Diesel vs Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am actually thinking about doing the opposite. I am getting the bug to build me another off road Jeep. Only problem is that most lifted Jeeps with large tires do not fit in toy haulers so I just scraped the toy hauler idea so the wife can have her "doll house" as I call it. Then one day when I was out wheeling at Hidden Falls I saw a setup like this.

View attachment 64858

View attachment 64859

Truck Camper On A Gooseneck

I figure since I already have a gooseneck flatbed then a used truck camper can't be all that expensive. Hell, I can even use it when I go on hunting trips up north where I can bring my own rig and a place to sleep.

We thought of doing something similar with a Pop-up camper. Used pop ups are cheap. We looked at truck campers too, found they cost as much as a full size camper. I stumbled across the our WnP researching them. The dealer in AZ had ordered it with 2 AC units and a bigger onan. It showed up with 1 and the smaller onan. In AZ that's a lot of camper to keep cool. They had a hard time moving it and had the price thousands less than anywhere else. We couldn't resist. Even after shipping it was less than any other with a Onan.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is this feller who tows a camper like mine with a Tundra...

10550936_10204576321788383_3276282667768934139_n.jpg

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have 4 kids in college, 1 of them in med school. You guys are ******* me off....

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I have 4 kids in college, 1 of them in med school. You guys are ******* me off....

Investing in your kid's future is way more important than RVs. Yeah, it sucks right now, but it will be all worth it in the end especially without them having to work two or even three jobs to finish school and barely pass like I did. My pops didn't have the money for me to go to college like he planned and it all went to keeping my mom alive (which I don't regret one bit). So being able to say you sent four kids to college giving them a head start is a lot more respectable and admirable accomplishment than some measly RV.

My props to you on that. :shake:

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's

Wife and I are in saving mode too..... :argue: :buttkick: :emotions122: :kiss1: ( my life..sometimes)

6.4 dude, don't you have at least 1 picture of the 16,000# of crappers you haul every so often with that god for bidden 3.2L Hemi as 4 cylinders are usually not working .... :roflsquared::crazy:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks Tex, me and the wife's time will get here soon. We actually have six kids (me 5, her 1) all within 4 years of each other and we had a less fortunate school mate move in with us as well. Grocery bill was $1200 hundred a month! Good times though.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Holy crap! I can't even imagine! I have one that is about to start, one in his last year high school, then I get a 5 year breather until the next one is headed there.

That's a heck of a load to carry. Good on ya man!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wife and I are in saving mode too..... :argue: :buttkick: :emotions122: :kiss1: ( my life..sometimes)

6.4 dude, don't you have at least 1 picture of the 16,000# of crappers you haul every so often with that god for bidden 3.2L Hemi as 4 cylinders are usually not working .... :roflsquared::crazy:

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. It's a deck over gooseneck with a 1200 gallon ss tank. Tank and trailer go 7000# empty. I haven't weighed full but calculating off water weight it get heavy quick.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. It's a deck over gooseneck with a 1200 gallon ss tank. Tank and trailer go 7000# empty. I haven't weighed full but calculating off water weight it get heavy quick.

If the tanks full of floaters you can't really go off water weight... lol.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine are 6 and 3. Have time yet, but put away a lil every month for their future.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If the tanks full of floaters you can't really go off water weight... lol.

It's generally over 90% liquid between the 5 gallon of charge water per toilet and the "other" liquids. But yea, the floaters we get plenty of those!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine are 6 and 3. Have time yet, but put away a lil every month for their future.
What you find out is once you are done bringing yours out to the world, they have children, then you find your self setting up and funding 529 savings plans for your grandchildren. Never ends :)

Been there and done that, five boys, three out and two still in college.

No need to upload them to photobucket. Just click the attachment manager in red below and upload your pics.
P1010195.jpg

I'll be, didn't realize this forum allowed direct attachments. Thanks for the tip. :)
That isn't my truck in the picture, I think it is the kid bring the tractor back in his Duramax.

Last edited:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Secrets of Better Fuel Economy
The Physics of MPG

By the way Avolnek, if you read in there where it talks about gearing recommendations and tells you to go to Cummins Powerspec, the Powerspec application will tell you that the Cummins 6.7L should be at 1,800-2,100 rpm for optimal fuel efficiency when towing. The 6th gear on our trucks is too tall to put us at that rpm which is why I always recommend to use 5th when towing since it puts you right about 1,900 rpm when towing at 65 mph and a little over 2,050 rpm when towing at 70 mph. If you are towing at 80 mph then 6th would put you at 1,800 rpm, but I don't recommend towing that fast.

Edit: For anyone towing a 5th wheel, I would also recommend aerodynamic aids. Some products, like the AeroShield wind deflector by Icon, really do make a difference in mileage and with general highway towing of these big brick behemoths.

That is an awesome read...

that is exactly how i tow as well... dropping the 3.42 geared pickup into 5th at 62 mph puts me right at the 1800 mark rpm wise.

tows with ease there and seems to be as efficient as it gets...

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love the way laughter echoes in my cavern of extra payload.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm a big fan of my 4,000lbs of payload. I carry my Prius around in the box for when I run out of gas in the truck.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Avolnek, whats the pin weight on that? I got the 1 ton cause I didnt want it squatting like my old lady in the woods :) As you can see from my pic, it still squats a little. Cant remember the amount of movement after measuring. Think it was 2". My sticker shows 3773 (big horn with pretty much the works). Mine is a t.h. btw so I know it's more pin weight

http://www.ramforum.com/members/cc_..._301_toy_hauler-picture19845-torque_road.html

Sorry havent read up on how to insert pic instead of link

How do you like your Anderson hitch, I've been looking at one and I'm doing my search on one?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I'm a big fan of my 4,000lbs of payload. I carry my Prius around in the box for when I run out of gas in the truck.

Do you use the prius to pull the 6.4 up the Ike?? It could probably do better!:roflsquared: