Better MPG's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler__Beck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well here is my first post! I am buying a 2003 2wd Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi Laraime from my Grandpa. I have been driving the truck for the past couple months seeing as to how my other car is broken down and I'm not planning on fixing it. My question is how to get better Gas milage. I can afford the gas now but would like to get better MPG's. I am planning on putting true dual exhausts, a cold air intake and a bed cover on it. Is there a tuner that can detune the engine for better mpg's? And is it worth it? Other info: Truck has 41,000 miles, 3rd tranny (less than 20,000) on it, gets 12mpg or 15mpg if I'm lucky. Any help would be appreciated! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406926808.515400.jpg

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Give it a fresh tune up. New spark plugs, fuel filter, throw some seafoam in the gas tank to help clean your injectors & etc. (That's what I use, don't have to. There's others you can use). Once you add the exhaust & cold air intake, get a tuner with a custom tune and she should not only run stronger but see some better mileage. The diablo tuner has a mpg booster tune that's supposed to help increase mileage. Idk how well it is, I never bothered with it.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well here is my first post! I am buying a 2003 2wd dodge ram 5.7 hemi laraime from my grandpa. I have been driving the truck for the past couple months seeing as to how my other car is broken down and i'm not planning on fixing it. My question is how to get better gas milage. I can afford the gas now but would like to get better mpg's. I am planning on putting true dual exhausts, a cold air intake and a bed cover on it. Is there a tuner that can detune the engine for better mpg's? And is it worth it? Other info: Truck has 41,000 miles, 3rd tranny (less than 20,000) on it, gets 12mpg or 15mpg if i'm lucky. Any help would be appreciated! View attachment 33810
a 2003?
That is really low miles.

OP
OP
Tyler__Beck

Tyler__Beck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a 2003?
That is really low miles.

Yeah, it was used to tow our 24ft boat, it was a heavy boat thats why it has gone through 3 trannys. It just sat in a parking garage for years thats why such low milage

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, it was used to tow our 24ft boat, it was a heavy boat thats why it has gone through 3 trannys. It just sat in a parking garage for years thats why such low milage
Sweeeeeet!

Although you might get more responses in the Generation 3 section.

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recommend not doing a CAI or the exhaust. The cost of these mods will outweigh the minimal gain (if any) that the mods bring. It is obviously dependent upon your specific situation. If you drive the truck a million miles, then maybe you make your money back. Maybe. (not a real number btw).
I would buy a tuner, and call it a day. Even the tuner is on the line as far as the cost vs savings are concerned. Its a bunch of math, but it comes out being smarter to just deal with getting less mpg. A good example is that i have every possible bolt on mod and still get the same mpg i did before. (worse actually). That won't always be the case, but my point is that mods do not guarantee additional mpg. Paying for these mods absolutely = an immediately loss of money. (cost of the mod) So even if you decided to do the math, and the fact that you plan to drive the truck X amount of miles (a whole, whole bunch) shows that it would be worth X amount of money (cost of whatever mods you plan to do to gain mpg) to do the mods, there is still no guarantee that the mods will actually help you gain these mpgs. And even if the mpgs do increase, how much will they increase? 1? 2? 3? And if they actually did, then how long would it ale just to pay back the 1000s of dollars spent modding? So really you would just be gambling, hoping that the money you spent to try and save money will end up actually doing so. If you want to do modding for fun, then rock and roll. But for the sake of milage, its a no win.

Someone posted it here on a thread a while back, but i will quote them loosely here... ''The best mod for additional mpgs is a light right foot.''

Just drive smarter and get the best you can. Leave the rest in the cash register at the gas station. :)

OP
OP
Tyler__Beck

Tyler__Beck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recommend not doing a CAI or the exhaust. The cost of these mods will outweigh the minimal gain (if any) that the mods bring. It is obviously dependent upon your specific situation. If you drive the truck a million miles, then maybe you make your money back. Maybe. (not a real number btw).

I would buy a tuner, and call it a day. Even the tuner is on the line as far as the cost vs savings are concerned. Its a bunch of math, but it comes out being smarter to just deal with getting less mpg. A good example is that i have every possible bolt on mod and still get the same mpg i did before. (worse actually). That won't always be the case, but my point is that mods do not guarantee additional mpg. Paying for these mods absolutely = an immediately loss of money. (cost of the mod) So even if you decided to do the math, and the fact that you plan to drive the truck X amount of miles (a whole, whole bunch) shows that it would be worth X amount of money (cost of whatever mods you plan to do to gain mpg) to do the mods, there is still no guarantee that the mods will actually help you gain these mpgs. And even if the mpgs do increase, how much will they increase? 1? 2? 3? And if they actually did, then how long would it ale just to pay back the 1000s of dollars spent modding? So really you would just be gambling, hoping that the money you spent to try and save money will end up actually doing so. If you want to do modding for fun, then rock and roll. But for the sake of milage, its a no win.

Someone posted it here on a thread a while back, but i will quote them loosely here... ''The best mod for additional mpgs is a light right foot.''

Just drive smarter and get the best you can. Leave the rest in the cash register at the gas station. :)

I think i'll start off with a tune up and maybe a tuner and see where that gets me...

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truth is you are not going to improve milage a lot. No matter what you do. Tuners and such might make you feel good but you will not see any money saved once you figure in cost. Keep the maintenance schedule up and watch your right foot to get the best out of it. I own a. 2003 myself by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Yep as stated mods are to improve your driving experience and you may see some mileage improvement. But you'll never make your money back by modding just for improved mileage. Welcome it is always good to see a 03 join up.