Considering a 2013 1500 Sport - advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all.

I've never owned a domestic vehicle before (last four cars were/are BMWs and Mercedes'), so I'm a bit wary of this potential purchase and am looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a full-size truck that can comfortably take two large dogs (German Shepherds) in the back seats, while also having enough room to haul my gear for camping or what not. The RAM 1500 Sport seems to fit the bill nicely. Found a local one with 44k km (27k miles) which I'm about to look at. I've driven the 2015, loved the ride, and expect this one to be much the same.

What are some of the common issues that come up on these trucks? Anything to be wary of? This model is a 5.7 V8, with an 8-speed tranny, crew cab, very well loaded.

My other option is a 2013 Tacoma TRD, but I'm not a huge fan of its small (and dated) interior.

I've read plenty of horrible 'consumer reviews' about the RAM, but I realize that people are much more likely to go online to complain than to praise, so I'm hoping for some proper, real world feedback from long-term owners (preferably of the 2013 model, but all are obviously welcome).

Cheers!

stungeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8-Speed was available on a 2013? I thought it was introduced in 2014...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 8-Speed was available on a 2013? I thought it was introduced in 2014...
Nope 2013...the only difference I can think of is the addition of power locking tailgate/Ramboxes and paint colors.

To the OP, the only thing I can think of to look for on a test drive is the transmission clunk coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop. It will feel like someone just tapped your bumper with theirs from behind.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kerunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't feel any transmission issues in the trucks I've driven so far, so I guess that's good news. My main concern is how the interior and other items in Chrystler's new "quality push" (of last few years) will hold up long term. I'd hate to spend $40k on a truck and start getting rattles and other issues in a year.

And what's with the paint? From the 10 or so trucks I've looked at, pretty much every single one had paint chips on the thin edges of doors (when doors are open) and other locations. Tons of small chips everywhere. :(

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think 2013 was the first year for the Ram to see the 8-speed transmission, but it was only available in the upper-trim models (Sport, Laramie, Longhorn, Limited).

I just got my truck with the 8-speed on Thursday, and have noticed the downshift clunk while stopping. It doesn't make any noise, you just feel it. It's not harsh and doesn't bother me. But I've also read that as the transmission learns, this may go away. So if you are just looking at used trucks, that may be why you haven't experienced it.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My clunk disappeared around 2500 miles...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Didn't feel any transmission issues in the trucks I've driven so far, so I guess that's good news. My main concern is how the interior and other items in Chrystler's new "quality push" (of last few years) will hold up long term. I'd hate to spend $40k on a truck and start getting rattles and other issues in a year.

And what's with the paint? From the 10 or so trucks I've looked at, pretty much every single one had paint chips on the thin edges of doors (when doors are open) and other locations. Tons of small chips everywhere. :(

$40k?? My Laramie was less than that OTD brand new. If I were you I would look at a new truck and see what kind of deal/incentives you could get compared to used. I also would be slightly leery of getting a truck with such a young/new tranny. The 2015's may have more bugs worked out, who knows. The paint on mine is pretty good, just a few areas of nubs or swirl/odd paint spots but generally pretty good.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think 2013 was the first year for the Ram to see the 8-speed transmission, but it was only available in the upper-trim models (Sport, Laramie, Longhorn, Limited).

I just got my truck with the 8-speed on Thursday, and have noticed the downshift clunk while stopping. It doesn't make any noise, you just feel it. It's not harsh and doesn't bother me. But I've also read that as the transmission learns, this may go away. So if you are just looking at used trucks, that may be why you haven't experienced it.
It was the second half of the year that the 8 speed was availabl with the hemi. And it was available on the big horn also. It was standard with the v6.

OP
OP
K

kerunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately new trucks are even more expensive. I'm sure prices/incentives vary by regions - I'm in Vancouver, Canada. I was at a new RAM dealer and a 2015 Laramie was about $61,000 after a $8500 rebate. 2015 Sport was about $10k cheaper.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW here in the states sports CC start on sale about 36kusd (45.8k cad) thats for new. most dealers near me discount the ram 10-14k(usd)

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Unfortunately new trucks are even more expensive. I'm sure prices/incentives vary by regions - I'm in Vancouver, Canada. I was at a new RAM dealer and a 2015 Laramie was about $61,000 after a $8500 rebate. 2015 Sport was about $10k cheaper.
Honestly I couldn't be happier with my Ram. I've had 2 4th Gen rams, and my dad had 1. All have been amazing trucks. As far as interior quality they've been great, no complaints at all!

Compared to a Toyota, well you can't compare, the Ram is far different and IMO the much better choice. Especially with the 8 speed hemi.

Vancouver you say? Shop around man, there are always dealers who will be cheaper. I'm in ontario and bought a new Longhorn loaded up for 52K OTD. That was 46K before taxes. A Laramie was 41 or 42K new at the time and a sport was 39-40k. You could always fly out here and drive one home lol. Would make for a great road trip and you've save a kit of money, and have a new truck!

You could also go to alberta to buy it. Their pricing isn't much different than ours in ON, but then you pay less tax.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kerunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I couldn't be happier with my Ram. I've had 2 4th Gen rams, and my dad had 1. All have been amazing trucks. As far as interior quality they've been great, no complaints at all!

Compared to a Toyota, well you can't compare, the Ram is far different and IMO the much better choice. Especially with the 8 speed hemi.

Vancouver you say? Shop around man, there are always dealers who will be cheaper. I'm in ontario and bought a new Longhorn loaded up for 52K OTD. That was 46K before taxes. A Laramie was 41 or 42K new at the time and a sport was 39-40k. You could always fly out here and drive one home lol. Would make for a great road trip and you've save a kit of money, and have a new truck!

You could also go to alberta to buy it. Their pricing isn't much different than ours in ON, but then you pay less tax.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Good stuff.

Taxes are paid in the province you register, so buying in a different province wouldn't save me anything on the taxes. But if a truck is cheaper enough, I could definitely fly & drive.

rob2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in the same boat as you, past cars were Mercedes and BMWs with the last one being a 535i which I traded in for my current 14' Sport. Only thing I miss about them is obviously how they drive, but for the size and weight of these trucks, they are awesome. I don't think you will be disappointed, that is until you need service ha! Dealers are joke and you are garbage to them, compared to the BMW/Benz dealers that is.