5.7L Vs. 6.4L 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
my turn to post some videos, just because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxSGGOASUgE

your favorite truck! Bolt on ecoboost (granted it is running **** which is a small step up from the average joe) ... 12.8 @ 104

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCYtv4iLAos

6.4 PSD in kill mode.... 13.02 @103

As I originally stated, diesels are lucky to beat bolt on half tons. And of course you went off on some tangent about how a supercharged half ton is way slower than the mighty tuned diesel.

Again you posted a video of a built motor cummins race truck, not a standard, normal modded diesel.

lol @ go to the track... I HAVE. I have run 9s in a stick shift car. I know what it takes. But you on the other hand, you drive up with your special diesel tune, load it up, show me whats what, and then drive off into the sunset.

Seriously, you are a huge douche.

I know you will respond to this, to get the last word, so go ahead. Ive said what I wanted to say. Hopefully its saved one person from believing your bs.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
As I originally stated, diesels are lucky to beat bolt on half tons. And of course you went off on some tangent about how a supercharged half ton is way slower than the mighty tuned diesel.

Again you posted a video of a built motor cummins race truck, not a standard, normal modded diesel.

And in your mind a "bolt on half ton" is normal? A tuned diesel is more normal than a "bolt on half ton". You would have to spend $6k on the supercharger alone not to mention labor and tuning time to get a half ton up to 550 hp. Then there is the factor beefing up the rest of the truck to handle it. Spend that amount of money and time adding a bigger turbo and a bigger fuel pump to a diesel and you would blow a "bolt on half ton" away.

This is what I said from the beginning. You are comparing a slightly modified diesel to a highly modded half ton with a supercharger. Apples and oranges my friend. Spend the same amount of money in modding on both and your theory goes out the window.

Seriously, you are a huge douche.

Thanks for the name calling. It just reinforces my inferiority complex I thought earlier.

Although if you want Ecoboost quarter mile times with mods added then you could just go here. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-quarter-mile-times-mods-162637/

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
And in your mind a "bolt on half ton" is normal? A tuned diesel is more normal than a "bolt on half ton". You would have to spend $6k on the supercharger alone not to mention labor and tuning time to get a half ton up to 550 hp. Then there is the factor beefing up the rest of the truck to handle it. Spend that amount of money and time adding a bigger turbo and a bigger fuel pump to a diesel and you would blow a "bolt on half ton" away.

lmao worst rebuttal yet... i said I wouldnt post again but i couldnt resist...

1) I said bolt on, and i supplied one. Its a ecoboost with a tune, intercooler, and ****. pretty basic performance mods for an enthusiasts. (it is an ext cab though, so maybe add .15 or so for a crew cab?)

2) I never said supercharger. You brought that into the mix. I said bolt ons. As in exhaust and tune mainly. Generally in the high 13s.

FWIW, the average supercharged v8 runs 11.7-12.50s, quite a bit faster than the average diesel.

3) I supplied a 6.4 PSD with a 310 spartan, one of the fastest diesel combos out there. Its your standard truck, deletes and aggressive tuner. Most diesels with deletes and tuner are high 13s, or worse.

You are comparing a slightly modified diesel to a highly modded half ton with a supercharger. Apples and oranges my friend. Spend the same amount of money in modding on both and your theory goes out the window.

You just keep speaking theories, in theory if i applied this money to this it would do such and such. You have no leg to stand on.

Looks like you are on the ropes. :owned:

Although if you want Ecoboost quarter mile times with mods added then you could just go here. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-quarter-mile-times-mods-162637/

and lastly, look at ALL those bolt on trucks (2-3.5k in mods or less) running faster times than diesel trucks. Yon didnt help yourself by posting that link. But of course... in your world... 3k dollars in a diesel makes it go 10 seconds flat.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
lmao worst rebuttal yet... i said I wouldnt post again but i couldnt resist...

