DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I think I am going to pull the trigger on a steering wheel so I can get leather and audio controls. I have a 2015 black express CC with the 5.0.

Definitely plug and play??

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vito

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I just did this today and I really like it.
Yeah...was a bit of ***** to get airbag popped off but after that pretty simple with the right parts and harnesses.

I had 3 old style steering wheel pullers and naturally none would work on this wheel so I checked out the one O'Reilly's had ( hook style) and was a breeze.

Next up: that damned hands free BT microphone, rear view mirror and overhead console.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I just did this today and I really like it.
Yeah...was a bit of ***** to get airbag popped off but after that pretty simple with the right parts and harnesses.

I had 3 old style steering wheel pullers and naturally none would work on this wheel so I checked out the one O'Reilly's had ( hook style) and was a breeze.

Next up: that damned hands free BT microphone, rear view mirror and overhead console.

That's what I used and it works magic. I've probably pulled and installed 8-10 of the ram steering wheels and I've got it down to not even needing to look anymore can do it all by touch.

luckymckay21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I did this mod yesterday on my new truck. It was a little nerve racking taking apart my steering wheel on my 10 hour old truck, but thanks to your instructions was able to get it done! The airbag came off for me quick and easy! It was getting that damn steering wheel off that caused all the problems!!! No O'Riellys by me, so had to try 2 different pullers from auto zone, of which neither worked, and bought a third from harbour freight which also didn't work. Couldn't get the pressure screw to line up with the steering shaft properly. Finally after a couple hours of messing around trying to jerry rig the pullers to work and tightening the puller to the point I thought I was going to break something, I just yanked on the wheel a couple times real hard and wahlah!! The wheel finally came off! The harness was a bit tricky, but not to bad.
Good to go now and definitely love having the controls on the steering wheel!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
So I did this mod yesterday on my new truck. It was a little nerve racking taking apart my steering wheel on my 10 hour old truck, but thanks to your instructions was able to get it done! The airbag came off for me quick and easy! It was getting that damn steering wheel off that caused all the problems!!! No O'Riellys by me, so had to try 2 different pullers from auto zone, of which neither worked, and bought a third from harbour freight which also didn't work. Couldn't get the pressure screw to line up with the steering shaft properly. Finally after a couple hours of messing around trying to jerry rig the pullers to work and tightening the puller to the point I thought I was going to break something, I just yanked on the wheel a couple times real hard and wahlah!! The wheel finally came off! The harness was a bit tricky, but not to bad.
Good to go now and definitely love having the controls on the steering wheel!

Went through exactly what you did the auto zone steering wheel puller, was free to borrow, big deal it was not of any use at all. I left the bolt in about 4 or 5 turns and hit from behind with my palms and it poped on the third try in like 3 minutes. I spent a few wasted hours running back and forth and trying to make the POS auto zone wheel puller work.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I used the auto zone one first, and ended up snapping all the bolts that it came with. Got some grade 10 bolts that were just small enough to fit in the holes and some washers and went to town. O'reilleys works so much better.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Just picked this up, I already have a full leather wheel? One of them might be up for sale soon.

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

Last edited:

15BLACKRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
did this mod friday... went great and had no need for a wheel puller.. the only problem i had was i pinched a horn wire so as soon as i hooked the battery back up, she went off.. not a good thing at 9pm. took a while to figure that out.. but once i did and got the wire taped up. golden it's a great mod, still can't figure out why it is not just standard factory..

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine
did this mod friday... went great and had no need for a wheel puller.. the only problem i had was i pinched a horn wire so as soon as i hooked the battery back up, she went off.. not a good thing at 9pm. took a while to figure that out.. but once i did and got the wire taped up. golden it's a great mod, still can't figure out why it is not just standard factory..

I also have a 15 black ram, what did you end up adding, control kit or entire wheel? If wheel, what type, leather, wood??

Thanks!

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
How did you manage to do so without pulling the wheel?

I think he means the wheel was loose enough some good muscles took it off.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I ordered the kit. I'm looking for a black leather steering wheel to match the black leather clazzio seat covers i just ordered. So if anyone has one or has a good source let me know please .

Ebay has a brown one and the 2 on car-part I got a hold of one and says it isn't leather even though it says leather and haven't gotten a hold of the other guy yet

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I found a 2012 wheel. Will that work on my 2014 and since the 2012 doesn't have the 8-speed gear selector can I just swap the controls from the 2014 into the 2012 wheel and it has the audio controls

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Be patient and wait for a 2013'and up wheel, the brown one you found is
It by a seller named seats and such, he has steering wheels all the time, and will
Probably have a black one or two in short order. If you do buy one that has the wrong color bezel or does not have the gear shift you can just swap your stuff out. But again wait and get a 2013 and up. I have no association with the aforementioned ebayer other than I have bought 2 wheels from him and they were in nice shape and as advertised. One of them with the wood grain is posted on this thread in a prior post.

Oh and if you buy a leather wheel it will likely come with the audio buttons already in it so you will not need the ones you bought. Maybe you would be able to return them or sell them to another member.

Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yea that's the seller. I looked them up from probably your post in this thread. I went searching part numbers and 12 was different than 13-14 so I figured I'd better wait. Thanks

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Is the connector for the heated wheel there on a 14 express?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
No, would need to replace your clock spring, to get the connector, add the heated seat module and a few harnesses and find a dealer to add the sales codes so far I have not seen anyone successfully do it not mention would cost a lot. The clock spring is like 150.00 alone. I know on the other site several tried and even had the dealer do the work and no dice.

I am sure with enough fortitude and replacement parts or innovation it could be made to work, but cost vrs benefit is just not there.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
More hassle than its worth. The remote start does the job just fine. Thanks for the quick response. I should have the leather wheel on the way tomorrow. He had heated and nonheated for sale.

L84DNR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed this kit in my truck and took me about 45 minutes, love it already. A lot easier then I thought it was going to be. Before I bolted the steering wheel back on I reconnected the negative and made sure my clock spring didn't move, then I disconnected the negative and finished the install. Way easier then taking the wheel back off.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just finished this install, took much longer than I expected. The Air Bag piece wasn't too bad since I had watched the video a few times and used the "front facing camera" trick on my smartphone. My main holdup was the center bolt that holds the steering wheel on. My socket set was too small to provide the leverage needed to pry it off. I ended up having to use a longer handled ratchet (thanks neighbor) and it loosened right up and the rest of the install flew through. Also I was trying to be really careful with the clock spring, but the airbag connections were fed through that small hole in the steering wheel, so when the wheel finally came off and those air bag connectors fed through and spun the heck out of the clockspring.