Crush Sleeve Eliminator Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright so, I regeared a while ago. Working on my 9.25" rear end. Set it all within spec. I don't think my crush sleeve set right somehow, as my pinion bearing preload was too low, backlash was too high, and my wear pattern seemed to move towards the outside edge of the ring gear (it was dead center when I set up the pinion depth).

So I bought a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Solid spacer with shims. Since my preload was too low (8 in lbs), I decided I would start with the thickness of the crush sleeve, then remove shims in small increments until proper preload was achieved.

First of all I am correct in assuming removing shims increases preload right? As when the crush sleeve gets crushed, preload increases.

Well I started by measuring the thickness of the crush sleeve that came out. .5240".
Then measured the spacer, .5495".
Then I got stumped.. how the hell am I supposed to increase the preload from where it was set, if the spacer without any shims is thicker than the crushed crush sleeve that didn't have enough preload????
Should I use just shims without the spacer? I don't see how that would work.
Do they sell replacement spacers?
Am I SOL on using the eliminator? Will I have to use a new crush sleeve?
Am I (and the internet) wrong? Is preload increased by adding shims?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Preload is the measure of force between the faces. Removing shims should decrease preload

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Preload is the measure of force between the faces. Removing shims should decrease preload
That was my initial thought as well. But not only do multiple forums and discussions of it show removing shims increases preload, even instructions I've found from the manufacturers say remove shims to increase preload.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeah I'm seeing the same now as well upon further reading. I'm not quite sure. Have you emailed mark at all?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You do need to remove shims to increase preload. (allows the bearings to be pulled closer togeather, thereby increasing preload) If you have enough shims you could go that route and not use the spacer.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So your idea of measuring the original crush sleeve and going a couple thousandths thinner with shims, should get you close.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So your idea of measuring the original crush sleeve and going a couple thousandths thinner with shims, should get you close.
Yeah I figured that's what I should do, but the spacer alone is already thicker than the crush sleeve that was in it. With only the spacer and no shims I have about 4 in lbs of preload.

I'm going to see about taking it into the shop and see if we can machine the spacer down about a tenth of an inch. Hopefully that will get me to where I need

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I'm confused. are you talking about shims between pinion head and larger cone brg, or beneath the large brg cup and casting, or between small brg cup and casting?

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm confused. are you talking about shims between pinion head and larger cone brg, or beneath the large brg cup and casting, or between small brg cup and casting?
I am talking about the shims that come with the aftermarket crush sleeve eliminator, along with a solid spacer, which go in between the bearings on the pinion shaft, and replace the crush sleeve and serve the purpose of setting the preload on the bearings.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You definitely have to remove shims to raise the preload with this set-up.I've done a **** wagon load of rear ends over the years and never really had any issues just using the crush collars.That brg preload isn't as critical as you'd think.At least no where's near as critical as pinion depth.backlash etc...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank