65Rfe Swap Gone Wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14CammedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7L
Im looking for help or advice. I hope im posting in the right part of the forum. The trans in my 2014 ram 1500 was done for, (slipping and lost 4th, 5th, 6th gears)... I did some research and from what i found most 65rfe would fit so i bought a used one from a 2015 truck. One year newer than my current. Finally swapped trans and went to plug in solenoid plug and its different from my old tans. its the grey solenoid but different end on the plug. So i took old solenoid from 2014 trans, put it in 2015 trans so the plugs would match up and tried it out. Well it seems to drive but it wont let me use the ers (electronic range selector). Wondering if anyone knows about mix matching transmissions and why these 2 solenoids were different and if this 2015 65rfe can be made to work properly in my 2014 truck

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Let's see if one of our knowledgeable technicians can help you out... @Tach_tech

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why not use the grey one? I assume you used the white one? You can guaruntee the white one works by having the correct number of check balls, but I'm not sure why your ERS isnt working. What is the reason you cannot use grey? You saying the grey wont fit? Or the plug has extra holes and you didnt want to use it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe it needs to be flashed or quick learn, no codes?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Im looking for help or advice. I hope im posting in the right part of the forum. The trans in my 2014 ram 1500 was done for, (slipping and lost 4th, 5th, 6th gears)... I did some research and from what i found most 65rfe would fit so i bought a used one from a 2015 truck. One year newer than my current. Finally swapped trans and went to plug in solenoid plug and its different from my old tans. its the grey solenoid but different end on the plug. So i took old solenoid from 2014 trans, put it in 2015 trans so the plugs would match up and tried it out. Well it seems to drive but it wont let me use the ers (electronic range selector). Wondering if anyone knows about mix matching transmissions and why these 2 solenoids were different and if this 2015 65rfe can be made to work properly in my 2014 truck
If you want the ERS to work you will need to use the range switch and base gasket from the 65RFE solenoid pack and install them on to your original 2014 solenoid pack. I have had to do this several times.

OP
OP

14CammedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7L
Why not use the grey one? I assume you used the white one? You can guaruntee the white one works by having the correct number of check balls, but I'm not sure why your ERS isnt working. What is the reason you cannot use grey? You saying the grey wont fit? Or the plug has extra holes and you didnt want to use it?
I did use the grey but apparently there is multiple styles of grey, and this 2015 trans was different grey. So i pulled the grey one outta my old trans that matches the connector on my truck. Just the solenoid though. Nothing else off the valvebody.. Sorry about all the grey lol

OP
OP

14CammedRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7L
If you want the ERS to work you will need to use the range switch and base gasket from the 65RFE solenoid pack and install them on to your original 2014 solenoid pack. I have had to do this several times
That would make sense as i did only swap the solenoid itself.. I Guess ill pull the pan again haha. Way better than pulling trans again and buying another! Thanks for your reply!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That would make sense as i did only swap the solenoid itself.. I Guess ill pull the pan again haha. Way better than pulling trans again and buying another! Thanks for your reply!
Haha yeah man. There is hope. It's way better than having to pull the trans again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93