Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If the unit completely uses your phone as it's operating system and you don't have your phone with you, how would it work?
As just an am/fm (maybe sxm) and a mp3 media player. Very basic, let the users phone do the heavy lifting.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
As just an am/fm (maybe sxm) and a mp3 media player. Very basic, let the users phone do the heavy lifting.

And it will still control climate and whatever features were stock. I wonder if Google maps would work offline with just GPS antenna (if the local maps were saved).

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And it will still control climate and whatever features were stock. I wonder if Google maps would work offline with just GPS antenna (if the local maps were saved).
The offline maps were mentioned a few times if you read above. There's a decent video posted showing how it works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how is volume adjusting? looks very uncomfortable, i do not have steering wheel controls so screen would be my only option. Is it easy as i could do it without taking my eyes off the road??

This. I'm curious what the two big knobs at the bottom do. The volunteer control that I've seen in videos is at the far right side which looks inconvenient as hell.

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
The offline maps were mentioned a few times if you read above. There's a decent video posted showing how it works.

I read that but unless I missed it no one has confirmed. I'm anxiously awaiting more reviews from those braver than I who have ordered!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes that too! I have seen videos where they stated google maps would work offline using only GPS (I think). It would function no different than any other Android device in that regard.

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
Yes that too! I have seen videos where they stated google maps would work offline using only GPS (I think). It would function no different than any other Android device in that regard.

I didn't realize Google maps would work off line but I played around with it today and yeah, I can download maps and it'll work offline. If the map database doesn't get updated in 30 days then it gets erased but that wouldn't be an issue for me. After more research, this tablet radio can be considered Android Automotive, which is different than Android Auto. There were quite a few tablet radios introduced at CES this year and it looks like this is the way things are going vice Android Auto. The current tablet radios look like they run off of Android 7.0 and are upgradeable to 8.0 (Oreo) when the manufacturer develops it. That's another thing holding me back, not sure if this system (6.0) will have upgrades and future software support. I'll reach out to Linkswell (manufacturer) and see what they say.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I reached out to them several days ago with a simple question and they haven't got back to me yet. Good luck

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
I reached out to them several days ago with a simple question and they haven't got back to me yet. Good luck
I got a response last week within 24 hours, but my question was about where to purchase. I'm not holding my breath regarding my OS support question.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think there will definitely be better options on the horizon as things progress. I don't have much to complain about at this price point, being the main driving force for me. If I had a 8.4, I'd be on the fence.
As a side note for those looking to order one of these; I currently couldn't recommend making your purchase through Espony-Cargo. It sounds like perhaps Phoenix is the better route seeing as someone has actually received their unit from them. I've requested a shipping confirmation from them twice now. The last being 5 days ago without any response. Maybe I'm a stickler for costumer service. After my initial purchase, they replied they would "test and ship within 2 days."

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I'm starting to get bad vibes from this. People's orders aren't arriving, and I can't seem to get a response from them when IO ask questions. I'm thinking my 8.4 works perfectly and I can use the money for my lift kit lol

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
I just looked at the product on Phoenix's website and in the specifications it shows an operating system of Android 4.4.4, which is old and not supported anymore. I really want a head unit like this but I'm going to have to wait until questions are answered and I have more confidence in the products entering the marketplace. As a side note, it seems eBay has Android 6.0 and systems with 2G of RAM, obviously at a higher price.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just looked at the product on Phoenix's website and in the specifications it shows an operating system of Android 4.4.4, which is old and not supported anymore. I really want a head unit like this but I'm going to have to wait until questions are answered and I have more confidence in the products entering the marketplace. As a side note, it seems eBay has Android 6.0 and systems with 2G of RAM, obviously at a higher price.
Just so you know the eBay ones are the same. They just aren't being honest.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Listen I think if you are content with your current setup (be it 8.4 or smaller) then stick with it. I am SURE there are going to be issues with a unit like this. Not to mention if something goes haywire with the climate controls or something else "controlled by the radio" chances are you'll need to swap back to the original radio before a ram dealer would even seriously look at the vehicle for an issue. Example; on my jeep cherokee that I had before my truck suddenly the AC stopped working, wasn't blowing cold air. Took it into my dealer and after a full day they came back with "oh, the connector on the controls came loose, we pushed it back in and you're all set now" Imagine if one of the connection on this back of this unit become loose... yeah issues galore.

This isn't a "main stream" unit, if it was it'd probably be closer to $1,000 to 1,500 for the features it boasts.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
For anyone else wondering, there are front and rear RCA's only. No sub. However, if you have the PAC Audio converter it will still work with this unit. I had convinced myself I no longer wanted this radio for my truck. Now I want it again lol

Manofmayhem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
I just watched all the 2 minute how to videos on Linkswell's YouTube channel, and the unit appears to be awesome. Can anyone confirm the awesomeness? I noticed some of you still waiting to get your units, I think there are a lot of people looking forward to your reviews.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just watched all the 2 minute how to videos on Linkswell's YouTube channel, and the unit appears to be awesome. Can anyone confirm the awesomeness? I noticed some of you still waiting to get your units, I think there are a lot of people looking forward to your reviews.
I think there are 1 or 2 guys in this thread who have them installed.
I JUST got my tracking number from Espony-Cargo... two weeks after ordering. It's not active yet so I still don't know when it'll show.
I was thinking of doing a Ram specific review, but it may be better done by someone with more options; I don't have an OEM reverse cam, heated/cooled seats, auto climate and other things this unit is supposed to control.