Cut outs near the tail gate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So am am looking to mount a fire extinguisher. I was thinking of putting it here where these cutouts are, but then was wondering what are they actually for. Don’t want to block it if it’s I could use it for something good. Also, any ideas or locations you guys mounted your fire extinguishers?
Thanks! IMG_0091.jpeg

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have mounted mine under the driver's seat. I could pull it out as I get out of the truck if need be.
Brings up an interesting point ..... Has anyone ever had an Insurance company pay for your extinguisher when you use it for someone else's benefit?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Daw14 that never occurred to me, but you are right! In an electrical fire that powered tailgate latch may not work.
HINT: U leave outside in bed, U may go out one day and find out Someone else "borrowed" your fire extinguisher, just saying. And if under like a topper or bed cover, than there is the what is the gate not open since the new ones are all electronic now. Just an observation.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The bad thing about mounting it inside ,is it becomes a hell'va projectile in an accident. Odds of being in an accident are higher then the odds of the truck burning to the ground. Just my .02 .

Ralph Mauro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have your vehicle insured it will be covered under fire and theft. I don't know about you but I'm paying a pretty penny for insurance and unless it's something major chances are I'm not putting a claim through in fear of rates going higher. If the truck catches on fire better off putting the flames out with gasoline. LOL.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have your vehicle insured it will be covered under fire and theft. I don't know about you but I'm paying a pretty penny for insurance and unless it's something major chances are I'm not putting a claim through in fear of rates going higher. If the truck catches on fire better off putting the flames out with gasoline. LOL.
Hopefully. But if you are like many of us here and have modded your truck, might not be so simple. Insurance companies are experts at not paying out.

I have a smaller one in my back seat mounted to the floor on the transmission tunnel. It is just bolted through the Mopar heavy duty floor mats. I can reach over the center console and snap it out if I need to.

Note: This is picture is a few years old. I have a console, not a jump seat now and have the extinguisher mounted as far forward as it goes. Quad cab is kind of tiny though so it definitely eats up that middle seat. Not that anyone ever sits there in my case.

IMG_20190908_125936751~2.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am required to have 2 Ten pound Fire Extinguishers, when i go on a job.
Instead i carry, one 10 pound ABC
One 5 pound ABC
Two 2 1/2 pound Halogen, best for engine compartment fires

To get to them,
I just drop my tailgate
Pull out my Bed Slide
Lift the lid on my tool box
The Fire Extinguishers are right on Top, along with my 2nd Full Sized First Aid Kit
& my Road Flares

1696902654236.png

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I'm at a real delema on the extinguisher mounting. I'm going to try under the seat.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The bad thing about mounting it inside ,is it becomes a hell'va projectile in an accident. Odds of being in an accident are higher then the odds of the truck burning to the ground. Just my .02 .
Fire risk seems to depend on payment status. At the VFD, we see city folk cars have a tendency to combust in farmers fields when payments are late.

We just keep the fire from spreading in the field and let the car burn to the ground. No sense getting hurt for a total loss.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
When I modded the back seat (crew cab) so it can fold forward that became the spot for the extinguisher.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So do you need 2 different typed of extinguishers/ One for electrical one for gasoline?

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"To get to them,
I just drop my tailgate
Pull out my Bed Slide
Lift the lid on my tool box
The Fire Extinguishers are right on Top",...by the time you get to the extinguisher GT you we all could have had a coffee and muffin...LOL...and hopefully you were not rear ended in a multiple car incident..just a point ..no disrespect.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had a fire extinguisher in every vehicle I have owned. Thankfully never needed it for myself, but have used them on occasion on other vehicles. In the truck, (regular) cab I keep one behind the seat, and also one in the box of the truck. I mount two HD magnets onto the bracket, and place the extinguisher just inside the bed. Both are ABC type, but I have always wanted a Halon extinguisher, but they are not cheap. I guess having a fire extinguisher in a vehicle is just a good piece of mind, like having them around your house or shop.