Batterys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hebert2756

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Need a little help please. I have a 2014 3500 diesel with 2 batteries. Got in my truck and pushed the start button and it clicks and nothing. I drive this truck every day with no problem. I checked both batteries with a volt meter and both say 10.79 volts. I put a charger with a boost start and nothing. How do I determine if the batteries are bad. They are the original factory batteries. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take it to Autozone or done other auto parts place. They can test the batteries on a load to see if the AMPs are down

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are 4 years old. I’d replace them. I start watching them after they are 3 years old, I’ve seen them last 6+ years too. But to me it’s not worth the headache or getting stranded. Plus the batteries should be around 12 volts, if it’s less than that it’s not gonna be reliable.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree with above, have the batteries tested. Not likely, but it's possible something in the electrical system needs attention. Alternator ?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check your main power connection to the starter.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the batteries in and have them tested. Beings they're only showing 10.7 volts I'd say that was the problem however getting them tested will tell you if they just need recharged or if infact they are bad. Not being able to jump or boost start is not that uncommon with a dual battery setup. Most boost packs aren't capable of the required amperage needed for that situation. Make sure they test each battery individually because just one of them could be bad. If only 1 is bad JMO but if it was mine I'd go ahead and replace them both.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I agree, test them. Check for a draw when everything is off, it should be very low. My Cummins 1st set lasted 11 years 2 months and were still working when I put in my second set and they are at 7 years 8 months so 4 years seems short to me. There may be an issue with the charging system, I would have it checked.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you take it somewhere to have the batteries tested, I'd get the results and make the decision for yourself, unless you really trust the person doing the tests. Some of those clowns I've seen at some part stores wouldn't know a battery from a fuel pump---if they'll even get off their ass to go outside to check them-----Rant finished
Jay

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 3500 Diesel/Aisin Crew Dually
Engine
Diesel
I got a similar problem with my 2015 RAM 3500 diesel dually rig. Went to crank it this morning and click click click. Engine won't turn. Everything lights up like there's no problem but I had to jump start it to get it running. Got two batteries.

The truck is a little over 4 years old now with the factory batteries.

On my RAM 1500 Sport the factory battery just failed and left me stranded after about the same amount of time. No warning. Just failed.

So, I know I'm looking at a rather large bill for the replacement of both batteries.

Just wondering if there's a preferred brand and CCA rating for my truck.

What say you all?

Thanx .... Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I agree with the majority. At 4+ years I would replace the OEM factory battery. I would recommend AGM battery replacement.

My ‘14 died this past winter with no warning. One chili morning I tried to start it and nothing. I know have an AGM Platinum for this power hungry truck (IMO all vehicles with bells & whistles are power hungry). With a $50 off coupon I did in-store pick up and got the battery at Advanced Auto Parts. Better battery vs OEM, +CCA and more juice.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hay, All are your Batteries AGM batteries (absorbed glass mat) they are hard to load test and anything less than 12.75 volts is not good, see what the alternator is putting out, I would try charging the batteries and see if they hold a charge when the amps go to the less scale on the charged then start if up and check out the Alternator.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With “regular” cars and trucks, I have found that 4-5 years the average lifespan for today’s automotive batteries.

In my wife’s previous car, we put in the super Gee whiz AGM battery, and we got the exact same 4-5 year lifespan......bummer.

The AGM battery will run $190+, and Old fashioned wet cell batteries are running about $150.

I echo the previous advice - go to your local auto parts store ASAP, and have your charging system tested. If the batteries are in fact toast, invest in 2 new batteries of your choosing.

After spending 35% more on the AGM battery on my wife’s last car, and getting the same lifespan as the less expensive wet cell lead-acid battery, I would choose the less expensive old fashioned wet cell battery.

Based on my wife’s car battery dealeo, my previous truck battery up and died like 4-1/2 years or so, last year, and I went to Costco, and picked up the old fashioned wet cell Interstate brand battery for like $130. My recommendation = if you need 2 new batteries, charge up the existing ones enough to drive to your local Costco, and buy 2 new Interstate batteries.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500