2nd Gen Guy Looking to Buy 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
First off I apologize if this has already been been covered or I'm posting in the wrong section. I haven't been on this forum in probably almost 2 years lol Ive been busy. But anyway yeah, as the title states, I am officially in the market for a "new" truck. I currently have a 2000 Ram 1500 5.9. Ive had it for the past 5 years. I love the thing to death and put plenty of blood, sweat and tears and then some more blood into it but its getting to the point where I either completely restore the thing or sell it while it still has some sort of value. However, I am always torn with the thought of watching someone drive away with my baby. But 4th gens are now affordable for me and I have my eye on a few. Here are my main questions:

-First off, for those of you who have 4th gens, do you enjoy it as a truck overall?
-Will I regret getting rid of my 2nd gen for one?
-I'm like 90% positive on a crew cab but are there any arguments for a quad cab other than bed length?
-Are they pretty easy to maintain/work on?
-What are some of the pros and cons of your 4th gen?
-Anything major to look out for when buying one?
-Anything else y'all might want to add!

I'm wanting to start taking more road trips with some buddies and I think a new 4th gen would be better off for that sort of thing. Not that the 2nd gen couldn't take long road trips but in terms of ride quality, cab room, mpg etc. I think a 4th gen is currently the way to go at this point in my life.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. I am kinda just putting it all out there to see what you guys have to say about all of it. Let me know your guys' thoughts! Thanks in advance.

never-enough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know what you mean about letting go of a vehicle that you’ve put so much into. It can be tough to let go of a car/truck that you’ve made your own, and become attached to.

I have a 2017 sport that I bought almost a year ago and I’ve put 10k miles on so far. These are my thoughts..

I think overall it’s a great truck.
It’s ride quality is superb. It has plenty of power and a great interior.

As far as quad vs crew cab, I’m not the guy to ask as I went for a regular cab. But to me yes the biggest down side of a crew cab is the short bed. A bed that’s under 6’ is a no go for me. If that’s ok for you and you are going to have a group in the truck for a road trip than a crew cab is clearly the way to go.

As far as working on the truck...
the more modern a vehicle gets, the more of a pain they are to work on in my opinion. More computers to deal with is a pain in the butt. The suspension and what not is not a big deal. But just about everything else....
it’s not impossible by any stretch. But some things that used to be fairly easy now require extra steps or workarounds. The more new vehicles I have, the more I think we’ve jumped the shark when it comes to the technology in our vehicles.
This is a general statement and the 4th gen trucks are no worse in this regard than anything else out there.

I’m pretty confident about the fact that overall you’ll be really happy making the jump to a 4th gen.

Good luck!

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I have a quad cab pentastar,My last truck was a 4.7 3rd gen quad cab.The new truck with the v6-8 speed tranny is way better,more power than the v8 and way easier on gas.I regret not buying the crew cab though,I've sat in the back of one and they have a lot more room and comfort than the quad.You can get the crew cab I believe with both options on the bed lenght,It can be got with same bed as quad cab.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I think its gonna be one of those 'out of sight out of mind' things for my 2nd gen lol Once its gone I wont really be too concerned about it. Its just that build up for selling it that has me up in arms lol

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As was already said, the crew cab is worth the extra space and your back seat passengers will enjoy it on a road trip. Go to a dealer with both on the lot and see for yourself.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As far as the shorter box goes you can get crew cabs with the 6.5 box. Just not as common. Going from a 2nd gen you should be pretty happy with the upgrade. When you test one out run through all the controls you'll use while driving and see if you like them or feel you'll get used to them. I have 2 4th gens. The older one is the one I far prefer because I like the controls and the way certain features work. The newer one I'm personally not a fan of, but if I didn't have the old one for comparison I'd likely feel differently. You'd be making a huge jump in ride quality, cabin comfort and power from what you have now.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
-First off, for those of you who have 4th gens, do you enjoy it as a truck overall?

Without Question

You’ll get over it.

-I'm like 90% positive on a crew cab but are there any arguments for a quad cab other than bed length?

No arguments, you can get a crew cab in both 5’7” and 6’4” beds.

