Diesel Fuel Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimworld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Deisel
Has anyone noticed a difference in diesel quality and your mileage? I assumed that diesel #2 was all the same. When I need to fill up, I look on Gas buddy to find the cheapest fuel in the area. I found a station that is about a nickle a gallon cheaper than the next cheapest station but now my mileage has dropped below 20 MPG. I normally get around 21.

This is my 1st diesel truck. if there is a difference, what should I be looking for?

OP
OP
J

Jimworld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Deisel
You're looking mostly for cetane rating differences and blends. Some fuel dispensed in winter is a blend of #1 & #2 which can have an impact on fuel quality and mileage.

There's a bit more to it than that. Here's a good article on the differences in diesel fuel:

https://www.progressivedairy.com/to...mechanics-corner-the-truth-about-diesel-fuels

Thanks for the article. It was very informative. I don't think I have seen the cetane rating at any of the gas station I have been to. I know that the staff at the gas station will have no clue what cetane is or even how to spell it. In Southern California there is no need for a winterized blend, so that should not be the issue with my lower mileage. I next time I need fuel, I will go back to the name brand stations and see if the mileage goes back up.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
You really never know. All you can do is trust the refinery blends the fuel properly, especially in the winter...Case in point...When I had my diesel trucks I always filled up at the same station because I knew they sold the most diesel fuel in the area. One day I went to fill up in mid january, stuck the nozzle in the truck, and sat in the truck till full. All of a sudden I hear the motor start to make a serious internal noise and proceed to shutdown. I jumped out of the truck and shut the nozzle off. I then pulled it out and gave it a quick squirt and saw the fuel coming out of the nozzle like a slushy snow cone. The fuel was gelled inside the underground tank. I poured some anti-gel in the tank and prcedded to try and start the truck again. After 3 attempts it finally started and smoked like an MF'r...After this ordeal I made a mental note that this would be the last of 5 diesels I would ever own...Obviously it wasn't the trucks fault, but all the other diesel related issues over the years like the stanadyne injector pumps I had to replace, it was time to go back to a gasser...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Take a good look at the diesel pump for a sticker when you return. I believe they have to post fuel ratings on the pump.