DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much for the leather with audio controls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lw13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
About to do this mod, just waiting on back cover to come. I have pieced together the kit quite cheap. I bought the switches out of an 14 Avenger from a local you-pull-it yard for $2.50 each, the harness off ebay for $10 and the cover from QuirkParts.com for $25.84. So, under $41 for this awesome mod:peace:

I'm excited about to doing this mod, just waiting on back cover to come.

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am taking mine apart as we speak, airbag went easy, however I am to the steering wheel 13MM screw, even though negative of battery is disconnected, the wheel turns with the screw, any advice?

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I am taking mine apart as we speak, airbag went easy, however I am to the steering wheel 13MM screw, even though negative of battery is disconnected, the wheel turns with the screw, any advice?
Gotta hold the wheel still.

-JT

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotta hold the wheel still.

-JT

Ok I got the wheel loose and such, but the plug that is in the colume (I assume Clock Spring still connects to wheel, do I unplug or remove the clock spring it's my last step.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Ok I got the wheel loose and such, but the plug that is in the colume (I assume Clock Spring still connects to wheel, do I unplug or remove the clock spring it's my last step.
Unplug the harness from the clock spring and DO NOT spin it with the wheel off!!

-JT

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unplug the harness from the clock spring and DO NOT spin it with the wheel off!!

-JT

I can post picture if needed but around page 20 mentions a recall, my steering wheel wires were zip tied to the air bag wires with a black zip tie. Since everyone says don't move the clock spring I was extra careful. When I cut the zip tie the wheel could be removed.

So to summarize the clock spring has wires for the air bag those stay put and don't move the clock springs but there could be a zip tie that keeps them attached that needs to be cut to release the wires from the wheel and clock spring.

I hope that makes sense.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My airbag wires were attached to a wire holder that plugs into the back of the wheel. The white plug from the wheel was not wire tied to that or the airbag wires. A pin stretegically placed just to the left of the white connector will prevent the clock spring from spinning. The recall does not zip tie the steering wheel wires to the airbag wires but I suppose thats how someone did it.

Wbhvacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just completed this and I have some advise , you can use a small Allen wrench to put through the steering wheel socket left hand side BUT make sure you don't turn the wheel after that as I broke off the locating tab at the 6 o'clock position and had to glue it back to the clock spring :****sweak:

Other than that it went flawless:naughty:
This works with the base radio as that is what I have installed until I get mirror with microphones and harness to go with my 5.0

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys this is a very easy mod and I can't thank everyone enough with all the step by step details and the video's. I also went to O'Reilly's and "rented" the steering wheel puller for 60 dollars and have 48 hours to return for a complete refund so it's free.

My only issue was I marked the old steering wheel but of course when I installed the new one, there were no marks so when I put it back together the wheel is off a little, not a lot but enough that in the morning I will pull it back off and fix it.
Also I had an Upholster tool (It's made to pop the rivets that hold the door panels and such in place, it was perfect) and literally the air bag I removed in under 2 minutes.

Again thanks everyone.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Guys this is a very easy mod and I can't thank everyone enough with all the step by step details and the video's. I also went to O'Reilly's and "rented" the steering wheel puller for 60 dollars and have 48 hours to return for a complete refund so it's free.

My only issue was I marked the old steering wheel but of course when I installed the new one, there were no marks so when I put it back together the wheel is off a little, not a lot but enough that in the morning I will pull it back off and fix it.
Also I had an Upholster tool (It's made to pop the rivets that hold the door panels and such in place, it was perfect) and literally the air bag I removed in under 2 minutes.

Again thanks everyone.

I know this is a little old, but I am curious about something? I have done several of these and seem to remember the steering wheel and shaft are keyed on these trucks meaning the spline on the column and the wheel can only be put on one way and cannot be clocked at all.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I know this is a little old, but I am curious about something? I have done several of these and seem to remember the steering wheel and shaft are keyed on these trucks meaning the spline on the column and the wheel can only be put on one way and cannot be clocked at all.

Mine wasn't. I had to re adjust mine when I did it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
That's weird

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
That's weird

I find it extremely weird, that yours was not, and if you bought a replacement wheel that that one was not as well. What it has is one of the splines is larger and different. I am curious now, I will look at the two wheels I have in my basement.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Both of mine had a master spline ...

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had to redo mine like 8 times and it still isn't perfect, so I will have an alignment done so it's straight, weird?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I find it extremely weird, that yours was not, and if you bought a replacement wheel that that one was not as well. What it has is one of the splines is larger and different. I am curious now, I will look at the two wheels I have in my basement.

I didn't use a replacement wheel just the kit

GYSOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I called my Service Tech at Dodge, I am hoping to drop it tomorrow to have them look at it and fix it, he thinks they can look at it under warranty because last time I picked up my truck my airbag was unclipped in once section which was noted. Just updating as everyone is so helpful on this forum.

Jorgemartino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi. Nice write up. I have a 2009 dodge ram 1500 v6 , no steering weel controls at all, no cruise control either, its a plain steering wheel , i just put in a nice double din radio in, and i love to have steerng wheel controls, this will work for me? After i put the switches in, i have to wire them to the radio harnness? I realy apresiate it if you can help me. Thanks a lot. [email protected].