Coolant mixture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotchult

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is there a block drain on the 5.7? If so, where?

Lousy illustration, but it's all I have. There should be 2, 1 on each side. One side on my F150 was buried under the starter, so I didn't worry about that one.

Attachments

• Ram Block1024_1.jpg
    Ram Block1024_1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Ram Plug.JPG
    Ram Plug.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 6

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

also, I'm planning to do a coolant x-change on mine soon. the dealer says my 2014 takes the purple G40 coolant but it's the orange type in it now. was there TSB for this change for a 2014?
TIA
There is two bolts, one on each side, you will see the juice isnt worth the squeeze on the drivers side. If I was you I'd stick with mopar oat 10 year, this is just for verification, don't use dex cool or dex clones, no reason for it. You can see chrysler went full oat in 2014, which means purple, orange was 2013 and below and was hoat. When the purple dissipates overtime, the coolant can still look orange, don't let that fool you, it is purple oat. Stick with purple oat you can't go wrong. venture out, maybe it will work maybe not. The only thing I would try would be a universal, those are fairly safe see coolant thread for more info, but best practise stay with oem purp.

FnRQ5vi.png

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

also, I'm planning to do a coolant x-change on mine soon. the dealer says my 2014 takes the purple G40 coolant but it's the orange type in it now. was there TSB for this change for a 2014?
TIA
My self I no longer go by the Color of the coolant, I learned long a go to read the label to be sure what type of coolant I was buying, on my current truck if the label does not say OAT or is some type universal type OAT stuff I will not buy or use it. A few months back was out of town in need of coolant ( a Saturday evening) for my 22 Auto zone tried to sell me some orange Dexclool crap telling me it was compatible with the OAT coolant my 22, had to tell them no way would I use that junk in any FCA vehicle, they said but the computer said it was okay to use o_O they had no idea of why I said no...

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya and agree ...all realitive.....but its friggin hot and all you can do is complain and move on....majority of us aint gonna die but just sucks...
I havent changed my fluids in quite some time..when it hits 98 area my temps hit about 206 at 75mph...nothing to worry about so i dont...lol
Just let it ride and eventually seasons change and you move on...
My 2 cents

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My self I no longer go by the Color of the coolant, I learned long a go to read the label to be sure what type of coolant I was buying, on my current truck if the label does not say OAT or is some type universal type OAT stuff I will not buy or use it. A few months back was out of town in need of coolant ( a Saturday evening) for my 22 Auto zone tried to sell me some orange Dexclool crap telling me it was compatible with the OAT coolant my 22, had to tell them no way would I use that junk in any FCA vehicle, they said but the computer said it was okay to use o_O they had no idea of why I said no...
Not trying to convince you of anything, but there is some good info in this thread. Some universal coolants are just oat base, which makes them a good choice, except the second you use one, you lose the color factor as they tend to not be oem colors. Purple oem chrysler 10 year is one of the best if not the best coolant around, so I agree, stay with that, but there are good alternatives as well.

jh90731

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express 4x4 RegCab
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is two bolts, one on each side, you will see the juice isnt worth the squeeze on the drivers side. If I was you I'd stick with mopar oat 10 year, this is just for verification, don't use dex cool or dex clones, no reason for it. You can see chrysler went full oat in 2014, which means purple, orange was 2013 and below and was hoat. When the purple dissipates overtime, the coolant can still look orange, don't let that fool you, it is purple oat. Stick with purple oat you can't go wrong. venture out, maybe it will work maybe not. The only thing I would try would be a universal, those are fairly safe see coolant thread for more info, but best practise stay with oem purp.

View attachment 524423
based on this chart, my 2014 should use the Dex-Cool. Are you suggesting I should use the G-40?

what's not on this chart is what in my understanding from the dealer the purple g-30 is what's recommended. https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/zerex-g30-antifreeze-coolant/

Not trying to make this more complicated than it is, just want to make sure I don't run into any corrosion issues down the road from the wrong type. TIA!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
based on this chart, my 2014 should use the Dex-Cool. Are you suggesting I should use the G-40?

what's not on this chart is what in my understanding from the dealer the purple g-30 is what's recommended. https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/zerex-g30-antifreeze-coolant/

Not trying to make this more complicated than it is, just want to make sure I don't run into any corrosion issues down the road from the wrong type. TIA!
The chart was just to show they went to oat in 2014, that's it. I only suggest the right oem coolant for the year, I use hoat because I'm 2010. The only acceptable alternative imo is the universal or lifetime non dex cool coolants, those are listed in the which coolant thread. If for some reason you don't want to use purple oem, you really should read the which coolant thread, and imo never use dex. We looked up all of the additives and base coolants in the coolants in this thread, so you know which coolants are dex free. Peak Global life is a good choice, but there are others, look up which coolant you are interested in and read the safety data sheets, because coolants are poisen, they have to list everything. Peak Global Life is just base coolant, which is actually a good thing once oem coolants populate the surfaces.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mopar Oat sds

peak global life sds

The bottom lines are just embitterment required so people dont drink it, almost identical other then that. PGL puts more base because they don't have to treat bare metal, oem needs to protect metal from day one, that is why the additive is a little different. Once the cooling system is functioning, all you need is base.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We've got a couple family dealers will sell coolant out of their 55 gal drums pretty cheap. Bring yer clean milk jugs! LOL. Then you know you're getting original coolant. Not that you need to, but ..if you want to, call their parts departments.