their head. Double for trucks because they're useless for many people when used as trucks; therefore, every person that would never buy an EV while a gasser exists, that demand for your ev is gone. Couple that with a deteriorated battery and I think we see the writing on the wall here.
time will tell i guess.all i know is a cybertruck will do for me anything my powerwagon does.tows my toys and once every few years my travel trailer for a trip.by the by,the cybertruck has huge towing/hauling #'s.a large portion of truck owners use their trucks for light duty truck type things,dump runs,groceries,weekend home depot,that kind of stuff.you can pose in almost anything,ask the brodozers.more than a few will never miss their trucks,lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goggles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a video of a Rivian towing a 10K lbs load, talk about great torque, it did 0-60 mph in 12 seconds, powers not the problem, the temperature was hovering near freezing, he was towing 10K lbs, he got 100 miles out of a full charge, so he lost 2/3's of his range, the video also shows the problems he ran into, inconsistent wild swings in range estimates, and problems when it came time to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.