2025 Ram 1500 TRX Drops 6.2L Hellcat V8, New 3.0L Hurricane I6 Packs Over 500 HP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1695844842467.png

As you're well aware, 2024 is the final year of the Hellcat-powered Ram TRX off-road pickup truck. Chrysler is going down the inline-six route for 2025, with said engine being the 3.0-liter Hurricane.

1695844915229.png

1695844972897.png

Officially dubbed Stellantis Hurricane, this lump comes in two flavors. The standard-output specification belts out a respectable 420 horsepower and 468 pound-feet (635 Nm), which is more than you get from the B58 inline-six turbocharged engine of the BMW M340i compact executive sedan.

In the Ram 1500-based Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the high-output specification is an extra over the 6.4-liter HEMI. Rated at 510 horsepower and 500 pound-feet (678 Nm), this lump is 39 horsepower and 45 pound-feet (61 Nm) up on the naturally-aspirated V8.

It also rivals the S58 in the BMW M3, which is low-key impressive in every respect. How much power and torque can we look forward to from the 3.0-liter Hurricane in the 2025 Ram 1500 TRX? As per a leak that's been making the rounds on multiple forums, we're dealing with the high-output specification.

You already know the numbers, but some peeps claim that we're going to receive a bit more oomph. Given that Chrysler is much obliged to take the Hurricane beyond 1,000 horsepower as a crate engine, it's easy to imagine 700-odd horsepower in this particular application, therefore matching the soon-to-be-discontinued Hellcat supercharged V8.

Also shared by Butter Da Insider, the leak in question lists vehicle identification number 1C6SRFUP8SN500347 and the 8HP75 torque-converter automatic. Designed by ZF, this gearbox is called 8HP75 because it has eight forward gears and takes up to 750 Nm (553 pound-feet) of torque.

That's as important of a detail as it gets, for the high-output Hurricane is pretty close to said rating. By comparison, the 2021 to 2024 Ram 1500 TRX is equipped with the 8HP95 that supports up to 900 Nm (664 pound-feet). The diesel-specific version can easily handle 1,000 Nm (738 pound-feet) of twist.

Revealed in August 2020 for the 2021 model year, the half-ton pickup truck with 35-inch rubber boots can hit an electronically limited 118 miles per hour (190 kilometers per hour). Chrysler quotes 12.9 seconds at 108 miles per hour (174 kilometers per hour) for the quarter mile, as well as 4.5 seconds from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour).

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX used to retail at $69,996 (plus $1,695 for the destination freight charge). Although exempt from the gas-guzzler tax, it's a heavy drinker. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the four-wheel-drive thriller averages 12 miles per gallon (19.6 liters per 100 kilometers) on the agency's combined test cycle.

Although the build & price tool doesn't list the 2024 model at the moment of writing, we do know that Chrysler is bidding farewell to the Hellcat-powered TRX with a special edition that costs $117,625 (plus $1,995). By comparison, the 2023 model year Ram 1500 TRX carries a starting price of $85,700.

Online article by Autoevolution

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Power does require fuel, but a forced induction engine only needs massive amounts of fuel when making boost. When driving at lower load you don't need boost, thus the fuel savings.

They've been doing basically the same thing with MDS on the Hemi for years. Under light load half the cylinders drop and the 5.7L V8 becomes essentially a 2.85L four. You can achieve a similar result with turbocharging a small engine, and not have all the complicated MDS stuff.

Reliability, durability and performance of turbo engines have made great strides over the past decade. GM is offering a ten year warranty on the turbo four in Silverado, they stand behind it and they want buyers to be confident in it. Yes I know nothing will sound like a naturally aspirated high displacement V8, but increasing demands for both power AND efficiency are finally bringing the V8 era to a close.

Power does require fuel, but a forced induction engine only needs massive amounts of fuel when making boost. When driving at lower load you don't need boost, thus the fuel savings.

They've been doing basically the same thing with MDS on the Hemi for years. Under light load half the cylinders drop and the 5.7L V8 becomes essentially a 2.85L four. You can achieve a similar result with turbocharging a small engine, and not have all the complicated MDS stuff.

Reliability, durability and performance of turbo engines have made great strides over the past decade. GM is offering a ten year warranty on the turbo four in Silverado, they stand behind it and they want buyers to be confident in it. Yes I know nothing will sound like a naturally aspirated high displacement V8, but increasing demands for both power AND efficiency are finally bringing the V8 era to a close.
I just think it's 6 in one and half dozen in the other really. No significant fuel savings for the individual. 8 cylinders are now AR15s and pitbulls lol

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Well now the trx stopped down to the lame ford raptor engine. The V8 is what most certainly took the advantage

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From the guys that cant build proper electronic steering racks, garbage air suspension, MDS junk, and that gave us that e-torque junk now want to sell turbo engines.

hard ******* pass on that hot garbage.

Ill keep my old working junk :anitoof:

Last edited:

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
First, the idea of a high performance engine in a 6000lb platform is about as dumb as it gets and the number 1 reason none of the previous attempts by any of the big 3 made it past a few years of production. Anyone remember the "Viper" truck? Fords V10 triton? The 454 and 502 in the GM trucks?

I get the turbo straight 6. An inline engine can spin higher RPMs than a V8. And it is smoother. But it is going to be a big fail as far as efficiency. It will suck gas and get about the same millage. The downside is obvious. It will take up more room in the engine bay. Everything will have t be pushed back further in the cab, or some serious rearranging of accessories to get it to fit out front.

No motor head is going to like them. The V8 hs a sound of its own and a straight six is just going to be lacking. The aftermarket will have to rethink a hoste of products depending on how popular they get too.

If you want/need power in a 6000lb truck, buy a Cummins. If you want something almost useless, buy a turbo charged straight 6, which makes no more sense than a super charged V8.....in a truck......

Another downside is stuffing one in a performance car. A straight 6 is not going to be a good match for a mid engine Viper. V6, maybe. But not a straight 6. And if you do not have a mid engine, you can not compete with GMs C8. The C8 is the number one reason performance cars across all manufactures below the 200,000 dollar mark are losing market shares. Including the Hellcats and top end Mustangs, for the same money.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Did you ever meet that guy who swears the best steakhouse in town is "No big deal" and he'd "never go there"? It's usually because he can't afford to go there. Just sayin'....

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 529076

As you're well aware, 2024 is the final year of the Hellcat-powered Ram TRX off-road pickup truck. Chrysler is going down the inline-six route for 2025, with said engine being the 3.0-liter Hurricane.

View attachment 529078

View attachment 529079

Officially dubbed Stellantis Hurricane, this lump comes in two flavors. The standard-output specification belts out a respectable 420 horsepower and 468 pound-feet (635 Nm), which is more than you get from the B58 inline-six turbocharged engine of the BMW M340i compact executive sedan.

In the Ram 1500-based Jeep Grand Wagoneer, the high-output specification is an extra over the 6.4-liter HEMI. Rated at 510 horsepower and 500 pound-feet (678 Nm), this lump is 39 horsepower and 45 pound-feet (61 Nm) up on the naturally-aspirated V8.

It also rivals the S58 in the BMW M3, which is low-key impressive in every respect. How much power and torque can we look forward to from the 3.0-liter Hurricane in the 2025 Ram 1500 TRX? As per a leak that's been making the rounds on multiple forums, we're dealing with the high-output specification.

You already know the numbers, but some peeps claim that we're going to receive a bit more oomph. Given that Chrysler is much obliged to take the Hurricane beyond 1,000 horsepower as a crate engine, it's easy to imagine 700-odd horsepower in this particular application, therefore matching the soon-to-be-discontinued Hellcat supercharged V8.

Also shared by Butter Da Insider, the leak in question lists vehicle identification number 1C6SRFUP8SN500347 and the 8HP75 torque-converter automatic. Designed by ZF, this gearbox is called 8HP75 because it has eight forward gears and takes up to 750 Nm (553 pound-feet) of torque.

That's as important of a detail as it gets, for the high-output Hurricane is pretty close to said rating. By comparison, the 2021 to 2024 Ram 1500 TRX is equipped with the 8HP95 that supports up to 900 Nm (664 pound-feet). The diesel-specific version can easily handle 1,000 Nm (738 pound-feet) of twist.

Revealed in August 2020 for the 2021 model year, the half-ton pickup truck with 35-inch rubber boots can hit an electronically limited 118 miles per hour (190 kilometers per hour). Chrysler quotes 12.9 seconds at 108 miles per hour (174 kilometers per hour) for the quarter mile, as well as 4.5 seconds from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 kilometers per hour).

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX used to retail at $69,996 (plus $1,695 for the destination freight charge). Although exempt from the gas-guzzler tax, it's a heavy drinker. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the four-wheel-drive thriller averages 12 miles per gallon (19.6 liters per 100 kilometers) on the agency's combined test cycle.

Although the build & price tool doesn't list the 2024 model at the moment of writing, we do know that Chrysler is bidding farewell to the Hellcat-powered TRX with a special edition that costs $117,625 (plus $1,995). By comparison, the 2023 model year Ram 1500 TRX carries a starting price of $85,700.

Online article by Autoevolution
BIG mistake killing the V-8.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys..WE have the power ...just DO NOT BUY this CRAP...Keep the Hemi/V8 whatever and just keep fixing any problems..at the end of the day you will be the one smiling not these Manufacturing geniuses!

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You guys..WE have the power ...just DO NOT BUY this CRAP...Keep the Hemi/V8 whatever and just keep fixing any problems..at the end of the day you will be the one smiling not these Manufacturing geniuses!

Posers with more money than sense will buy it for the name and to say they have one. The V8 rumble is what makes it what is is….

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The " You cant afford it " guy :anitoof: is usually the one with a Mortgage and truck payment :cool:

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Common sense vs Ego...I have my own little bubble, Happy with my HemiI ..Logic rules!.. ~..LOL

Last edited:

greenvan

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge ram van 1500
Engine
5.2 v-8
I used to have a Dodge Dart with a 6 cylinder engine. It made about 68 HP on the dyno. Top speed about 75 mph. LOL

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that is a memory you have stirred. When I was a youngster for about 3 months I owned a 426 Dodge dart hemi..OMG..did it ever scare the S out of me when i occasionally opened it up on Bow Trail in Calgary....It was light and fast..and a Frenchman friend tuned it..sold it and bought an SS Camaro for $3000..those were the days!

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The HP/Torque number for the TRX specific Hurricane engine have not been announced, just the current production numbers.
Your forgetting about the "HurriCrate I-6" which is has potential 1000 HP numbers. A good indication of HP numbers is what the SRT cars will have.

These guys are hating on the TRX v6. Funny but the guy says the tranny won't hold 1000 from how they come from the factory

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
What a stupid idea it is to drop the V8. GM and Ford are laughing now.
Ford tried it and learned with the Raptor but that's about it...
In 2019 before I bought my 2019 Laramie I went to 3 different Ford dealers intending on testing the F150 with the 5.0L cause I heard how much power they made.
Couldn't find one.
Not one V8 in 3 different towns and 3 different dealers. They were pushing the V6s hard...
Still are as far as I can tell from a quick net search..

Last edited: