5.7L Vs. 6.4L 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me refresh your memory.

Put that same $6000-8000 dollars that it would cost you to put a bolt on SC on a 1500 gasser...

Buying a V8 1/2t will leave you with $11,000 to spend vs buying a diesel.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
What....what....WHAT?!!!

Yes, there are many threads that I don't even bother reading or posting. This is why you will never see me post of how I hate a threads topic or complain about people going off topic because I just simply move on if I am not interested.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had shrimp and grits homemade for dinner guys. The boat that caught the shrimp runs on has a cummins motor. The truck that delivered the shrimp once it hit the dock was a 5.4 triton ford. My dad is a commercial fishermen. Point gasses and diesels have their place. Buy what you freaking want and move on. Wasn't this 5.7 vs 6.4.... F*c* who the fudge cakes brought up diesel.... My dad owns the boat and the truck... By the way anyone living in north Florida wanting seafood hit me up lol.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Let me refresh your memory.

Buying a V8 1/2t will leave you with $11,000 to spend vs buying a diesel.

We were talking about money spent on mods being equally the same, not money spent on the truck purchase.

You were the one that brought the money spent on the truck into the conversion even though that was not what we were discussing. Saying that the average Joe who finances his truck will automatically receive $11k to spend on mods just because he purchased a truck that cost that much less is a false one. That is not how it works.

However on the topic of up front truck costs, just because someone purchases a diesel DOES NOT mean he is spending more. I know guys that bought bare bones Tradesman CTDs for less than $40k because having a diesel was an important option for them and others who have bought decked out 1500 Hemi's for over $45k. How does that fit into your equation if those two decided to spend money on mods? As I said before in this forum, a diesel is an option just like an $8k Laramie package with all the trimmings. As with any option it is up to the purchaser to decide if it is worth the cost or not. Some may think spending $8k is on leather butt warmers and navigation is better than spending it on a diesel while others may not. How come no one ever opens a thread about "getting their money back" or "it is just not worth it to me" about spending $8k on a Laramie option yet it gets mentioned all the time with the diesel option?

As I said above, we were talking about money spent on mods and spending the equal amount on each truck, not money spent on the truck purchase since you will get that back in the long run.

Edit: I take that back. Going from a Tradesman 5.7L Crew Cab 2WD to a Laramie 5.7L Crew Cab 2WD is a $10,890 option per Ram's website, not an $8,000 option that I stated above.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
now i feel like the discussion has gotten :homoswitch:

at least before we were talking about engines and performance. Now we are talking about finances, options, and trim levels?

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
I have been researching this very topic for six months now while waiting for our house to sale. It's under contract now so hopefully we will be buying very soon. I personally wanted a 5.7 because of the absence of MDS. I will admit to being affraid of the lifters. I know GM had some issues with engine failures due to the lifters on their early MDS engines. One thing to consider is while building my truck on line I noticed the 5.7 does not have the option for 4.10 gears for the 2016 year models. That is something I will be considering. I think we are going to go with the 6.4, I have not seen to many lifter issues after 2014 with the ram MDS

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
they have been doing it awhile now in the half tons, and it has always seemed to function much better than GM's AFM. I think you are making the right decision.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
now i feel like the discussion has gotten :homoswitch:

at least before we were talking about engines and performance. Now we are talking about finances, options, and trim levels?

Still throwing your little jabs in just to try to insult? I thought you said you were out of here like ten posts ago?

Jvbronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I test drove both with 3.73 rear end. There is a definite difference between the two. The 5.7 didn't seem overworked, but you could tell that it was working to move the truck around.