Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I do have a question before you do all of this with that extension harness. @TatertotScott mentioned above that it won’t plug into the truck harness. If it’s like the one I received, it won’t fit either. Does the end you’re holding in your left hand look like this with the raised ridge where the yellow arrow is pointing?- dhgdLxP.jpg

Mine is the same but had no problems connecting it to the truck's harness. They did use probably the cheapest connector they could find. Retroshop used that connector on his v1 and 2015+ projector adapter harness before redesigning them. Sometimes the pins can twist slightly with that style and prevent it from connecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine is the same but had no problems connecting it to the truck's harness. They did use probably the cheapest connector they could find. Retroshop used that connector on his v1 and 2015+ projector adapter harness before redesigning them. Sometimes the pins can twist slightly with that style and prevent it from connecting

I see what you mean now. You gotta twist it pretty good and bend some pins a little- vJoSSRd.jpg

Because the key way for that raised ridge is on the opposite side of the connector- yflL2xm.jpg

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What I did in that was just file the raised part down.

I got everything hooked back and now the drivers side works fine but I keep getting a park light out message and passenger side blinker is doing the same as before.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What I did in that was just file the raised part down.

I got everything hooked back and now the drivers side works fine but I keep getting a park light out message and passenger side blinker is doing the same as before.

Double check your connections and grounds for the resistors.

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm at a loss. I added the resistors the way y'all told me to and I'm still having problems. The driver's side seemed to work fine last night, but this morning coming in to work both side gave me the error code.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If you can take a couple of pics of how you installed the resistors.

What resistors did you use?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm at a loss. I added the resistors the way y'all told me to and I'm still having problems. The driver's side seemed to work fine last night, but this morning coming in to work both side gave me the error code.
The more I think about this, the more I think it might not be a load problem (resistors), but a capacitor problem (anti flicker). The problem is being solved when those of us with the AlfaOBD change the settings in the BCM to LED front turns and parking lights. The only thing that is happening when we do that is shutting off the pulse width modulation (PWM). Quad headlight trucks use PWM on regular bulbs to rapidly turn the power on and off to the bulb so they last longer. When PWM is used on an LED, the power shut off to the LED is instantaneous as opposed to an incandescent where the filament stays lit, and while the naked eye won’t notice, it might just be at the threshold where the BCM thinks the LED actually briefly burned out. This is why you might notice the turn signal fast flash resets itself randomly when using the turns.

So, with all that being said, a pair of anti flicker harnesses *MIGHT* solve the problem, but it’s another roll of the dice. I would just get the AlfaOBD and be done with it.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The more I think about this, the more I think it might not be a load problem (resistors), but a capacitor problem (anti flicker). The problem is being solved when those of us with the AlfaOBD change the settings in the BCM to LED front turns and parking lights. The only thing that is happening when we do that is shutting off the pulse width modulation (PWM). Quad headlight trucks use PWM on regular bulbs to rapidly turn the power on and off to the bulb so they last longer. When PWM is used on an LED, the power shut off to the LED is instantaneous as opposed to an incandescent where the filament stays lit, and while the naked eye won’t notice, it might just be at the threshold where the BCM thinks the LED actually briefly burned out. This is why you might notice the turn signal fast flash resets itself randomly when using the turns.

So, with all that being said, a pair of anti flicker harnesses *MIGHT* solve the problem, but it’s another roll of the dice. I would just get the AlfaOBD and be done with it.

The anti flicker/canbus adapters did cross my mind. And that does tie into your point. You could end up spending $50 by the time you find the right combo to fool the truck.

$50 (alphaobd) $15-90 (obd2 reader) $50 (Amazon Kindle fire 7 tablet if you don't have a android or windows device) does seem like a lot to spend at once just to get some led's to work but think of alphaobd and the obd2 reader as an investment. If you add more led lighting you won't have to spend more money on resistor or anti flicker/canbus adapters, you may want to add a factory option to your truck alphaobd will save you a trip to the dealer. It's also a code reader which works on most of the modules on our trucks. I've added factory remote start, turned on fogs, changed lighting to led's, set drl's, programmed new keys, adjusted tire size. I've saved around $300 in dealer labor fees with alphaobd. It probably would be 2 or 3 times that but I have bought enough truck's from them 5 in 9 year's so they cut me a break on enabling things

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The anti flicker/canbus adapters did cross my mind. And that does tie into your point. You could end up spending $50 by the time you find the right combo to fool the truck.

