CAI worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a 2012 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 and was wondering if a CAI is worth the money. And if so which one should I get? I'm about to throw on a glasspack when I get home after finals and drop the back 2 inches to level it with the front and was wondering if I outta get a CAI while I'm making the mods. Thanks.

P.S. I'm not looking to invest in your standard K&N, if I do get one I want a noticeable difference.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You're not going to get a notice cable difference with a CAI on a stock engine. You may gain something but it's going to be small enough you won't notice. Personally I put one on because to me they sound better when you can hear more intake noise, gives it a throatier noise.

I have the S&B intake, I would recommend it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
A CAI is one of the easiest DIY mods you can do. That being said, open top CAIs are noise makers and little else (K&N AFE, AIRAID etc). The open top does not seal well so you don't suck cold air and the open enclosure gives you mind numbing throttle noise at WOT. I had a K&N in a 4.7L Durango and it about shook the fillings out of my teeth climbing hills. Couldn't have a conversation or listen to music.

Vararam and S&B pretty much solve the throttle noise issue and still give a cold air bonus.

But the CAI haters will stumble along shortly no doubt to add their two cents.

Last edited:

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got a 2012 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 and was wondering if a CAI is worth the money. And if so which one should I get? I'm about to throw on a glasspack when I get home after finals and drop the back 2 inches to level it with the front and was wondering if I outta get a CAI while I'm making the mods. Thanks.

P.S. I'm not looking to invest in your standard K&N, if I do get one I want a noticeable difference.

Vararam will give you the most HP of any intake system if performance is what you're after.

To answer your question though, it's probably not worth the $ unless you're planning to add a tuner. Unless you're just after look and sound.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like said above, both the S&B and Vararam intakes will show gains, but you will get much more for your money with a tuner. I would get the tuner first, and then start working on your supporting airflow mods.

R/Tsyndicate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got an AEM brute force on mine and love it. Its an open filter but ive felt that it gives u a nice a aggressive tone at WOT and i can actually say that i have felt a difference in throttle response. Wouldnt know how much hp ive gained until i dyno it but im happy with it.

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got an AEM brute force on mine and love it. Its an open filter but ive felt that it gives u a nice a aggressive tone at WOT and i can actually say that i have felt a difference in throttle response. Wouldnt know how much hp ive gained until i dyno it but im happy with it.

+1

I have a K&N and love it. Sounds great under WOT but not loud otherwise. I doubt I'll even get a cat back now. And throttle resonse has improved.

R/Tsyndicate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
+1

I have a K&N and love it. Sounds great under WOT but not loud otherwise. I doubt I'll even get a cat back now. And throttle resonse has improved.

I got a magnaflow so it adds to the sound at WOT. Next mod is tuner but im still undecided on which one lol in the mean time ill save some money in order to buy more upgrades along eith the tuber when im ready.