Catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is an idea I've been kicking around. So I jumped in this weekend I will keep you posted how it works.uploadfromtaptalk1401643798387.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401643798387.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401643848160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401643848160.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 338

axemann030773

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hhhhhmmmm very interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Can you tell me why you connected your internal PCV valve to the crank case fresh air make up line? You no longer have ANY clean air going into your crankcase, which is a bad thing. Instead of flowing fresh air into the crankcase to replace the air pulled out by the PCV you're now creating a vacuum in the crankcase which will pull more blow-by gasses past the rings. If you've tapped into the top of the PCV then you're also pulling full vacuum from the intake manifold and it's not being regulated by the PCV valve. You have also created a bypass route for regulated air past your throttlebody.

OP
OP
I

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both lines I have connected my catch can to had vaccum and sucked air to the intake....so I'm not sure what you're talking about with the fresh air line....if this was a fresh air line why did I have oil in it? It seems to me they are both vints....all the air paasses thru my throttle body so I'm not sure where the none regulated air you speak of is coming from....have you seem the scamatic of how our intake is designed?

OP
OP
I

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If what you say is true, then I can just put a cheap cloth filter on the oil cap and a ninety on the pcv hose and be fine.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Both lines I have connected my catch can to had vaccum and sucked air to the intake....so I'm not sure what you're talking about with the fresh air line....if this was a fresh air line why did I have oil in it? It seems to me they are both vints....all the air paasses thru my throttle body so I'm not sure where the none regulated air you speak of is coming from....have you seem the scamatic of how our intake is designed?

I wonder how long it will be before you start blowing seals. The hose that connects to your oil filler tube is for fresh air to be drawn into the engine. You will find oil in that hose because the air can temporarily back up when the PCV valve closes. This extra oil can be pulled into the fresh air duct and enter the engine thru the throttle body. In the photo you can see the filter I placed in my fresh air hose.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
I

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah I was askin.... If I do like you did is the problem fixed

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If what you say is true, then I can just put a cheap cloth filter on the oil cap and a ninety on the pcv hose and be fine.

Adding a filter on the oil cap removes the vapour from entering the intake tube which is fine and will at least keep the crank case at atmospheric pressure. Keeping the line from the intake tube to the PCV is a bad thing as you've kept the hose that now bypasses the throttle body and it will act the same as a vacuum leak, and it won't be catching any oil vapour because the PCV valve will still dump crankcase gasses into the intake manifold. The reason it won't catch any oil is because the PCV valve at that point in the intake manifold has a higher vacuum than the point on the intake tube so the path of air travel is from the intake tube to the PCV valve with the setup you have right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would agree with you about the pcv causing a vacuum if I had not modified the valve and blocked the manifold path... The only vacuum going to the pvc is from the intake....I find it curious no one offers suggestions on how to make it better. This site should be about team work and helping each other. Just my pov

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
How did you block the manifold path? I'm curious about that since you didn't mention it earlier and that would definitely change the flow path and make this viable.

Having done this I thought you'd already had a look for the few threads about adding a catch can to the 3rd gen, my bad. What we've done in the past is block the oem PCV valve entirely then run an external PCV valve in one of the valve covers and pull vacuum from a tee in the brake booster hose because it's pulling manifold vacuum, not the low intake tube vacuum.

Knowing how you've rerouted the air path now I don't see why this wouldn't work when coupled with the breather filter on the FAMU line. I would just potentially pull from a manifold vacuum source so what vapour that does get through will not coat the throttle body.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

indy05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First I took the pcv apart by taking the bottom plug out. Then the plunger and spring come out, the copper tubing runs the length of the pcv body. I jb welded the intake inlet up on the pcv. Then bored out the tubing for the spring and plunger, and pinned the spring in place.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
That's a great way to do it actually; doesn't require the valve covers to be drilled and keeps stock PCV control. I really like this method now that I know the intake manifold vacuum is isolated.