Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Honestly any vehicle that is bought today should come with premium headlights. I'd rather be able to see the road at night clearly than have my ass get hot or cold. Maybe it's just me.

Oh I agree ! .... just don't understand how Ram is still putting in those crappy ass halogen lights especially the quads in these trucks ....

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what did you do with your 2500 style headlights ?
Still installed in my truck I just received my NOVAS last night but I stayed home from work because I am sick. Guess thats what happens when it goes from 26 degrees Fahrenheit to 70 degree in two days. Once I feel better I am gonna install the Novas and do a review. I plan on selling the 2500 style with the DDM Tuning Ultras plus HID kit of H7 Aukee LED bulbs. Whichever the buyer prefers.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Still installed in my truck I just received my NOVAS last night but I stayed home from work because I am sick. Guess thats what happens when it goes from 26 degrees Fahrenheit to 70 degree in two days. Once I feel better I am gonna install the Novas and do a review. I plan on selling the 2500 style with the DDM Tuning Ultras plus HID kit of H7 Aukee LED bulbs. Whichever the buyer prefers.

I sent you an PM ....

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights don't have switchback LEDs, is that correct? From what I can see, they have sequential LED turn signals and dedicated LED DRL. Looking at that past threads (https://www.ramforum.com/threads/anyone-try-modifystreet-headlights.137858/) one of the big issues with the Pro G2's was the switchback. But, from what I could tell the G1's (and I would assume the 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights) did not have the same issues (because they don't have the switchbacks). I have no first hand knowledge, so just spitballing.

@UgB4e - Was the output on the Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights bad? Or worse than stock? From your photos, it seems way better (brighter and better beam pattern) than my halogen quad setup.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights don't have switchback LEDs, is that correct? From what I can see, they have sequential LED turn signals and dedicated LED DRL. Looking at that past threads (https://www.ramforum.com/threads/anyone-try-modifystreet-headlights.137858/) one of the big issues with the Pro G2's was the switchback. But, from what I could tell the G1's (and I would assume the 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights) did not have the same issues (because they don't have the switchbacks). I have no first hand knowledge, so just spitballing.

@UgB4e - Was the output on the Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights bad? Or worse than stock? From your photos, it seems way better (brighter and better beam pattern) than my halogen quad setup.

Well that is what I would like to know because both the top and bottom drl strips are white when in DRL mode and the bottom one is the one that goes amber ... so that makes it switchback right ? ...

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well that is what I would like to know because both the top and bottom drl strips are white when in DRL mode and the bottom one is the one that goes amber ... so that makes it switchback right ? ...
Thats what I am not 100% sure about?? Looking at this video on YouTube of the the lights (starting at the 2:05 mark), it seems like they do NOT have any switchbacks and the turn signals are separate (from the DRL's). At least I think?!?!?!?!?!

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The light output was very good with an HID kit. Cutoff is crisp and projects very good as well. But I still need it brighter.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Thats what I am not 100% sure about?? Looking at this video on YouTube of the the lights (starting at the 2:05 mark), it seems like they do NOT have any switchbacks and the turn signals are separate (from the DRL's). At least I think?!?!?!?!?!

yeah me too .. not sure at all ... which is why I am confuse as to why they have the issue with the light out ...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

You are correct. No switchbacks just sequential turns. The drl's are there own lights.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
You are correct. No switchbacks just sequential turns. The drl's are there own lights.

When I hooked up my pro series 2500 style lights the damn bottom bar for the turn signals lit up and stayed that way ... that might be why they didn't work and I got the light out error ? ....

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
When I hooked up my pro series 2500 style lights the damn bottom bar for the turn signals lit up and stayed that way ... that might be why they didn't work and I got the light out error ? ....

a09ef3fb4c1ae9a6838b93e50d2f6370.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
a09ef3fb4c1ae9a6838b93e50d2f6370.jpg

yeah the ones that are the turns stayed lit amber after the damn error messages came up ... at first it was all good only the 4 cubes and the upper bar were lit how they should be working and how my buddies @the_goodguy07 works too ... then once they lit amber they stayed that way and the light out message always popped up ....

That is why I thought those were switchbacks and I was waiting for them to turn white at some point lol .... so they were probably wired incorrectly from factory ?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
yeah the ones that are the turns stayed lit amber after the damn error messages came up ... at first it was all good only the 4 cubes and the upper bar were lit how they should be working and how my buddies @the_goodguy07 works too ... then once they lit amber they stayed that way and the light out message always popped up ....

That is why I thought those were switchbacks and I was waiting for them to turn white at some point lol .... so they were probably wired incorrectly from factory ?

Did you have drl's enabled? It's possible it just was a bad set, kinda unlikely that both would have been that way.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Did you have drl's enabled? It's possible it just was a bad set, kinda unlikely that both would have been that way.

Yes, I had the fogs set up as the drls when I installed them .... I am now thinking that it was a bad set and wired incorrectly ... I am going to try putting @the_goodguy07 's lights on mine to see if his throw out an error code on my truck and that would probably explain something right ? ...

But yes ... both lights had the bottom amber lights go on when the light out error message popped up and the fact that @the_goodguy07 doesn't have factory fogs and we had his side markers set up as the drls might now explain something and the reason why his truck doesn't throw the light out error codes ... hmmmm...

the_goodguy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I had the fogs set up as the drls when I installed them .... I am now thinking that it was a bad set and wired incorrectly ... I am going to try putting @the_goodguy07 's lights on mine to see if his throw out an error code on my truck and that would probably explain something right ? ...

But yes ... both lights had the bottom amber lights go on when the light out error message popped up and the fact that @the_goodguy07 doesn't have factory fogs and we had his side markers set up as the drls might now explain something and the reason why his truck doesn't throw the light out error codes ... hmmmm...
@CAG CheechDogg only if you let me try putting your core 4x4 control arms on my truck lol

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So after seeing the images and hearing what UgB4e though of the Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 style lights, I decided to pick up a pair myself from an authorized dealer on eBay. Overall I am very happy with the lights and the increased light output. A few things to note after the install on my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic:
  • Overall quality is good. Well built with quality materials (all of the plastics seem comparable to the OEM quad lights).
  • Fitment (in the fender, grille, and hood is pretty good. I would say it is about 1/16" off from the OEM lights (seems about 1/16" smaller all around).
  • The DRL harness requires a micro fuse tap and one additional 10 amp micro fuse. I was not aware that the Ram used micro fuses so I had to make an extra trip to the auto supply store to get the right parts.
  • The LED DRL startup sequence is very cool and the DRL's are very bright.
  • The sequential LED turn signals work without issue (or any resistors) and operate separately from the DRL lightsl
  • When connecting the factory turn signal harness to the new Alpharex turn signal harness, you will need to disconnect the 3157 turn signal socket (not the bulb) as the new Alpharex lights connect directly to the Ran turn signal harness and not the 3157 plug.
  • I DO get a "Running Light Out" message on the dash (even though the are not), but I have NOT received a turn signal or bulb out error.
  • During installation, I removed the halogen H7 bulbs and replaced them with Aukee 110W 18,000LM 6000K H7 LED bulbs. These bulbs have NOT (at least to this point) thrown any bulb out errors and they are extremely bright.
  • The cutoff line is from the Alpharex projector (with the LED bulbs) is FANTASTIC. Very sharp and wide. The high beam is also very bright from the bi-halogen proctor. My wife has a Durango RT with OEM bi-xenon projectors and the Alpharex produces a wider and more distinct cutoff (not as blurry). The Durango bi-xenons do have upgraded HID bulbs (Sylvania Night Breaker Laser) but the projector lens on the Durango lights are frensel and not clear like the Alpharex.
  • There is plenty of room in both the headlight housing for different sized bulbs. You can even remove the dust cap behind the 4 DRL lights for more space (store a small decoder or very small ballast).
  • I do NOT have AlfaOBD
Overall, I am very pleased with the lighting upgrade. It is new, so I will report if I find any errors or hiccups as time progresses. I was able to get the Alpharex lights for $395, the Aukee LED bulbs for $60.00 and the fuse tap and fuse for $5. For $460 dollars and about 45 minutes of install time, I am not sure this setup can be beat. I have uploaded a quick video to YouTube. The DRL's do NOT blink out in person, it is just the camera not being able to keep up the LED's. I will also try and get some night time shots/video of the LED performance in the low and high beam.

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

OZRE2169.JPG

RIGFE5925.JPG

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Quick update (3/14/21) -
I added LED resistors to the parking light wires following the guidance of Hukweem from his post (https://www.ramforum.com/threads/al...ssages-and-non-customer-service.171533/page-3) and I have corrected the "Parking Lights Out" error. I now have NO errors messages what so ever on the dash and all lights and features function as they should. I was able to get the beam adjusted and I am very happy with the output. The Alpharex H7 projector and the Aukee H7 LED lights perform very well.
https://tinyurl.com/nh3mkjta

IMG_1568.jpg

Snapseed.jpg