Yes, especially if you’re already handy.

You can find them all over the forums.

Listen for manifold leak / lifter tick

3.92 gears and limited slip dif are both pluses on an 8 gear tranny.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Mostly going to echo the above thoughts, but here goes anyway. I used to own a 2001 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4. Basically an extended cab with suicide doors. 5.9 V8. Traded it in for a 2010 Dakota with the 4.7 V8. The Dakota wasn't a bad truck, but it was too much of a compromise for me. Long story short, back in a Ram now.

Yes, I do. The only part I am not in love with is the 4x4 system, which I will explain later.

You will get over it pretty quickly with the new-to-you 4th gen in your hands.

You can actually get the crew cab with the standard 6.4' foot bed if you get a 2015+. I think 2015 is when they started that as an option anyway.

Otherwise, not any arguments from me. I like the extra interior space for guests.

That depends on your definition of easy, I wouldn't call it hard to work on though.
As easy as a 2nd gen? No. Its like comparing a rocket from WWII to the space shuttle.

OK, its not that bad, but you get the drift. However, generally speaking, they have far fewer issues than the 2nd gens, so you shouldn't need to be working on it as often.

The only real con I can think compared to the 2nd gen is the 4x4 system. The higher-trim levels that use the BW44-44 transfer case have an auto-4x4 system that, while adequate, doesn't have a true "force lock", so you can never be 100% in control of the 4x4. The computer will always be involved.

If you want a traditional 4x4 system, you're either stuck with mid-trim levels and down that have the BW44-45 t-case (no auto 4x4 in the selector buttons/knob), or the Rebel.

Everything else is a positive over the 2nd gen. Better ride, better handling, more power, better gas mileage, more comfortable cabin, etc. etc.

Although its definitely something to listen for, lifter tick can sometimes be misdiagnosed when its just manifold leaks. These hemis are infamous for warped manifolds (degree of warp varies from case to case), which result in some leaks/ticking until warmed up. For some, its just a few seconds. For others, its minutes or more. However, I find the newer hemis are just, in general, not a quiet engine. Not a complaint, just an observation. Once the hood is closed though, its quiet enough.

Keep an eye at the headliner, especially around the top of the back window. Half-way common issue is 3rd brake light leaks in rain, leading to water-stained headliners. It seems that all makes seem to have this issue to some degree, with Fords and the GM twins also showing complaints about this.

2009-2012 have the 5/6 speed transmission with the floor shifter.
2013-2018 have the 8 speed as an option. 8-speed is a far better transmission overall, 99% of the time.

Easy way to tell if it has the 8 speed or the older 5/6 speed (older tranny was still an option well into the latter years of the 4th gen, depending on trim level):
If it has a floor "t-bar" or handle shifter, or a column shifter, it has the 5/6 speed.
If it has a dial on the dash, traditionally where the 4x4 dial would be, it has the 8 speed.

If you can, check out one with the Ramboxes. You lose a little bit of inside-the-bed width, but I love the things! Never knew how much I would love them until after my first year of ownership!

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Mostly going to echo the above thoughts, but here goes anyway. I used to own a 2001 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4. Basically an extended cab with suicide doors. 5.9 V8. Traded it in for a 2010 Dakota with the 4.7 V8. The Dakota wasn't a bad truck, but it was too much of a compromise for me. Long story short, back in a Ram now.

Yes, I do. The only part I am not in love with is the 4x4 system, which I will explain later.

You will get over it pretty quickly with the new-to-you 4th gen in your hands.

You can actually get the crew cab with the standard 6.4' foot bed if you get a 2015+. I think 2015 is when they started that as an option anyway.

Otherwise, not any arguments from me. I like the extra interior space for guests.

That depends on your definition of easy, I wouldn't call it hard to work on though.
As easy as a 2nd gen? No. Its like comparing a rocket from WWII to the space shuttle.

OK, its not that bad, but you get the drift. However, generally speaking, they have far fewer issues than the 2nd gens, so you shouldn't need to be working on it as often.

The only real con I can think compared to the 2nd gen is the 4x4 system. The higher-trim levels that use the BW44-44 transfer case have an auto-4x4 system that, while adequate, doesn't have a true "force lock", so you can never be 100% in control of the 4x4. The computer will always be involved.

