Cold Air Intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

berry67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trying decided with CAI to get I've bin looking at k&n and AFE power any suggestions from anyone would help a lot thanks

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Vararam will get you the best power gains, and S&B is going to give the best overall fit/finish. K&N and AFE are going to make a lot of noise, but not show much of a power increase.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I think the vararam has excellent fit and finish....just throwing my .02 cents in lol. MOES!!!

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My vote is S&B as that's the one I'm going with. I like the way it looks

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run the K&N. personally they all do the same thing it's all comes down to what you like.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I run the K&N. personally they all do the same thing it's all comes down to what you like.

They are very different from each other. Some pull air from the fender, some from behind the headlight, some from the grille. Some have enclosed air boxes to keep heat out, where others use a heat shield that partially keeps heat out. Some have metal intake tubes that absorb heat, and others use plastic or carbon fiber tubing to repel heat. Not all intakes are created equal.

OP
OP
berry67

berry67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Now the website for vararam says 30/30 for hp and torque is that true?

OP
OP
berry67

berry67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Vararam will get you the best power gains, and S&B is going to give the best overall fit/finish. K&N and AFE are going to make a lot of noise, but not show much of a power increase.

Website for vararam says it put outs 30/30 hp and torque is that close?

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to hi jack but do you have to remove the wheel liner to install the S&B? Someone told me it's a pain to install

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Website for vararam says it put outs 30/30 hp and torque is that close?

On the dyno, I've seen it make 16-18hp. It's a ram air kit though, so the faster you drive, the more power it will make.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Not to hi jack but do you have to remove the wheel liner to install the S&B? Someone told me it's a pain to install

Yes, you have to drop the fender liner in order to access the bolts that secure the lower factory airbox mount to the frame. Pulling the liner is very easy though.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
We had an ice/snow storm here not long ago where, if I had had the Vararam, there would have been snow/ice up in the intake. It was the perfect example of why I personally chose not to go that route, and instead went with the S&B.

A close second, and the one I used to love, was the Volant. However, I heard their fit and finish wasn't quite as good, and they are a little more expensive. I do not regret my S&B, it is everything that it was said to be. The gains aren't earth shattering, but you can definitely feel that the acceleration improved a little. It isn't as loud as a K&N or some of the other "open element" intakes, which I was never a fan of, so I am happy about that.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
We had an ice/snow storm here not long ago where, if I had had the Vararam, there would have been snow/ice up in the intake. It was the perfect example of why I personally chose not to go that route, and instead went with the S&B.

A close second, and the one I used to love, was the Volant. However, I heard their fit and finish wasn't quite as good, and they are a little more expensive. I do not regret my S&B, it is everything that it was said to be. The gains aren't earth shattering, but you can definitely feel that the acceleration improved a little. It isn't as loud as a K&N or some of the other "open element" intakes, which I was never a fan of, so I am happy about that.
I live in buffalo ny, and get heavy snow regularly. My truck is a '16 bighorn 1500. I drive in the inclement weather constantly....not a single bit of snow even close to the filter element. In my humble opinion, i feel this snow thing is inaccurate. Ive seen the pictures, so save it... I'd be willing to bet that those individuals either dont have the active shutters, or have removed and deleted them. AGAIN!!!...just my opinion.

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If I ever felt a want for cold air intake though I doubt I would ever truly Need one. I would definitely go with the Volant CAI.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 64

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dropping the inner fender for the S&B wasn't bad. Had trouble with the first Plastic Christmas tree plug retainer things. There are 3. Save yourself the trouble and just cut them off, the use the 3 new ones S&B supplies. Also, you don't have to completely remove the liner, I just rested it on the wheel so that I didn't have to undo the plug that mounts to it.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropping the inner fender for the S&B wasn't bad. Had trouble with the first Plastic Christmas tree plug retainer things. There are 3. Save yourself the trouble and just cut them off, the use the 3 new ones S&B supplies. Also, you don't have to completely remove the liner, I just rested it on the wheel so that I didn't have to undo the plug that mounts to it.

Thanks for the advice