4.7L owners I would like to know how you are doing in regards to MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
... couldn’t justify the 4.7 power/mpg with a Hemi engine that has more power/mpg in the later models.

I can understand 100%, but since I will have the truck paid off in 3 months I can’t complain. I will keep driving and loving her until it’s time to trade up to a Cummins.

I am right there with you... Originally wanted a CTD, but have not found one in decent condition at a decent price...

In my neck of the woods 20 years old truck falling appart from rust and rot are still going for an amazing 5~10k$ depending on how stupidly crazy the owner is...

On the other you can get a 10~12 year CTD with a very decent body but with higher mileage for around 12~15k$. In my opinion if the has been well cared for that is a better deal.

My '02 is paid for and cost next to nothing in insurance so about the only cost to me is gas and repairs (which I do myself). So I am saving for a CTD which I plan to buy in a few years.

I'm looking around though, and if I ever find a good deal on a 4x4 hemi I could be tempted to update.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
My '02 is paid for and cost next to nothing in insurance so about the only cost to me is gas and repairs (which I do myself). So I am saving for a CTD which I plan to buy in a few years.

I'm looking around though, and if I ever find a good deal on a 4x4 hemi I could be tempted to update.

I spent a few years overseas and finally was stationed back in the States in April. My jeep had been sitting pretty much the entire time. Years of sitting without any love will take a huge toll on a vehicle, and I needed something fast that I could rely on... found my 03' Ram later that week. I’m not going to say that I came across a deal, in all actuality I over paid for it BUT that’s the past and I am overall happy with having a reliable vehicle regardless of it being an underpowered gas guzzler. The 4.7 works fine for most part with what I need it to do, I still have to ask for help when I need something large towed but that’s very rare.

I can’t fault the previous owner for trading up. If the price and find was good enough I'd do the exact same thing. Lastly, I have never complained about the MPG on my truck, it doesn’t get the best… true, but hey it’s a full sized truck and I needed it for a reason. Few months ago I used the truck to remove a tree from my yard, looked over at the jeep and Nitro and just smiled… I knew why I had bought the truck.

(Sorry, I may have gotten a bit carried away)

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
Ive been calculating out about 16-17mpg from my stock '07 4.7. That is right on par with what the trip computer is telling me. Only mod is a Magnaflow XL muffler, and a well maintained engine. The 4.7 doesn't have a **** ton of power, but it does have enough to easily motivate this heavy beast in fast moving traffic. The truck and 4.7 does everything that I want, including hauling full size cars and trucks on my flat bed trailer. I'm sure a HEMI would be a little better, Im just not convinced that it's worth all the effort/time required to swap one in. She might get a Cummins at some point in the future though, once the 4.7 gives up the ghost, since I'll be keeping my truck for life. Love this truck! :favorites13:

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
I am getting 14mpg city/cold short drives. 16mpg country. 4.7 with Edge CS economy. 265/70R20 winters on her right now.

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
(Sorry, I may have gotten a bit carried away)

No Problem, not really complaining. Was just curious as to what others were getting when I started the thread and also felt I was guzzling more fuel than it should.

The SC tune helped a fair bit, but I suspect there are still some TLC required to get things up to par with the truck. Not too long ago I removed the rusted remains of the e-Brake and that really has improved the sluggishness.

I busted a ball joint this week, and I am waiting on a complete front end kit I ordered today along with some new front hubs/bearings.

Later this spring I'll flush the remaining fluids (tranny and X-case) which are the last fluids to be renewed on the truck. I have barely 5000km on the truck and already have done 2 oil changes, 3rd one is coming in soon. The oil gets very dirty very quickly and smells gas, so I believe I am actually cleaning the engine of some long time sludge deposits. Maybe I'll throw in a can of seafoam (or something similar) in the oil pan to see if will clean up more ****, and hopefully allow for even better oil flow. At least I can say I have gotten rid of the cold ticking so far and am left with only a little timing chain noise until the engine gets up to operating temp.

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
19-20 mpg highway. Speed 55-65 mph depending on the speed limit.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Later this spring I'll flush the remaining fluids (tranny and X-case) which are the last fluids to be renewed on the truck. I have barely 5000km on the truck and already have done 2 oil changes, 3rd one is coming in soon. The oil gets very dirty very quickly and smells gas, so I believe I am actually cleaning the engine of some long time sludge deposits. Maybe I'll throw in a can of seafoam (or something similar) in the oil pan to see if will clean up more ****, and hopefully allow for even better oil flow. At least I can say I have gotten rid of the cold ticking so far and am left with only a little timing chain noise until the engine gets up to operating temp.

I would buy a used oil analysis over a can of seafoam.
It costs like 20-25$ at CAT/Hewitt if you dont get the TBN (extra 20$) which you dont need if you are just looking at fuel dilution and contamination.
Much better to know whats actually going on in there rather than just guessing and throwing random chemicals into it.
If you really do have excessive fuel dilution that indicates either a problem or lots of cold starts and never bringing it up to temptature long enough to burn off fuel and water.

kontrolled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express QC
Engine
I have an 03 4.7 with 120k miles

19-20 highway mpg and 14-15 in town

Had issues with gas mileage right after I hit 100k
changed plugs and O2 sensors and it went back up after that

i have to agree with this man i have an '08 4.7 with 130k on it and still sitting pretty on around 16-18 mpg a tank mostly highway though.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Ok I have a question, cause looking at the digital gauge I put in my truck the other day, I seem to get better MPG (in town) in tow mode (that's pushing the button on the auto shift handle). Highway makes no difference, I get 15 - 17 mpg highway.

Intown in reg mode 8.5mpg & tow mode is 11.5, not sure why, maybe has been programmed?

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Tow mode will usually prevent the truck from being able to engage in overdrive. I don't know the truck's PCM enough to say if there is a different map for this mode which could be. The other thing the "Tow Mode" disables is the MDS system which disables some pistons but this MDS system only came in '06 and later models(need confirmation here). This would potentially mean that the truck then has better low end torque which would definitely help getting the truck moving with less effort resulting in better MPG's.

This is only a best guess supposition at this time as I have not tried it myself, but I will definitely give it a shot.

I have an SCT tuner and the High MPG program cannot be used for towing and the towing mode does not make good MPGs for obvious reasons.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I have no idea what I'm getting, haven't crunched the numbers.
All I know is I get better mpg's than my 5.2 Durango and the Hemi in my '11.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I have a question, cause looking at the digital gauge I put in my truck the other day, I seem to get better MPG (in town) in tow mode (that's pushing the button on the auto shift handle). Highway makes no difference, I get 15 - 17 mpg highway.

Intown in reg mode 8.5mpg & tow mode is 11.5, not sure why, maybe has been programmed?
My '02 was the same. I would always drive with the OD off button pushed if I was around town and driving below 45 mph. It would get better mpg that way.

I believe it had to do with the motor being in the optimal rpm range for best power and not lugging it down.

DREW4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get around 17.5 mpg on my 4.7 with me making it roar the magnaflows every time i accelerate.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Well I did get my superchip, & put the mileage xs program in it, hopefully get better, it seems to be better power.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was getting 14mpg avg highway.

Changed the spark plugs to Autolight 2X platinum and now am getting 19 highway.

The only other thing that has changed is the temp is not -20 and new timing chains and lash adjusters.....Could that do it?

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Ok filled up with fuel & with using the tow haul mode on truck with superchips programed to mileage XS, I got 15.15mpg this tank.
So using the tow haul button in town does work for better mpg.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every MPG counts!! I am constantly getting 18-19 MPG. Im quite happy!!

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do about 90% highway. I live in a rural area and drive through a couple towns everyday. That will be part of why i get higher mpg.