Bummed out!! Truck can't tow what I need her to.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Damn it!! Bubble busted again. Lol. Was looking at the smaller 28bh and 30bh but dont like the layouts nowhere near as much. New truck is definitely not in the cards either. Love my truck and not gettin rid of it. Been looking at other bunkhouse models other than grand design and just dont like them and a lot of tgem have terrible reviews. Been at this for a long time lookin for an 5th wheel and we keep coming back to grand design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Start looking in the tent section.
Lol sorry had to

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Lmao!! I'll probably have better luck there.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Now just to throw it out there. My buddy blew the rear axle out of a 2500 CTD towing a 13K dry 40ft 5th wheel for less than a year. That's not to say it wouldn't have fried itself not towing , but he was in route to the campground when it happened & nearly crapped in his shorts too. He went to a DRW CTD and loves it.

Depending on the year it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Since around 2005 all Cummins trucks have had the 11.5 regardless of whether it is a 2500 or a 3500.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Damn it!! Bubble busted again. Lol. Was looking at the smaller 28bh and 30bh but dont like the layouts nowhere near as much. New truck is definitely not in the cards either. Love my truck and not gettin rid of it. Been looking at other bunkhouse models other than grand design and just dont like them and a lot of tgem have terrible reviews. Been at this for a long time lookin for an 5th wheel and we keep coming back to grand design.

GD's are definitely nice rigs, however, go the the GD owner forum and you will read about problems, just like other brands.

Choose wisely, grasshopper. Lol

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
GD's are definitely nice rigs, however, go the the GD owner forum and you will read about problems, just like other brands.

Darn it!! That didn't help. Lol

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Ive been to there forums and their facebook site and plenty of people on there complaining. But when comparing apples to apples, GD is far above the rest when comparing to forest river, keystone, and coachman.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Another thing to remember is people typically go onto a website to complain. Not to praise.

I would try to look for common complaints, and then see how to avoid those issues.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Im on GD's forum right now reading everything i can.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So lots of people have problems with their Keystones, but I'll say this, when have you ever moved into a house and not had a couple issues?

My Dad has a '10 Keystone Cougar and he loves it, he's had to fix a few things, but that's life.

My '17 Hideout by Keystone is a great unit, we have had a couple issues, some self induced but nothing comes without any problems or issues.

We looked at a lot of models, and it boils down to this, there are two major companies that own ALL the brands of RV's. So they are all about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Won't argue that point at all. We really need a bunkhouse model 5th but just a tad lighter with enough space for all of us. Thats the issue. Not a ton of bunkhouse choices compared to a 5th wheel designed for 2 people having a crap ton of room. Lol

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Won't argue that point at all. We really need a bunkhouse model 5th but just a tad lighter with enough space for all of us. Thats the issue. Not a ton of bunkhouse choices compared to a 5th wheel designed for 2 people having a crap ton of room. Lol

You're correct on there being a ton a couples models out there. My wife and I choose a keystone Laredo with a rear living floor plan. But it's just us and the dogs.

Had a couple small issue with our 5er, but nothing major.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Have you looked at you haulers??? A buddy of mine bought a toy hauler then modified the back as a bunk house. Since he had no need for a toy hauler.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have you looked at you haulers??? A buddy of mine bought a toy hauler then modified the back as a bunk house. Since he had no need for a toy hauler.

A friend of mine did something similar. He has a 25-ish foot TT that's a toy hauler. The toy room is perfect for hauling bikes and camping crap, and gives his kids a great place to crash. Lots of versatility that I never realized existed as I've never needed a toy hauler for the traditional "toys".

I was in similar need as the OP and went with a 308bhds from Keystone. Awesome space for the kids, outdoor kitchen and a 1/2 bath for mom and dad. Only real concession is the lack of a slide in the bedroom but that's offset by the 1/2 bath IMO. All at a dry weight of 9K! It makes me wonder what isn't in the thing for it to weigh so little and be 35' long.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins

Looked at a couple. Never tbought about modifying it though. Possibly put a partition wall up in the back for the kids in the middle and turn it into 2 seperate rooms ( kind of/ not completely) lol.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Very true they all have issues. I've had a couple of minor ones that I fixed myself and one at that dealer (but could have fixed myself). Most issues are gonna be with the Lippert (LCI) junk or the appliances which are all covered under the individual 90-day or 1-yr manufacturer warranties.

And all makes will produce a lemon or 2. But the GD's at least haves s 3-yr structural warranty for slide & frame issues.

440hsp check out the GD 357bhs if they still make it. I believe it was around 10.5K dry. I'd have gone that route if I knew I'd end up with a CTD.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Very true they all have issues. I've had a couple of minor ones that I fixed myself and one at that dealer (but could have fixed myself). Most issues are gonna be with the Lippert (LCI) junk or the appliances which are all covered under the individual 90-day or 1-yr manufacturer warranties.

And all makes will produce a lemon or 2. But the GD's at least haves s 3-yr structural warranty for slide & frame issues.

440hsp check out the GD 357bhs if they still make it. I believe it was around 10.5K dry. I'd have gone that route if I knew I'd end up with a CTD.
Will do buddy. Been checking out mud bunk 5th wheels now in different manufacturers like jayco but a lit of them stay around the same length and weight. Gotta really pick through the bunch to find a good one.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
357 is a no go. 41ft long and dry weight is over 12k. GVWR is almost 15k.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Does anybody have any thoughts on Jayco? Found a lighter weight Eagle HT 30.5MBOK that looks really nice. Weight and length looks about right also.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does anybody have any thoughts on Jayco? Found a lighter weight Eagle HT 30.5MBOK that looks really nice. Weight and length looks about right also.

Just took a look, that looks nice. I was about 20 minutes from getting a Jayco vs my Keystone, but wife was finally decision.