Any Tesla radio installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sounds much better. It may just be a mic location thing? Great work!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
edited

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GMScreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The second video is a different mic soldered in place of the stock one and mounted in a more ideal location. You be the judge of the quality

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sorry maybe I didn't explain correctly, I'm asking if is possible at all to sold the OEM mic to the tesla unit ?

dndssc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How to put an other mic in tesla unit??

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You cannot use the stock uconnect dual mics on the tesla system. to put a different mic on you must desolder the existing mic and solder in a new one

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If anyone who has this unit up and running and has their backup camera running could go into the 2 "secret menus" and take pictures of all the settings and post them for me I'd be incredibly appreciative. 7890 and 8861 are the two passcodes needed. New issue that came up sometime yesterday is my rear view camera won't come on now, getting "no signal" on reverse.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anyone who has this unit up and running and has their backup camera running could go into the 2 "secret menus" and take pictures of all the settings and post them for me I'd be incredibly appreciative. 7890 and 8861 are the two passcodes needed. New issue that came up sometime yesterday is my rear view camera won't come on now, getting "no signal" on reverse.
Sending PM right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I happen to live by Linkswell. I was able to call and make an appointment to check out the radio. They were very accommodating and allowed me to play with the test radio on their bench. I found it to be very responsive to touch inputs. The menus were intuitive and the button layout simple to use. The technician confirmed the radio runs on Android 4.4.4 and it is not upgradeable. The Linkswell unit has iGo navigation built in. I really like the size of the screen, along with the resolution. The technician stated they are working on a microphone upgrade in the near future, but he doesn't know if retrofitting older radios will be an option.
Overall, it seemed on par with other head units as far as functionality, screen brightness, and features. I'll be getting one soon

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is responsive for sure. I haven't really had many issues using it as I'm driving. Takes a little getting use to with the layout of things and obviously depending what apps you plan to use will add their own mix of distractions and moving around on the screen for functions. The Linkswell unit is the same as these, I don't blame you for wanting US based help and all that, nice you could play around with it before hand!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It is responsive for sure. I haven't really had many issues using it as I'm driving. Takes a little getting use to with the layout of things and obviously depending what apps you plan to use will add their own mix of distractions and moving around on the screen for functions. The Linkswell unit is the same as these, I don't blame you for wanting US based help and all that, nice you could play around with it before hand!
You guys are my US based help if I go this route!

GMScreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are my US based help if I go this route!

Well said! there is more information about the devices in this thread than the official website. @mdifilippo even was able to replace the mic of the unit, never seen in any of the place I've been reading about this.

Good job @mdfilippo! I will try attach the original mic than come with my truck when mine arrive!

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hoping for some "useful" emails tonight, everyone cross their fingers haha.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a quick update to those concerned about the background image. I downloaded the paid version of car launcher to mess around with. The thing is super customizable. You can have any image you want in the background, reshape areas (different pictures in each if wanted) and add many different widgets.

6dca81a04c317ea1128067456e6efb78.jpg

Preston29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
Cummins owner here jumped over from Cummins forum. Not many Diesel guys know or have done anything with the Tesla upgrade. I would like to clear up a few things for a couple of us that would.
Is there any US based companies that are selling these, I've reached out to a few overseas suppliers and haven't had any feedback on my questions. Our main concerns are the following:

Most all of ours are 4 speed blowers. Are the touchscreen controls working flawlessly. Nothing would be worse than taking a trip acabugging out.

Second. Can the background screen be changed easily, I've read yes no etc . Obviously can't have a gasser on ours haha.

How are the MPH temps etc etc formats working. I've seen alot of incorrect units of measure.

Lastly, since we're going to lose XM, how could I do music WITHOUT relying on my phone etc etc.. local stations here are garbage so XM is a must right now..

Thanks for helping out a fellow RAM family

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just a quick update to those concerned about the background image. I downloaded the paid version of car launcher to mess around with. The thing is super customizable. You can have any image you want in the background, reshape areas (different pictures in each if wanted) and add many different widgets.

