Converting to a trx hood and with air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rybo917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i have a 2019 ram 1500 limited. Can i buy a trx hood or similar, have it painted and connect it to my air intake with some kind of kit? Any info or anyone try this? I hate the stock limited hood

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think it’s “wider”. The actual shape is what’s different. The truck itself is wider due to the wide body but the cab and everything should be the same size. The hood would probably bolt up but the lines would not match. Maybe look to see if there are imitation trx hoods. Would probably be a better idea if that exists

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah it definitely won't bolt on. There is a thread on another forum where someone bought a TRX hood and found out the hard way it wouldn't work without a lot of fabrication.

Edit: Actually, it's a thread in this forum...

Last edited:

Fuelie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The front lip is different. Look at a pic of a TRX and then a Limited. One has a notch the other doesn't.
Tom

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What about the Sport Hood? That will bolt on and line up looks way better than the stock one IMO.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
If mostly looking for the forced RAM Air Intake benefits, just do the DIY Intake mod.

Go buy this, for $20.

3623-plus-2018-jpg.504755

Place a scoop, on the left side of the radiator on the radiator support.

If wanting it look PURTY, buy this for $37

3620-jpg.504754

Or, just buy this for $15 and paint it black

08919416.jpg

Go buy this 3 inch floor drain collar. $4 or so.

00660128.jpg

use a dremmel tool to remove all the inside lattices.

Place the collar in a 3 inch hole you drill in the bottom of the cold air intake.
End up looking like this

cai04-jpg-jpg.504819

Couple of hose clamps and now you got true forced ram air intake for under $50.

cai05-jpg-jpg.504820

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
cai04-jpg-jpg.jpg

Couple of hose clamps and now you got true forced ram air intake for under $50.
It would be interesting to see if this mod even raises the pressure under the filter in the airbox. One would need a fairly sensitive manometer to measure pressure change in the sub in/wc range (0.001 in/wc).
Nothing is done to prevent any pressure from the "ram air mod" from going out the stock opening in the airbox.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Are there any documented performance gains for ram air on a RAM? I looked into it long ago for another application and unless you were getting into above-legal speeds there was no measurable increase.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do not waste your money unless U plan on doing more than just an air cleaner mod: Like tuning, re cam, maybe change over to non-MDS,, throttle body, whipple. The vraams supposed to do something, just not something I would do, being an old Chevy guy that back in the day did the whole put air cleaner top upside down on Rochester 4 barrels for Noise and maybe a lil more push, lol. They did sound kewl tho. ALL IMHO...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
It would be interesting to see if this mod even raises the pressure under the filter in the airbox. One would need a fairly sensitive manometer to measure pressure change in the sub in/wc range (0.001 in/wc).
Nothing is done to prevent any pressure from the "ram air mod" from going out the stock opening in the airbox.
Do not think it is the pressure that is the greatest benefit and doubt if pressure raises it much, if at all.

My own thinking is an increase in air flow volume, under tachometer red line conditions, when engine is grasping for all the air it can get.
Then, while pressure might remain relatively the same, the flow should be greatly increaed.

Akin to having a bigger straw in your cup.

I did the Mod on my 2014, took a a nap.
Wife woke me up with, You know that Thingy you did to your truck? It really made a difference.
I just blew up the interstate on ramp and passed people with no problems. You truck really takes off, now.

She is a Sunday School teaching Grandma, who is used to her twin turbo charged, Explorer ST, rate of acceleration.
Normally drives like a old Lady until she wants to merge or pas, then it Mario Andretti Time.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My snorkel doesn’t even make any noticeable differences. I haven’t used any air measurement devices besides just reading the engine computer. It’s a “forced air intake” but unless I’m going over 100 mph there is very minutely any positive pressure going to the air filter. If you removed the stock air elbow and did the forced air directly into there it would be more efficient than drilling a hole into the bottom because you would be making positive air pressure to the filter. The stock elbow is not such a large restriction but making positive pressure to the air box would actually help by reducing how much the engine has to work to pull air through the filter. That would increase the efficiency of the engines intake stroke and if you’re lucky would help get more air density into the cylinder. Like I said though you would need to be around 100 mph and up to actually have enough airflow to create enough positive pressure to make a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpeg
    IMG_1738.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My own thinking is an increase in air flow volume, under tachometer red line conditions, when engine is grasping for all the air it can get.
Then, while pressure might remain relatively the same, the flow should be greatly increaed.
It's probably on equivalent of changing the airbox lower over to one from an EcoDiesel as per this mod:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do not think it is the pressure that is the greatest benefit and doubt if pressure raises it much, if at all.
To be fair, it's not really a matter of an increase in pressure (which implies a positive number, i.e. forced induction), rather a reduction in vacuum.

A reduction in vacuum is analogous to a reduction in restriction, hence potentially higher airflow.

The question is whether or how much difference that makes. I say no discernible difference on a street driven vehicle unless maybe if you go to extremes, such as putting a 3" high by air-dam-width scoop on and plumb it with a streamlined course to the airbox.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The stock set-up does have more internal vaccumn then i thought it would have. I have a 3" duct from the lower valence plumbed into the side of my airbox,and one time for $h!t's and giggles on the dyno,i decided to put a balled up rag up against the added opening,and as soon as the truck went WOT on the dyno,it sucked the rag right into the airbox easily.By no stretch will it add a positive pressure into the airbox even at a 100mph,but it does reduce the internal vacumn in the box. The Hellcat Challengersl use a headlight duct that feeds air from the inner headlight into their airbox,it's a pretty common mod on the naturally aspirated 5.7 and 6.4 Challengers to add the lower Hellcat airbox and the headlight duct,whether it adds anything for power who knows,but it's also not gonna reduce power either