If you want a traditional 4x4 system, you're either stuck with mid-trim levels and down that have the BW44-45 t-case (no auto 4x4 in the selector buttons/knob), or the Rebel.

Everything else is a positive over the 2nd gen. Better ride, better handling, more power, better gas mileage, more comfortable cabin, etc. etc.

Although its definitely something to listen for, lifter tick can sometimes be misdiagnosed when its just manifold leaks. These hemis are infamous for warped manifolds (degree of warp varies from case to case), which result in some leaks/ticking until warmed up. For some, its just a few seconds. For others, its minutes or more. However, I find the newer hemis are just, in general, not a quiet engine. Not a complaint, just an observation. Once the hood is closed though, its quiet enough.

Keep an eye at the headliner, especially around the top of the back window. Half-way common issue is 3rd brake light leaks in rain, leading to water-stained headliners. It seems that all makes seem to have this issue to some degree, with Fords and the GM twins also showing complaints about this.

2009-2012 have the 5/6 speed transmission with the floor shifter.
2013-2018 have the 8 speed as an option. 8-speed is a far better transmission overall, 99% of the time.

Easy way to tell if it has the 8 speed or the older 5/6 speed (older tranny was still an option well into the latter years of the 4th gen, depending on trim level):
If it has a floor "t-bar" or handle shifter, or a column shifter, it has the 5/6 speed.
If it has a dial on the dash, traditionally where the 4x4 dial would be, it has the 8 speed.

If you can, check out one with the Ramboxes. You lose a little bit of inside-the-bed width, but I love the things! Never knew how much I would love them until after my first year of ownership!

Dang man very informative! The certain ram im looking at currently had that tick your talking about and the dealer got that addressed so thats good there. I did go back and forth with the ram boxes and for me personally I would prefer for the truck to NOT have them. Idk what it is about them if its the shrunken bed space or the look from the side of the truck but something about them does not sit well with me. Then again, literally everyone I have ever talked to that has had them said they love them. For me though, Ill probably go without lol

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Yes. Let me repeat that: Yes.

No idea... never drove a 2nd Gen.

I have a QuadCab. My (adult) kids are freakin' gargantuan (6'3" and 6'2".) They do okay in the back for trips to or from the airport (1.5 hours in one direction), but I suspect things would get very uncomfortable for them on any serious road trip, which is why their mother and I split between the truck and her car, and caravan it when we do go anywhere more than 100 miles in any direction.

Fairly decent. I haven't found anything too far out-of-the-way or too functified. But compared to a 2nd Gen? No idea.

Rides and corners almost like a car, tons of engine pep (even on my little 6-banger), way better gas mileage, megatons of storage inside the cab... The only cons? I'm starting to hate the headlights (for aesthetic reasons more than anything else.)

That... that's gonna be quite a list, and largely depends on engine, 4x2 vs. 4x4, gear ratio, trim package...

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We really like the 2017 quad cab that I bought last April. it's an Express model, which is a lower end trim level, but it had some nice options like 20" wheels. I added the upgrades I wanted (upper glovebox with door vs. the stock open bin, steering wheel radio controls, running boards, hard tonneau cover, mud flaps) and I'm very pleased with the result. It's my 5th truck in the last 20 years, but mostly I've owned mid-size trucks like a Colorado and a Frontier.

I went with the quad cab because all my kids are grown, it's just my wife, dog and I 99% of the time, so no need for a larger back seat but I do get the larger bed. It's easy to park at the parking garages at my work. A quad cab also has a bit higher towing payload and towing our travel trailer is why I bought a Ram in the first place. I have the factory two package (3.92, integrated trailer brake, etc) which is SUPER nice compared to the kludgy thing I had on my Frontier.

I don't have the "4x4 auto" described earlier because it's an Express. I used it in 4x4 today for the very first time (snow!) and as expected the truck did great.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, I enjoy every single second I'm driving my 2011.
Never had a 2nd gen.
Go crew cab. Go big or go home! Looks great.
Easy to work on unless it's something serious (lifter, camshaft, etc)
Pros: Overall great looking/sounding truck, especially with an aftermarket exhaust. Reputation for long engine lives. No rust (at least mine doesn't). Good mix of luxury and bad assery.
Cons: Known to have failing lifters/camshaft (mileage depends). Very easy to spend money on these beasts. Quite an addiction really.
I wouldn't buy one with a bunch of mods already on it. Who the hell knows what the previous owner did. Definitely get the 5.7, you'll smile every time you step on it.
Be patient and look for the right truck! Don't want to jump the gun and have your wallet hurting later. Good luck!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I drive a hemi. Bought it knowing there are a few trouble areas. Manifold bolts and lifters that fail and take out the cam. The cam issue is not as wide spread as some believe. Don't over look the Pentastar V6. I believe it puts out more hours than your 5.9 magnum. Not sure about the torque numbers on your 5.9.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I drive a hemi. Bought it knowing there are a few trouble areas. Manifold bolts and lifters that fail and take out the cam. The cam issue is not as wide spread as some believe. Don't over look the Pentastar V6. I believe it puts out more hours than your 5.9 magnum. Not sure about the torque numbers on your 5.9.
I regret not driving a pentastar to have a reference. I went right for the hemi, no regrets. Maybe I'll go test drive one just so I can compare.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I’ve driven my Dad’s 16 Hemi and I have a 17 Pentastar. Both Big Horn Crew 4x4. I had an 08 2500 Cummins back in the day too.

I’ll be honest. I love my V6. Thing still throws you back in the seat. It does rev a bit higher of course but once the trans warms up it shifts smooth as silk.

I drive 30 miles to work one way. 20% stop go, 40% highway 55mph redlights, 40% highway 70mph non stop. I’m averaging around 18-19 mpg. That’s with some morning warm-ups.

Bed wise, my dad says his only regret is not getting the 6’4” bed. Myself I’m happy with the 5’7”.

Look for the options you want. Heated seats, power seats, screen size, etc. lots to be had out there.

Oh. And the V6 oil filter is a heck of a lot easier to get to. You won’t regret trading up. I don’t miss my old truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crew cab. Reality is that damn few people are affected by having the 5'7 bed vs the 6' bed. Those few inches don't meaning thing for 99% of the people who aren't brain dead. If you do carry people in the rear the Crew cab configuration is well appreciated, if not so much in having riders, take your pick, it doesn't really make much difference. After owning both, new and old quad and new crew, just prefer the crew, hands down. Good luck..

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Why not a Crew Cab with an 8-foot bed? I look forward to jumping in this baby every day.

Truker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
DO IT ! You won't regret it. I had a '98 ram quad cab sport for 16 years. Was a great truck and never let me down but she was getting tired. Looked at new ones for years before getting one and I love my '18.
Ordered it with only the options I want/ need. Hemi, trailer tow pack, remote start, etc..
The old truck was a tank compared to the new one and had half the power. Very comfy too .

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Im on my second 4th gen. I had a 2013 sport and im in a 2017 sport now. Crew vs Quad.... My '13 was a quad, loved it, loved the box side for hauling lumber. My 17 is a crew, I find it drives more balanced and it handles better. I love the extra space in the back seat for day to day stuff, groceries, tools, etc...I don't usually have anyone in the back. But i do miss the larger box of the quad. If you don't need the extra back seat room, get a quad...Thats just my opinion.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I'm not going to go to deep into this cause most of it has been covered,,, but plain and simple, if you were happy with your second gen you'll be thrilled with a 4th gen of any kind.

I came to Ram from GM and couldn't be happier with the switch. The 4th gens have great power and efficiency. They ride great and the interior is second to none. They are easy enough to work on mechanically, depending on your trim level, there is ALOT of electrical/computer components.

They have proven to be a reliable truck and they do what they were designed to do very well. Not to mention, they are the best looking truck on the road from the 2009-2019 era.

My only complaints of the 4th Gen ram are lack of paint quality, and questionable body panel designs that will allow rust to accumulate easier.... but that's a different conversation. I say go or it, you won't regret it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357