6dca81a04c317ea1128067456e6efb78.jpg
Does any form of voice controls work in this launcher? The launcher I'm trying when I try to use the voice feature it says "not available"

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does any form of voice controls work in this launcher? The launcher I'm trying when I try to use the voice feature it says "not available"
I haven't messed with it much yet. When I press the mic button you see on that home screen, it says "Google Now" not available. I'd guess if I had it downloaded it may work. I can also change what application that icon drives, so there are more possible options there. More to test.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,
Cummins owner here jumped over from Cummins forum. Not many Diesel guys know or have done anything with the Tesla upgrade. I would like to clear up a few things for a couple of us that would.
Is there any US based companies that are selling these, I've reached out to a few overseas suppliers and haven't had any feedback on my questions. Our main concerns are the following:

Most all of ours are 4 speed blowers. Are the touchscreen controls working flawlessly. Nothing would be worse than taking a trip acabugging out.

Second. Can the background screen be changed easily, I've read yes no etc . Obviously can't have a gasser on ours haha.

How are the MPH temps etc etc formats working. I've seen alot of incorrect units of measure.

Lastly, since we're going to lose XM, how could I do music WITHOUT relying on my phone etc etc.. local stations here are garbage so XM is a must right now..

Hard to say if/what will work with a diesel since the unit has to be configured for the vehicle. Linkswell is the only supplier I know in the US, note the units are more expensive but from the info that is out there it is the exact same.

As far as "working flawlessly" you need to quantify that a bit, even the stock systems don't work flawlessly I can recount a few times between on my Ram and prior to that Jeep Cherokee when my 8.4 unit locked up or wouldn't respond until a restart. I wouldn't so much worry about something "bugging out" more so non responsive or sluggish response would be more like it. As in pressing and the unit being "overwhelmed" and taking a few extra seconds to respond. We tend to be a society of ZERO patience and press 100X instead of waiting; make sense?

Can the background screen be changed easily, again define easily. By default? No it appears not. You can shut off the book up screen image it seems some what easily but in order to change the background you'll either 1) need to install a different launcher (like car launcher mentioned by @61N150W OR go through the process to set a custom image (I have instructions on how to do so but haven't had any time to try yet)

MPH Temps ect ect. MPH no issue, Temps seem to work for some and for others (me) not so well. what else though are you looking to have shown? "ect ect"

XM plain and simple if you aren't willing to connect to a hotspot (or mobile phone) you won't have XM. You could probably pickup a XM player and hook it up to the auxiliary in but that seems like a massive pain in the ass, just grab a hot spot and use the xm app. If hotspot is out of the question and FM radio is a no go, fill up the unit and or some USB drives with your music of choice.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

Linkswell is the name of the US based company who deals with these. I haven't contacted them at all, but reports are their system is 3x as much as these. I haven't seen reports of any difference, but there very well may be.
The Climate control thing has been pretty well figured out. Our units came with three different presets (Low, Mid, Hi) relating to trim level. Low has the 4 speed fan setting.
The background cannot be changed with the original software, but different car launcher can be easily downloaded/installed from the play store. Most are fully customizable to better suit the diesel crowd (TAPOUT, Monster Energy, etc.) [emoji38]
Others may comment but I haven't played with the readouts much. The speed is GPS based so it's not going to match your cluster very well.
I think mdifilippo has played some with some satellite-esk radio app. Other than that, there are a ton of options if you have a music library. You can run off SD card, USB, or transfer to the internal storage.

mdifilippo types faster than I...

Preston29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys!! I think I'm going to pull the trigger instead of the 8.4 upgrade. Any GPS glitches etc. Guess would just need to download Google maps etc etc through play store

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the car launcher app lets you fully customize the background etc? Am I reading that right? Cause if so, then I have become sold again and want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk