Do any of you miss your Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I was hesitant to get into a gas 2500, as my previous 5 were diesels, amazingly, no regrets so far. I have been 1 year away from my 2016 Cummins, with a Jeep Wrangler, and needed to make the jump back into a truck. I am kind of shocked that I do not miss the diesel at all.

Do any of you wish you had not gone to a 6.4? Ram has really done a great job with it!

To be fair, I no longer tow, and I didn't tow with my 2016 either, but I still don't really miss it. I'm just honestly surprised at how much I like the 6.4

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I went the other way...from a 6.4L to the Cummins.

I miss the 6.4L but I tow and when I do, it's so much nicer to have all that torque.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
There have been a few here that have traded in there 6.4L for a diesel, but not many. Then again, there is not that many diesel owners on this forum since most go to the Cummins forum.

Most here are gas owners, and out of those many that I have seen are willing to believe (or like) others when they say that they get 18 mpg in a gaser or 500k miles out of a 6.4L without replacing anything. They would rather believe a lie than hear the truth so take some of the responses with a grain of salt.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Went from a Duramax to my 6.4 Hemi so I suppose that's close. If I had it to do over I'd probably have gone for another diesel but not by a landslide. The main reason is I upgraded my RV from an 8K TT to a 5th wheel. I could easily afford to sell/buy but am running with my Hemi. It gets the job done with my 11K 5th wheel and is a really nice daily driver.

I try not to get caught up in all the MPG, maintenance cost, longevity BS that these threads inevitably sink to. These trucks are expensive to buy, maintain and put fuel into no matter how you slice it. If anyone is looking to save on those criteria get a used Honda Accord :)

The Hemi is a really nice gasser truck and will likely exceed any expectations you have. But.... and it's a BIG but. It's not a diesel. Nothing pulls and growls like the Cummins.

OCBray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD HO
My past experience with a diesel was not a favorable one. DEF spills, bad sensors, NOS trap failure, constant regins that made your feet feel like you were walking on the surface of the sun in the summer time. It was expensive. But it may have just been a bad egg. The up side was the mileage and the available torque.

I could not take that chance again. The wife would have smothered me in my sleep. She hated the diesel.

All that said. I bought the 6.4. and love it, wish it had better gearing. I will be updating the gear set to at least 4:10. I'm thinking I should go bigger than that. We will be using the truck to tow our 7500lb TT about 5 to 6 times a year. Not sure if I need to go all the way up to the 4:56. But still doing some research.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Yeah, and my deleted diesel EVIC says I get 18+ at the end of every tank since I deleted it, but that doesn't mean it actually gets that per my hand calculated number. Usually it is 2 mpg less than what the EVIC states every fill up. I guess if I wanted to believe a lie rather then the truth, then yeah my truck gets 18+ all the time or better yet I can say it gets 24 mpg since that is what EVIC has stated on the few highway trips where I was forced to do 65 mph instead of the 75-80 that I usually do.

hotdog47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2016 with the 6.4. Has close to 17,000 on it. I live in Eastern Kentucky and drove to Gatlinburg last weekend, going down It got 15.5 gpm and coming back It got 16 mpg all hand calculated. I didn’t think that was to bad.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Do I miss my Cummins? Every time I tow, or get in the mountains. WHen I bought this 6.4 it was the right truck for my needs which included tons of short trips. Now, I am semi-retired and plan to get a gooseneck toyhauler(Sundowner)and do some traveling. I will find out what the 6.4 is made of, as I suspect I will be 20K+ GCWR. Honestly, I suspect there is another Cummins in my future.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, and my deleted diesel EVIC says I get 18+ at the end of every tank since I deleted it, but that doesn't mean it actually gets that per my hand calculated number. Usually it is 2 mpg less than what the EVIC states every fill up. I guess if I wanted to believe a lie rather then the truth, then yeah my truck gets 18+ all the time or better yet I can say it gets 24 mpg since that is what EVIC has stated on the few highway trips where I was forced to do 65 mph instead of the 75-80 that I usually do.
This is the same as mine. Oddly the one in my dads 1500 is really close.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
I miss mine. Bad part about it is, i sold it to a friend and he likes to rub it in with a pic every so often...lolIMAG1049.jpg

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My past experience with a diesel was not a favorable one. DEF spills, bad sensors, NOS trap failure, constant regins that made your feet feel like you were walking on the surface of the sun in the summer time. It was expensive. But it may have just been a bad egg. The up side was the mileage and the available torque.

I could not take that chance again. The wife would have smothered me in my sleep. She hated the diesel.

All that said. I bought the 6.4. and love it, wish it had better gearing. I will be updating the gear set to at least 4:10. I'm thinking I should go bigger than that. We will be using the truck to tow our 7500lb TT about 5 to 6 times a year. Not sure if I need to go all the way up to the 4:56. But still doing some research.

I would recommend skipping right past the 4.10's to something steeper. IMO, it's still not enough to make up for the lazy 1-3rd trans ratios.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would recommend skipping right past the 4.10's to something steeper. IMO, it's still not enough to make up for the lazy 1-3rd trans ratios.

I am towing a pull behind TH and the 4.10's are doing good for me, my TH is about 7700-8500 LBS loaded, I am towing from GA. to FL. no big mounts. Around town the truck has good pick-up and go. I am adding the power commander to see if it tows any different and help the MPG they offer a 30 day buy back and my next trip is plan for the last week on June.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Just out of curiosity, what year and model was your last diesel and at what mileage what it at when you got rid of it?

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never owned a diesel so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

1. Diesels are expensive to fix.
2. Not worth the extra if you don't tow regularly.
3. They ALL break down...gas or diesel.

I pull a 12k pound boat and my 6.4 with 4.10 gears does a great job. The biggest reason I've never considered a diesel is because my truck is my dd and I live 4 miles from work. I'd destroy a diesel.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I've never owned a diesel so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

1. Diesels are expensive to fix.
2. Not worth the extra if you don't tow regularly.
3. They ALL break down...gas or diesel.

I pull a 12k pound boat and my 6.4 with 4.10 gears does a great job. The biggest reason I've never considered a diesel is because my truck is my dd and I live 4 miles from work. I'd destroy a diesel.

2. I would wager that if most people actually did the math, they would probably find out they paid more for the upgrade to the 6.4L from the 5.7L than the Cummins would cost over the 6.4L at 100k at trade in or resale even if you don't tow.

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm referring to extra cost of maintenance and repairs. I agree on the initial cost over gas and trade/resale value.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am towing a pull behind TH and the 4.10's are doing good for me, my TH is about 7700-8500 LBS loaded, I am towing from GA. to FL. no big mounts. Around town the truck has good pick-up and go. I am adding the power commander to see if it tows any different and help the MPG they offer a 30 day buy back and my next trip is plan for the last week on June.

No doubt, but for the cash involved in a gear change (assuming 4wd) I still wouldn't see the point in just going to 4.10's. It's not really that big of a jump IMO having driven both (3.73's and 4.10's).