2nd Gen Guy Looking to Buy 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Thanks for the info guys! Ive been looking every day on all the car search websites and have found quite a bit. Obviously super nice ones but those are out of my price range. lol I really want to stay under 17k for price. Which kind of puts me in a weird position. Where I live anyway. Around me, in Kansas, rust is common, but I havent seen any 4th gens with rust problems around me. Which has impressed me. But the downside to having a 17k budget is that most of the trucks are under that, usually at 15k or so, but they all have around 150,*** miles. Which doesnt really scare be but ive never owned a hemi so I am not sure if those kind of miles would be too much when considering a used 4th gen.

What are your guys' thoughts on how many miles is too many miles?

Also, the guys with the floor gear shifter with the center console, is it more worth it to get that or is the regular fold up center arm rest with regular column shifter good enough? I really like the full center console but some of the nice trucks in my price range dont have it. I just feel like the old column shifter with regular flip up arm rest is kind of too basic if I am trying to upgrade. But I am open to suggestions.

Secondly, I have been looking at silverados as well. Mainly due to the 5.3 motor. But the reason the ram has me convinced to go with it is for a couple reasons:

1. Coil springs in the rear vs leaf with the chevy. I rarely tow and when I do its just our little pop up camper or sometimes a bass boat. So the coil springs in the rear shouldnt be a problem I wouldnt think. Am I correct in saying that?

2. Rear drum brakes. I have them on my 2nd gen and CANNOT stand them. I hate servicing them and think disc brakes stop better.

3. The rust over the wheel well is super bad on those trucks in my area. So I dont want any part of that.

4. The interior of the chevys feel SUPER outdated in my opinion compared to the ram.

All in all, I am still looking at silverados just to see if I happen to run across a good deal but a 4th gen ram is looking like its going to be my next truck.