1) I said bolt on, and i supplied one. Its a ecoboost with a tune, intercooler, and ****. pretty basic performance mods for an enthusiasts. (it is an ext cab though, so maybe add .15 or so for a crew cab?)

2) I never said supercharger. You brought that into the mix. I said bolt ons. As in exhaust and tune mainly. FWIW, the average supercharged v8 runs 11.7-12.50s, quite a bit faster than the average diesel.

3) I supplied a 6.4 PSD with a 310 spartan, one of the fastest diesel combos out there. Its your standard truck, deletes and aggressive tuner. Most diesels with deletes and tuner are high 13s, or worse.

You just keep speaking theories, in theory if i applied this money to this it would do such and such. You have no leg to stand on.

Looks like you are on the ropes.

I thought you said what you wanted to say?

In my world, bolt on means supercharger when talking about modding. Oh and a tune does not "bolt on". It is programmed into the ECM.

Either way, if you apples to apples whether you are talking about just intake, exhaust, and tune or upgrading to superchargers or turbos a diesel will be quicker than the comparable half ton.

That 13.02 in a CREW CAB 4WD diesel that you posted would take a regular cab Hemi 5.7L with a Supercharger to beat that according to this forums times. http://www.ramforum.com/f44/4th_gen_official_timeslip_discussion_thread-22374/

All of the other N/A trucks in the 12s and 13s have way more than just a exhaust, intake, and tune going by their owners signature.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In my world, bolt on means supercharger when talking about modding. Oh and a tune does not "bolt on". It is programmed into the ECM.

makes sense.... im getting a feeling... that you own or have owned a rx7, miata, 350z, 240, honda hatchback.. something...but ive got a feeling...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
makes sense.... im getting a feeling... that you own or have owned a rx7, miata, 350z, 240, honda hatchback.. something...but ive got a feeling...

Well your feeling is wrong. Never owned any of those cars. I did own a 2001 Honda Accord 4 cyl., but that was when I was working at Cummins and I needed better fuel mileage because my commute was over 40 miles one way. The only sports car I have ever owned was a 2006 Corvette that I got bored of after a couple years. Everything else have been trucks or off road Jeeps and Yota's. Although my wife's Infiniti SUV has the same motor as that 350Z, does that count? lol

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
caught me off guard! worked at cummins, thats where the love for turbo motors is coming in....

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
caught me off guard! worked at cummins, thats where the love for turbo motors is coming in....

Nope, I loved diesels (especially turbocharged) even before I worked for Cummins. My love of diesel's started from being in the passenger seat watching my grandfather drive his old 359 Peterbilt and listening to that Caterpillar's turbo spool up. Music to my ears.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I waited and waited behind the school at 3 O'Clock and no one showed up......come to find out you are all still here arguing the semantics of "bolt ons"........

I bet you two would almost enjoy a conversation in person if there was a 30 rack involved......

Carry on.....

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Weird things in this thread like oil analysis, uphill challenges kept resonating with me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then when I saw this:

"Although if you want Ecoboost quarter mile times with mods added then you could just go here. http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboos...s-mods-162637/"

it all clicked. This could go on for daaaaays....

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would have to spend $6k on the supercharger alone not to mention labor and tuning time to get a half ton up to 550 hp. Then there is the factor beefing up the rest of the truck to handle it. Spend that amount of money and time adding a bigger turbo and a bigger fuel pump to a diesel and you would blow a "bolt on half ton" away.

How come when comparing gas to diesel and super charging the gas 1/2T the argument is the supercharger would cost $6k more.

Do people forget the cummins as a $8,995.00 option? Oh, and you better check that Aisin Option for $2995.00 if you plan to tune and mod and have the trans hold the power.

I think a lot can be done to a 1/2T and be running 12's for the same price as a bone stock diesel.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I waited and waited behind the school at 3 O'Clock and no one showed up......come to find out you are all still here arguing the semantics of "bolt ons"........