$50 (alphaobd) $15-90 (obd2 reader) $50 (Amazon Kindle fire 7 tablet if you don't have a android or windows device) does seem like a lot to spend at once just to get some led's to work but think of alphaobd and the obd2 reader as an investment. If you add more led lighting you won't have to spend more money on resistor or anti flicker/canbus adapters, you may want to add a factory option to your truck alphaobd will save you a trip to the dealer. It's also a code reader which works on most of the modules on our trucks. I've added factory remote start, turned on fogs, changed lighting to led's, set drl's, programmed new keys, adjusted tire size. I've saved around $300 in dealer labor fees with alphaobd. It probably would be 2 or 3 times that but I have bought enough truck's from them 5 in 9 year's so they cut me a break on enabling things

Not to mention adding features to our trucks that even DEALERS "cant" add (i.e. Keyless Go to a Big Horn, etc)

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Jimmy, 1500ram, I'll never be able to thank you guys enough. Even with that said, can you all give me links to exactly what I need for the alphaobd. I know that seems lazy but at this point I want to make sure I get the right stuff and y'all seem like you know your stuff. I do have a an iPhone, so it sounds like the software won't work on my phone, however my work phone is an android so i could use it or I think my laptop might have bluetooth capabilities.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
In Google play store just search alphaobd or use this link

https://www.alfaobd.com/download.html

This is what I'm using, gives you the option off using the obd2 reader with iOS so if alphaobd becomes available for iPhone you won't have to get a different reader. The cheaper obd2 readers may or may not work.

OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Turns Your iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire or Windows Device into a Professional-Grade Diagnostic Scan Tool, Trip Computer, and Real-time Performance Monitor. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CxlRCbNPEPTK9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll second (or fourth or fifth lol) Alpha. This is WAY better than trying to "trick" the computer. Not to mention all the random rats nest wiring.

Alpha and the obdlink mx on amazon-hands down, the BEST thing you can buy once you start adding lights and stuff to our trucks.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The OBDLink MX is "on sale" right now at Scantool.net the supplier for $64.95 plus an additional 10% off for subscribing!

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

edit: the $64.95 I posted wasn't in error, they changed the price and added $5.00 to the price a few minutes later, lol

Last edited:

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I ordered the OBDLink just now. Tonight I'll get the alfaobd downloaded.

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
How user friendly is the alfaobd software to use? Right now I only need it for the headlights and to adjust tire size, but if I decide to DPF delete and add an exhaust later will it work for that?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
How user friendly is the alfaobd software to use? Right now I only need it for the headlights and to adjust tire size, but if I decide to DPF delete and add an exhaust later will it work for that?

It's not bad. You'll only ever really need to get into the bcm and rf hub. I can walk you through getting to the lights when you are ready. If you go to the alphaobd thread on page 1 look for my name and click on the Google drive link and I have step by step instructions with pictures on how to adjust tire size.

Unfortunately no on the deletes. It's possible that the developer if he had the right codes could add the ability to turn off dpf and egr sensors.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm at a loss. I added the resistors the way y'all told me to and I'm still having problems.
If you wired like the pic on the Amazon page, it's correct. Do not run the resistors to a sheet metal ground, use the ground wire going to the bulb.
The more I think about this, the more I think it might not be a load problem (resistors), but a capacitor problem (anti flicker).
Let me poke a hole in that theory. Adding the resistor mimicks the resistance of the normal incandescent bulb. I'm guessing it's a wiring issue.
An anti-flicker module is a capacitor arrangement to smooth out the pulsing of the PWM not only deal with the error but any glitches of the power going to the LED. Without enough current flow/voltage drop, PWM outputs do funny things.