Bummed out!! Truck can't tow what I need her to.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
That thing looks like it might fit us perfect. Just a little leary about build quality. But as the fellas have said on here, you're gonna get that with all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Jaco was recently purchased by Thor. They own a ton ot RV manufacturers, including keystone.

I do believe Jaco Still has there 2 yr warranty though.
I fully believe your dealer has to be there for you after the sale. If your dealer sucks, any warranty issues may not be pleasing.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Jaco was recently purchased by Thor. They own a ton ot RV manufacturers, including keystone.

I do believe Jaco Still has there 2 yr warranty though.
I fully believe your dealer has to be there for you after the sale. If your dealer sucks, any warranty issues may not be pleasing.
Yeah, that's why i keep going back to GD. People on thier forums love them.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've always considered Jayco to be at the top of the "big 3" - Forest River, Keystone, Jayco. Of course, every RV at that price point is a total roll of the dice.

Grand Design does seem to be catching on over the last couple years. I think the story is a few guys from other companies (Keystone being one of them) got together and started GD. Their customer service and quality seems to be a tick above the big 3. Lord knows there's room for improvement in the industry.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I've always considered Jayco to be at the top of the "big 3" - Forest River, Keystone, Jayco. Of course, every RV at that price point is a total roll of the dice.

Grand Design does seem to be catching on over the last couple years. I think the story is a few guys from other companies (Keystone being one of them) got together and started GD. Their customer service and quality seems to be a tick above the big 3. Lord knows there's room for improvement in the industry.
That's the main reason I've been looking at them. " Most " of thier customers like thier service but not all.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that having a 3500 srw and wanting it for load is almost a waste as the tires are only capable of carrying what a 2500 will haul. But a question, does anyone know if a 18" tire is available in an F or G load rating for these trucks? So far, I haven't been able to find one. Even on my 2500, I would consider having a higher load rated tire if it was available as I tow up to or slightly over the max tire load capabilities.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that having a 3500 srw and wanting it for load is almost a waste as the tires are only capable of carrying what a 2500 will haul. But a question, does anyone know if a 18" tire is available in an F or G load rating for these trucks? So far, I haven't been able to find one. Even on my 2500, I would consider having a higher load rated tire if it was available as I tow up to or slightly over the max tire load capabilities.
What kind of loads are you running? One stock tire holds 3640 pounds, so 7280 between 2 rear tires. If I remember right the rear axle is only rated to 6600 pounds.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I run 285/75r18 Toyo MT. 80PSI = 4080LBS PER TIRE.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Pretty sure the 3500 SRW comes with the same exact Firestone Transforce tires as the 2500. In fact, using the the MFG door sticker recommended tire pressures for my 2500 60/80 puts the total load carrying over a ton over my 10k GVWR.

The Frame and the 11.5" AAM rear axle is also the same axle 2500 vs 3500 (including most duallys). Brakes are the same 2500 vs 3500 too (Hydroboost, excluding Power Wagon).

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I run 285/75r18 Toyo MT. 80PSI = 4080LBS PER TIRE.
I'll be running the Toyo Open Country RT in the same size. Would I run the same PSI?

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a few thoughts about different "manufacturers". None of them manufacture anything really. Only a few different makers of components such as refrigerators, a/c, oven/stove, microwave, ect..... some do have better insulation and construction of walls and roofs and layouts. Some have more lights and shiny stuff to make them "look" better. Grand Design is a good "maufacturer" but so is keystone...have you looked at their Montana models? Super nice and very well built. How about Augusta RV? Redwood? Mobile suites? I think they are truly top of the line....although heavy so not a big help to you. Find the floor plan you want and go with it. If you buy new most will come with an extended warranty just like buying a new truck for not much money....in fact mine came with a Lifetime structural warranty as long as i get the hubs repacked and a/c inspected and something else "Can't remember" done every year...to the tune of about $250.00 a year....but it's stuff I would do anyway. Just some food for thought! Good luck!

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be running the Toyo Open Country RT in the same size. Would I run the same PSI?

I run 80 rear 60 front when towing unloaded I run 50 front 45 rear and they wear great....same specs on both tires MT VS. RT. so I would run them at max when towing 80 rear 60 front

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Swampfox I was waiting for you to chime in on that. I've looked at Keystone Jayco especially the Montana models but every one of them for a bunk house or just way too big and way too heavy and way too expensive. LOL

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the Cougar 336bhs...pretty sure it would work weight wise...i have a 337fls it basically the same 5th wheel as mine but different floorplan

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I'll check it out. Thanks

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check out the Cougar 336bhs...pretty sure it would work weight wise...i have a 337fls it basically the same 5th wheel as mine but different floorplan

The 336bhs is an AMAZING floor plan. I labored extensively before finally realizing this was just too much RV for my gasser.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
You have lots of sage advice so far so I'll just put in my opinion. Since you have two kids and dogs the BH models seem to fit your needs the best. THe 311BHS looks perfect as far as floor plan goes. With the half bath and two kids that makes it extra nice.

Here are my thoughts on the over weight / not over weight issue. Normally i am a firm believer in keeping all weights within the MFG specs for liability reasons. However, keeping in mind that you wil be full timing, you cant get a bigger truck and the bunkhouse 5er you want seems to if the bill real well, I say get it.

When you are full timing will you be picking up and traveling as much as you would if you were on a month vacation trying to see many different sights in a short amount of time. Do you think you will be spending longer periods of time on each place thus not driving as much at or above your capacities? My point is you may not be putting in thousands of miles per month with the trailer. With this you may be able to push your comfort limits a hair to make your life and your families life more comfortable.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
You have lots of sage advice so far so I'll just put in my opinion. Since you have two kids and dogs the BH models seem to fit your needs the best. THe 311BHS looks perfect as far as floor plan goes. With the half bath and two kids that makes it extra nice.

Here are my thoughts on the over weight / not over weight issue. Normally i am a firm believer in keeping all weights within the MFG specs for liability reasons. However, keeping in mind that you wil be full timing, you cant get a bigger truck and the bunkhouse 5er you want seems to if the bill real well, I say get it.

When you are full timing will you be picking up and traveling as much as you would if you were on a month vacation trying to see many different sights in a short amount of time. Do you think you will be spending longer periods of time on each place thus not driving as much at or above your capacities? My point is you may not be putting in thousands of miles per month with the trailer. With this you may be able to push your comfort limits a hair to make your life and your families life more comfortable.
We plan on staying in one area for atleast, if not more than a week or 2 at a time and just use my truck to get around and see everything. That was the point of us not being in a hurry and enjoying what this great country has to offer.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We plan on staying in one area for atleast, if not more than a week or 2 at a time and just use my truck to get around and see everything. That was the point of us not being in a hurry and enjoying what this great country has to offer.

We typically do monthly stays, most campgrounds have attractive monthly rates. Average is around $600 and some charge for electricity where others include it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357