I bet you two would almost enjoy a conversation in person if there was a 30 rack involved......

Carry on.....

I enjoy conversations with just about anybody, even some Liberals. Not all, but some.

That is why I don't insult or call people names like the other members here. Everyone has a right to debate their opinion whether I agree with it or not, just as I have a right to a rebuttal. If it wasn't the least bit enjoyable or entertaining then I would never post or even click to see what the thread was about. I would just move on like I do with many of the threads in the forum.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
How come when comparing gas to diesel and super charging the gas 1/2T the argument is the supercharger would cost $6k more.

Do people forget the cummins as a $8,995.00 option? Oh, and you better check that Aisin Option for $2995.00 if you plan to tune and mod and have the trans hold the power.

I think a lot can be done to a 1/2T and be running 12's for the same price as a bone stock diesel.

Resale. It has been proven time and time again that you will get a bulk of that money back on resale or trade in. This is why used diesel cost more than their gasser counterparts. That is just how you would get more on trade in for the 6.4L than the same truck with a 5.7L.

Take this study from the University of Michigan - http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_cd_umtritcofinalreport_dd2017.pdf

The total difference between the two after factoring in depreciation, fuel, repairs, taxes, insurance, and maintenance was $578 in favor of the gas 5.7L in the 2011 Ram 2500 over the diesel at 5 years and 75,000 miles. That is about an extra $115 more per year for added power and capability. Of course this was with a 2011 Cummins that did not have SCR system so the fuel mileage was considerably less than the current Cummins.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Resale. It has been proven time and time again that you will get a bulk of that money back on resale or trade in. This is why used diesel cost more than their gasser counterparts. That is just how you would get more on trade in for the 6.4L than the same truck with a 5.7L.

WTF does resale have to do with the fact that you can buy a 1/2t and supercharge it for less than buying a diesel truck. This is from your argument that to make a 1/2T as fast as a tuned diesel it has to be supercharged and that costs 6k, still money ahead.

Not to mention your resale point is a double edged sword. A person could find a nice used 1/2t to mod. Compared to a similar diesel the price difference would likely be even greater.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MSRP via online builder has...
29,000 for 1500 Tradesman with 5.7, 8sp, 3.92 limited slip

40,000 for 2500 Tradesman with 6.7, 68RFE, 3.42 limited slip. AISIN not an option.)

42,600 for 3500 Tradesman with AISIN.

Last edited:

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sorry, I stepped away to pop some popcorn......what did I miss?

Wait, what are we arguing about again? Just so I can follow along.......

We've gone from videos of drag strips and hopped up diesels (in the 5.7 vs. 6.4L thread mind you) running 9s to resale value of diesel vs. gassers (in the 5.7 vs.6.4L thread)........is that about where we are at?

I'm going to have to DVR this friggin' thread overnight as I don't want to miss anything...

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My Alaskan malamute will out pull any of your clown dogs.....

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
WTF does resale have to do with the fact that you can buy a 1/2t and supercharge it for less than buying a diesel truck. This is from your argument that to make a 1/2T as fast as a tuned diesel it has to be supercharged and that costs 6k, still money ahead.

Not to mention your resale point is a double edged sword. A person could find a nice used 1/2t to mod. Compared to a similar diesel the price difference would likely be even greater.

You mentioned the $8000 upcharge as a way to go against whatever I am saying just like you have been doing this whole thread. I just pointed out that the upcharge that you are talking about is mostly gotten back in depreciation. In other words, yes it costs $8000 more, but it it is also worth more down the road. I can see your point if a diesel and the gasser were worth the same five years from now, but that is not the case since the diesel will still be worth more down the road.

Your point that a used diesel will cost more than a used 1500 just reiterates my point.

The same can be said about the 5.7L and the 6.4L. The 6.4L cost more upfront, but it will be worth more down the road so that upfront cost is basically a wash.

Last edited: