Differential oil & additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have the answer as to how many quarts? This stuff (Redline synthetic) can add up and I don't want to purchase more than I need. Thanks

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rear about 2.5 & front about 2 qts

This is the amounts for OEM diff covers .... I think the Mag-Hytec increases by 1.5qts

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Rude: if I was guessing I would bet to wager the mag-hytec adds at least another Qt to your fill. I would at least have 4qts on hand.

Maybe others who have installed this same cover will chime in and give you an exact amount.

Last edited:

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rude: if I was guessing I would bet to wager the mag-hytec adds at least another Qt to your fill. I would at least have 4qts on hand.

Maybe others who have installed this same cover will chime in and give you an exact amount.

Thanks! Based on a couple of posts it has been suggested it takes 5, which would be a lot! Still hoping someone who has already done it replies?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ok Gents: lets chat about the front differential a bit.
I am close too 20K miles and have not changed this oil yet. ��

I have plans on doing this service next week. And since I just recently discovered thanks to a few of you that the front differential turns all the time when the vehicle is in motion. I honestly had no clue this system was designed like this.

My important question to you all is how often should the front differential be serviced?
Common sense tells me not near as often as the rear end. Since the rear end is the main force of moving the vehicle. A lot more pressure and stress is always applied to the gears & oil all the time when the auto is in motion.

Also since most of us are using redline does this add more miles to the service? Say if we was using regular conventional gear oil and we were going to do your service at 30,000 miles. Does the redline oil extend this service to 50 or 60,000 miles?

Just a few questions for everybody to talk about or discuss.

I was really contemplating changing my rear end oil every 40,000 miles and doing the front end every 50 to 60,000 miles while using the redline.

Your thoughts?

Yes I am at work while most of you are sound asleep. It's stupid!

Last edited:

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have plans on doing this service next week. And since I just recently discovered thanks to a few of you that the front differential turns all the time when the vehicle is in motion. I honestly had no clue this system was designed like this.

My important question to you all is how often should the front differential be serviced?
Common sense tells me not near as often as the rear end. Since the rear end is the main force of moving the vehicle. A lot more pressure and stress is always applied to the gears & oil all the time when the auto is in motion.

Also since most of us are using redline does this add more miles to the service? Say if we was using regular conventional gear oil and we were going to do your service at 30,000 miles. Does the redline oil extend this service to 50 or 60,000 miles?

Just a few questions for everybody to talk about or discuss.

I was really contemplating changing my rear end oil every 40,000 miles and doing the front end every 50 to 60,000 miles while using the redline.

Your thoughts?

Yes I am at work while most of you are sound asleep. It's stupid!

This is one of the reasons to use a Mag-Hytec. It makes dropping and replacing the oil a piece of cake and it adds more capacity therefore extending the service life. Now if I could only get an answer as to how much more oil!

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Change it as much as you want. You have to find a schedule that lets you sleep. I think you could go 100,000 miles with the lubricants we have today under normal service. Severe service would be 30,000 - 50,000. I'm going to do mine every 50,000 which I think is extremely conservative with how I operate the vehicle. I have no limited slip, a V-6 with a rear-end that could be behind the Hemi and I never tow.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Here is my 2 cents and keep in mind I have a 2500 but I suspect it should be similar with the 1500's.

I changed all my fluid (front, rear & transfer) at 20,000 miles when I installed my AEV covers. The rear diff fluid was well used as expected but the front diff and transfer case fluid came out like new and probably could have been poured back in and reused. This is with maybe a couple hundred miles of 4WD use from last winter.

Given the good condition my front diff and transfer case fluid came out, I plan to just changes those at every other change when I do the rear diff fluid.

I am not picky about fluid brands and just pickup whatever I can get at Walmart in either the house Supertech brand or whatever other name brands they may have on the shelf. I plan to run a rear diff fluid change every 20K miles and just change the front diff and transfer case fluids every 40K. If I every went to a more boutique brand like Redline or Amsoil, I would double those intervals.

Reactions: SyN

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is my 2 cents and keep in mind I have a 2500 but I suspect it should be similar with the 1500's.

I changed all my fluid (front, rear & transfer) at 20,000 miles when I installed my AEV covers. The rear diff fluid was well used as expected but the front diff and transfer case fluid came out like new and probably could have been poured back in and reused. This is with maybe a couple hundred miles of 4WD use from last winter.

Given the good condition my front diff and transfer case fluid came out, I plan to just changes those at every other change when I do the rear diff fluid.

I am not picky about fluid brands and just pickup whatever I can get at Walmart in either the house Supertech brand or whatever other name brands they may have on the shelf. I plan to run a rear diff fluid change every 20K miles and just change the front diff and transfer case fluids every 40K. If I every went to a more boutique brand like Redline or Amsoil, I would double those intervals.
Mine was similar. Rear diff fluid was pretty spent and the tcase and front diff were pretty much new. Did mine at 18k. I used Redline in both diff's and Amsoil MVATF in my tcase. I'm probably just going to do a 20k interval on all three but check the rear at 15k. For me that's at least 2years...

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! Based on a couple of posts it has been suggested it takes 5, which would be a lot! Still hoping someone who has already done it replies?

It takes 3qts to fill my Mag-Hytec

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the few replies on the possible service intervals.
Here is what I think I will put into the phone app I have that keeps track of all my services.
Red Line oils listed in my signature are the specific oils used per unit.

Rearend: Service every 40K miles
Transfer case: Service every 40K miles
Frontend: Service every 60K miles
Transmission: Drain & Refill @ 50K miles / replace Spin-on filter every 25K miles. Replace pan @ 100K miles & Spin-on filter

These service intervals will all be in place directly after I feel the initial break-in wear metals have been expelled from each unit.
The Rearend & Transfer case are now scheduled.
The Frontend factory fill will be drained next week and then put on schedule.
The Transmission is a totally different animal and is already on schedule. The addition of the spin-on filter kit added to the service life of the ZF Fluid.

These are all subject to change but as for now ----> My OCD is satisfied!

Now please remember: These services are only now in place for the simple reasons I (Myself) have plans on driving my Ram for many more years past payoff.
If I was only keeping my Ram for a few years? I would not give a flip about any of this and just fill it up with fuel & drive it.

Last edited:

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, some good reading here...thought I'd post a quick question. I bought the additive from Chrysler for my rear diff. I Also already bought Amsoil for the rear diff, but just realized the Amsoil bottles say the additive is already in it. Can I trust this, or should I just put the additive in anyways just because I already have it?
Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your dif will let you know if it needs the additive, if you feel shudder or chatter on throttle you add it one ounce at a time until the shudder is gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all, some good reading here...thought I'd post a quick question. I bought the additive from Chrysler for my rear diff. I Also already bought Amsoil for the rear diff, but just realized the Amsoil bottles say the additive is already in it. Can I trust this, or should I just put the additive in anyways just because I already have it?
Thank you

When done take a quick test drive to the nearest large parking lot and then: :
Windows down
Music off
Do 5 -7 Left & Right slow turns @ near full lock of the steering wheel ( tight turns ) if you hear or feel chatter from the rear end go back home & add the additive as BBB aka Big Bad Burla
suggested above 1ea oz at a time .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend says just dump the bottle in, it can't hurt it.
Can I hurt the diff if I just put the whole bottle in? It's I think s 6 oz bottle or so.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A friend says just dump the bottle in, it can't hurt it.
Can I hurt the diff if I just put the whole bottle in? It's I think s 6 oz bottle or so.

Not sure if too much friction modifier is a good thing ??
I'd lean toward what I & Burla posted above ...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't really know if it will hurt or not, try google on that, but I was always told just add it if needed and then a little at a time. Usually there will be instructions on the bottle and in your service manual. I would look there first as opposed to a friend, even though I'm sure he means well.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep if the Amsoil bottle says it already has the additive then , I'd do the test I posted above (5-7 ea tight turns R & L ) and add as Burla suggested above ...